Tattoos affecting jobs

Watch
marii7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Do you think that having tattoos still affects your career prospects?
I want to get tattoos on my arms; not sleeves but not just tiny things either. I want to work in the conservation/development sector, working for humanitarian or nature organisations abroad. Realistically, do you think having visible tattoos would affect me getting jobs?
Would love to get any kind of feedback or maybe if anyone has experienced this discrimination?

Posted from TSR Mobile
buzzicon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
can't you just use non permanent colour transfers instead??
Some people have a prejudice against tattoos/
EPAA
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It really does depend on your employer. I spent 2 years working on the tills at a checkout and quite a number of people had visible tattoos, excusing a few customers, no-one had a problem. At the same time, my Aunt who works as a HR manager for the same chain said to me that she would not (willingly) give a front of house job to anyone with any form of tattoo or 'extreme' piercing on show.

Personally I think it's best to wait until you're in a relatively stable job before you start considering getting the arms done. I've started on my legs and I recon it'll be about 10 or so years before I feel the need to get up there. But yeah, you'd be naive to think people don't judge on appearances, especially when it comes to tattoos (stupid, but hey ho).
redferry
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by marii7)
I want to get tattoos on my arms; not sleeves but not just tiny things either. I want to work in the conservation/development sector, working for humanitarian or nature organisations abroad. Realistically, do you think having visible tattoos would affect me getting jobs?
Would love to get any kind of feedback or maybe if anyone has experienced this discrimination?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It won't matter at all in conservation, no one really gives a crap what you look like. If you plan to work abroad however it might offend other cultures or prevent people wanting to work woth you so that is something to think about.
phoebe17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My mum interviews all applicants at her work (employing about 400) and as of yet they won't happily employ anyone with visible tattoos or 'extreme' piercings.

Saying that, a few employees have lots of ear piercings or a small visible tattoo or too but they were very strong applicants. In your line of work it shouldn't be too much of an issue, just make sure they're not objectionable (i.e. skulls are a huge no go)
Jmaesparker
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yup, I agree that in professional atmosphere it do not look good.One should be decent looking in an office.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A job like that is going to be full of hippies and anarcho-primitivists so you will probably be all right.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
Probably, but you can cover them.
It'sIrrelevant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just make sure they are easily covered by office-clothing, short and long sleeved. Also, nowhere near the head (including the back of the neck), ankles or hands
Catherine_H
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by marii7)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely. I don't agree with it, but having visible tattoos will definitely affect your job prospects. Some employers are fine, but more corporate employers won't allow you to work there unless you can cover them. I have no idea about your sector of work tbh, but is it really worth the risk? Just make sure you can cover them up with long sleeved shirts if necessary - no problem! I have tattoos and intend to work in healthcare, but I just wouldn't get them anywhere like my hands or neck
SailorCherries
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have 8 tattoos and have had a range of jobs from McDonalds, lifeguard, swim teaching and, most recently, HMRC (we were not customer facing and so all hairstyles, tattoos, piercings etc were acceptable as long as they weren't racist/sectarian/offensive etc).

The only tattoo that you could quite easily see would be a small one on my inner wrist: two lines of writing, a name and DOB. If I wore a skirt/dress without tights you'd see two/three other tattoos: a dreamcatcher, a small symbol and writing (depending on the shoe).

I chose all of my placements based on how easy they may be to cover: trousers/tights/socks will cover my lower half ones and a watch/bracelet/cardigan or long sleeved tshirt/shirt can cover my wrist one. Although I have had no problems getting jobs or a place on my postgrad course with these tattoos I do know that during interviews I am better off covering them.
tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tattoos are a problem if you are in a customer-facing role or a very professional job (lawyer, doctor etc.)

I think for your line of work tattoos would be fine, as long as they're not offensive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (23)
13.22%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.9%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.17%
I need help with my personal statement (73)
41.95%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (40)
22.99%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.72%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
8.05%

Watched Threads