willk96
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I've firmed Leicester to do Computer Science. I'm currently going through the accommodation preference application; however, I'm struggling between GMS and Beaumont, also, I originally wanted to choose self catered but after my applicant open day and other sources, it seems to me that catered is the more sociable (better all round experience) than self catered in Leicester case anyway (because there is more catered rooms than self catered rooms I suppose) so I was wondering if any previous students or current students could shed some light on their experience, it would be much appreciated.

I would really like a sociable halls with quite a few people on each floor, I've heard JoFo is quite unsociable due to the smaller size and the 'hotel' type feel so I defo want GMS or Beaumont and I'm not bothered about en-suite or anything I'm mostly after a Premium Single room.

Thanks, Will.
Hunter_scfc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi. It seems that you have a good idea of what you want which is definitely putting you ahead to apply early (i recommend it definitely).

I lived in block 8 in Beaumont last year and it was quite frankly incredibly sociable. The blocks are made up of long corridors, quite old fashioned, rather than flats. My block had thirty people downstairs so we had a big group which meant it was sociable with similar people for everyone.

Ultimately though in terms of social side it is really down to the people you live with but with blocks like Beaumont and GMS there is a greater number of people so that works in their favour. Saying that, i have friends who lived in John Foster and had a blast.

I am biased but Beaumont is truly an incredible place to live for your first year. The rooms/kitchens are quite basic but that didn't bother me as i wanted the social side more than a nice room. Outside the blocks there are large bits of grass which are incredible in the summer (drinking, playing sports, revising, water fights etc). I would recommend Beaumont to anybody who doesn't mind being catered, basic kitchen but desires large groups of people.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions.
willk96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hunter_scfc)
Hi. It seems that you have a good idea of what you want which is definitely putting you ahead to apply early (i recommend it definitely).

I lived in block 8 in Beaumont last year and it was quite frankly incredibly sociable. The blocks are made up of long corridors, quite old fashioned, rather than flats. My block had thirty people downstairs so we had a big group which meant it was sociable with similar people for everyone.

Ultimately though in terms of social side it is really down to the people you live with but with blocks like Beaumont and GMS there is a greater number of people so that works in their favour. Saying that, i have friends who lived in John Foster and had a blast.

I am biased but Beaumont is truly an incredible place to live for your first year. The rooms/kitchens are quite basic but that didn't bother me as i wanted the social side more than a nice room. Outside the blocks there are large bits of grass which are incredible in the summer (drinking, playing sports, revising, water fights etc). I would recommend Beaumont to anybody who doesn't mind being catered, basic kitchen but desires large groups of people.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions.
Hi,

This was very helpful, thank you!

Just a few other questions, I assume you were catered then? Do those who live in Beaumont and are catered live separately to those who are self catered in Beaumont? Or, do you live with both?

Also, your friends who were self catered did they feel like the missed out on anything or feel out of the loop because they were self catered, what was their general experience?

Thanks, Will.
Hunter_scfc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by willk96)
Hi,

This was very helpful, thank you!

Just a few other questions, I assume you were catered then? Do those who live in Beaumont and are catered live separately to those who are self catered in Beaumont? Or, do you live with both?

Also, your friends who were self catered did they feel like the missed out on anything or feel out of the loop because they were self catered, what was their general experience?

Thanks, Will.
Yeah i was catered, sorry i should have specified.

Beaumont is largely catered accommodation. The majority of people will live in one of eight blocks and they are all catered. There are two self catered houses but they will live with self catered people. It is the same where ever you go. Your house/flat/block will all either be catered/self catered.

I really enjoyed catered as it was a chance to sit down as a group and eat together. We would all go together and catch up on each others days/the night before. I know people who were self catered ate together sometimes though so is still a social side with being self catered.

I know quite a few people who were self catered and still loved it and couldn't imagine being catered. It really depends on you, your house mates and how good you are at cooking.
username823573
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

I've firmed Leicester to do Computer Science. I'm currently going through the accommodation preference application; however, I'm struggling between GMS and Beaumont, also, I originally wanted to choose self catered but after my applicant open day and other sources, it seems to me that catered is the more sociable (better all round experience) than self catered in Leicester case anyway (because there is more catered rooms than self catered rooms I suppose) so I was wondering if any previous students or current students could shed some light on their experience, it would be much appreciated.

I would really like a sociable halls with quite a few people on each floor, I've heard JoFo is quite unsociable due to the smaller size and the 'hotel' type feel so I defo want GMS or Beaumont and I'm not bothered about en-suite or anything I'm mostly after a Premium Single room.

Thanks, Will.
The bit about JoFo being unsociable is the biggest misconception about going to university in Leicester lol. While it makes sense that, because of it's structure, it may not be as sociable as the likes of Beaumont or GMS, it's certainly not unsociable. On each floor are about 8-9 people and you'll see everyone in the dining hall every day. It is harder in a way to meet new people from other blocks but all you have to do is make friends with one of them (e.g. a course mate) and you'll get to know everyone in their flat. If you have mutual friends in other blocks, which is highly likely, then you're bound to know people in other blocks. Plus, before a night out when everyone pre-drinks, rarely does a flat (ours anyway) pre-drink on their own. We always usually have people we know from other blocks. They know people too, who they'll bring along and so on. JoFo is very sociable - it's just the perception of it and layout of the site that leads people to think it isn't, which is not the case.
Hunter_scfc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pavzky)
The bit about JoFo being unsociable is the biggest misconception about going to university in Leicester lol. While it makes sense that, because of it's structure, it may not be as sociable as the likes of Beaumont or GMS, it's certainly not unsociable. On each floor are about 8-9 people and you'll see everyone in the dining hall every day. It is harder in a way to meet new people from other blocks but all you have to do is make friends with one of them (e.g. a course mate) and you'll get to know everyone in their flat. If you have mutual friends in other blocks, which is highly likely, then you're bound to know people in other blocks. Plus, before a night out when everyone pre-drinks, rarely does a flat (ours anyway) pre-drink on their own. We always usually have people we know from other blocks. They know people too, who they'll bring along and so on. JoFo is very sociable - it's just the perception of it and layout of the site that leads people to think it isn't, which is not the case.
He is right. It is more of a stereotype than anything. As i said earlier i know plenty of people who lived in Jofo and loved it. It is ultimately down to the people you live with rather than the accommodation itself.
willk96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pavzky)
Yeah, when I went there I thought JoFo looked nice and the rooms looked new so it was appealing, but it's when I started to look into it that this stereotype became prominent, but I guess if it's a misconception then I'm not too bothered, thanks. As long as I end up in Oadby I will be happy, it's just making this Catered or Self-Catered decision now.
Thank you anyhow.

Will.
JoelC9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hunter_scfc)
My block had thirty people downstairs so we had a big group which meant it was sociable with similar people for everyone.
Haha Block 8 Beaumont. Presumably everyone went to the massive flats in the middle of the block for pre drinks and parties? I'm a GMSer, but sometimes come over for visits.

Hi,
I live in GMS. GMS is in the centre of Oadby, and defintely the most sociable. Looks like a council estate though. And the S Bar is the only real bar in Oadby.

The GMS blocks behind self catered Bowder look a bit run down, but they are very sociable. They are 25-30 person blocks, which means you become quite close to everyone. The premium single rooms are male/female only blocks, while the ensuite are most likely shared blocks, with either sex on one floor. GMS runs the reputation of being more laddish, but it not always the case when you take a peek in the dining hall.

Lasdun in GMS is quite run down, don't go there.

Contrary to what some say, Digby is really nice. It was redone last summer and the rooms are much nicer than Beaumont and GMS rooms (largely the same inside).

Beaumont is generally nicer, quieter (still the fair amount of smoking and drinking), and they have a nicer dining hall. AFAIK their Beaumont bar is dead most of the time, so most people stay in the corridors and rooms. You might run the risk of not knowing some people in your block half way into your year though, because the blocks are bigger.
username823573
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, when I went there I thought JoFo looked nice and the rooms looked new so it was appealing, but it's when I started to look into it that this stereotype became prominent, but I guess if it's a misconception then I'm not too bothered, thanks. As long as I end up in Oadby I will be happy, it's just making this Catered or Self-Catered decision now.
Thank you anyhow.

Will.
I know what you mean. JoFo's a really nice set of halls - high quality and the rooms are huge. I got told JoFo was unsociable too but when you're going to university you make friends without trying so it didn't bother me. Those who say it's unsociable have either just heard it or never lived there. I'm pretty sure everyone who lives/lived at JoFo would have no complaints re. how sociable it is
ZoeMusic
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JoelC9)
Haha Block 8 Beaumont. Presumably everyone went to the massive flats in the middle of the block for pre drinks and parties? I'm a GMSer, but sometimes come over for visits.

I live in GMS. GMS is in the centre of Oadby, and defintely the most sociable. Looks like a council estate though. And the S Bar is the only real bar in Oadby.

The GMS blocks behind self catered Bowder look a bit run down, but they are very sociable. They are 25-30 person blocks, which means you become quite close to everyone. The premium single rooms are male/female only blocks, while the ensuite are most likely shared blocks, with either sex on one floor. GMS runs the reputation of being more laddish, but it not always the case when you take a peek in the dining hall.

Contrary to what some say, Digby is really nice. It was redone last summer and the rooms are much nicer than Beaumont and GMS rooms (largely the same inside).

Beaumont is generally nicer, quieter (still the fair amount of smoking and drinking), and they have a nicer dining hall. AFAIK their Beaumont bar is dead most of the time, so most people stay in the corridors and rooms. You might run the risk of not knowing some people in your block half way into your year though, because the blocks are bigger.

This all sounds amazing I so hope I get to live in Beaumont! x
willk96
Rep:
?

Yeah I heard the S Bar is well good, thanks.

Were you catered? What's your opinion on the whole catered or self-catered aspect in Leicester as it is predominantly catered rooms?
Hart1995
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I wouldn't say Beaumont is quieter at all, it's far bigger than GMS. Plus the bar isn't open.

Beaumont is a nicer GMS. Frankly GMS looks horrible, even the outside grass area isn't that nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.43%
England (143)
34.71%
Belgium (32)
7.77%
Germany (41)
9.95%
Spain (10)
2.43%