The Student Room Group

Should I changing course again. Please help with some advice

Hi I am a 22 year old male student from Glasgow and I'm trying to decide whether I should change courses from Commercial Music to Digital Media and Information Studies. I am really in need of some advice please as this will be the 2nd time I've changed course.

My two biggest passions I'm life have always been Technology and Music. When I left school back in 2009 I had achieved 5 higher As in computing, Music, English, maths, History, a B in physics and an Advanced Higher B In computing. Since I had good grades and did well in computing at school, I chose to study Computer and Electronic Systems at University of Strathclyde, which was a joint degree studying both computer science and electronic engineering.

I immediately found that the Electronic Engineering side of the course was a way out of my league so I changed to studying just Computer Science. I passed first year and after summer I got a job with Carphone Warehouse, a job I began to really excel at and enjoy.

When I entered 2nd year of the course I felt that the work was getting very difficult as the programming side of the course was very dry and boring. I realised I really did not want to be a computer programmer in the future either. Also with it coming up to Christmas with Carphone Warehouse I was under tremendous amounts of pressure and stress juggling work and uni, so I realised for my own health that I could not continue doing both but as I loved my new job I decided had to drop out of the course.

I was put off of university because of the stress and decided to work full time at Carphone warehouse and ended up becoming consistently one of the top salesmen in the region and became really comfortable with the money I was making. I thought I would try to work towards management but before I knew it 3 years had passed and I wasn't really getting anywhere and decided I was ready to get back into education.

I decided if I was going to return to university I should do something I really love. As I have always been an avid music listener, songwriter and guitar player I thought that a career in music would be a good choice for me as it's something I have a real passion for and I have always dreamed of being in a band, making music and touring.

I found a course online called Commercial Music at University of the West of Scotland which focused on performance, production and promotion of Music, and I felt that it was worth my time studying something I enjoy and I could always go back to Working towards management at Carphone warehouse later if I wanted.

They accepted me into 2nd year of this course in September and I passed the first semester. I am now more than halfway into the 2nd semester and although I enjoy what I am learning, I have a nagging feeling that a career In the music industry really is very unrealistic and difficult to make a good career in, especially if I live In Scotland. Musicians make little to no money and have no job security and sound production is a very difficult job market to get into as well. The course is quite unorganised and I feel that a lot of the work is too easy and not enough of a challenge.

My girlfriend has applied to a course called Digital Media and Interactive Design at Dundee university. She keeps telling me how it would be the perfect course for me and although I would not like to move to Dundee, I did some research and I found there is a similar course at the university of Glasgow called Digital Media and Information Studies. This course "explores the creation, use and impact of digital content and information technology in the arts, humanities and society" which looks like it would be really a interesting degree and have much better job prospects for the future.

However I am worried about changing course for the 2nd time and that this may have a negative affect on my application. I may be too late to apply for 2014 entry although I have emailed them to ask. And even if I do get in I'll be 23 when I start and won't finish until I'm 27! Plus I already have been given funding for 2 years from SAAS so would have to pay my fees to start a new course.

I think I know what I have to do but I really have have a big decision to make and I need some advice from anyone to help me decide.

Big thanks if you've read all of this!

Rich

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending