The Student Room Group

References for Postgrad

I am applying for numerous postgrad courses across England, but my two referee's have added a University to their letter - I want to apply to more than one university, and for the sake of bothering them both again for another clean reference what do I do? Just send them the references?

For example 1 referee added 'Sheffield Uni' to his reference, and I want to apply to Newcaslte, I can't change the content of his reference so do I just send it or black it out?
Reply 1
You should explain the situation and ask them to write each letter with the right university's name. I don't think you would bother them, they just have to change a few words.
I did it too!:biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by D00
I am applying for numerous postgrad courses across England, but my two referee's have added a University to their letter - I want to apply to more than one university, and for the sake of bothering them both again for another clean reference what do I do? Just send them the references?

For example 1 referee added 'Sheffield Uni' to his reference, and I want to apply to Newcaslte, I can't change the content of his reference so do I just send it or black it out?

Neither.

At postgraduate level, your target universities will expect to receive tailored references which recommend you for their specific course. Your referees will be expecting to do this as well. You need to contact your referees and ask them to write new references for Newcastle and warn them about how many other requests they're likey to receive - some unis will want to contact them direct and not go via you, and getting an unexpected reference request isn't going to put them in a positive frame of mind.

This is one problem with postgrad applications. In theory, you can apply for as many courses as you want. In reality, you will be limited by the number of references your referees will be prepared to write.

Plus bear in mind that not every university will have the same application submission process. Some will accept references in writing which come via the applicant. Some insist on getting references direct from the referees, with no applicant involvement. My Masters application just asked for my referees' email addresses and the uni contacted them direct to ask for the reference.

Unfortunately, there's no "one size fits all" for postgrad references.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending