A new flag for the UK, should Scotland leave Watch

Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Union flag looks better than any of the national flags and i'm inclined to say that we should keep it, Scottish independent or not. Truth be told i don't care about the symbolism of union that it represents, it's part of a brand that will still remain even if a subsidiary removes itself.
Gondur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by coeus91)
Terrible to look at, in your opinion. Im actually a big fan of the union flag. I think it stands out, more interesting to look at than three lines of colour.
Flags don't just change because someone thinks they're ugly. They are based upon years if history. It repents union. Not ownership.
There are many other flags based on the union flag. Should they be changed also? Also on your design, there's nothing representing northern ireland. Ireland yes but that's not in the uk anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see the Union flag as a sexual allegory for London. It's been abused by so many sources, during the war, tourism etc. It looks unyieldingly sexual and too 'modern', quite jazzy and rather mocks the UK visually, than represent it with dignity. But you're right, I didn't know about the different kinds of shields and crests the UK had and how they've changed to represent new Kings and Queens.

Well I derived my flags by looking at the current UK coat of arms, which also has the harp, which I thought represented Northern Island because the Republic of Ireland obviously isn't a part of the UK. Maybe a flower or something, maybe a vegetable like a leak could represent Northern Ireland.
dreadpiraterach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I like our flag and I think we should keep it. Australia and New Zealand both have Union Flags as part of their own national flags, even though these countries aren't in the United Kingdom, so if Scotland did become independent keeping the Scottish aspect of our flag wouldn't be a massive deal.

Also, anyone else think the word "flag" is one of those words that sounds really weird once it's been said so many times?
coeus91
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gondur)
I see the Union flag as a sexual allegory for London. It's been abused by so many sources, during the war, tourism etc. It looks unyieldingly sexual and too 'modern', quite jazzy and rather mocks the UK visually, than represent it with dignity. But you're right, I didn't know about the different kinds of shields and crests the UK had and how they've changed to represent new Kings and Queens.

Well I derived my flags by looking at the current UK coat of arms, which also has the harp, which I thought represented Northern Island because the Republic of Ireland obviously isn't a part of the UK. Maybe a flower or something, maybe a vegetable like a leak could represent Northern Ireland.
Or the red hand of ulster which is the main feature of a norn irish flag....

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by dreadpiraterach)

Also, anyone else think the word "flag" is one of those words that sounds really weird once it's been said so many times?
Yes! Try mixing it up a bit and saying it in a belfast acccent, pronounced like 'fleg' with the elongated ehh sound in the middle, so fleeeg. Its a geg! This is how I get my humour kicks at 2am! Think its time for bed...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gondur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by coeus91)
Or the red hand of ulster which is the main feature of a norn irish flag....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! Try mixing it up a bit and saying it in a belfast acccent, pronounced like 'fleg' with the elongated ehh sound in the middle, so fleeeg. Its a geg! This is how I get my humour kicks at 2am! Think its time for bed...

Posted from TSR Mobile
But the Red Hand of Ulster doesn't synergise with the other flag components.

Here is a simplified version of the flag.
Name:  dsdsdsds.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  162.2 KB

The outline of the flag is very easy to draw. Given that there are flags like the USA flag, with stars and flags have other embellishments which are difficult to draw, I think this looks pretty good. It still represents the 3 countries within the UK. I'm still thinking what could represent Northern Ireland. It is possible to simplify this further. You could simply have a shield split into four quadrants, filled with solid blue and red but maybe that's a little too simple...
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I say just replace the dark blue with black. You can say it represents Wales as it's the background colour of St David's cross.
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The union flag is not actually official, right? I thought I read that somewhere.
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)
The union flag is not actually official, right? I thought I read that somewhere.
Depends how you define "official". Maybe there is no act of parliament that explicitly says it is the official flag of the UK, but clearly it's used in many official contexts.
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Depends how you define "official". Maybe there is no act of parliament that explicitly says it is the official flag of the UK, but clearly it's used in many official contexts.
Obviously. But since it's never official, why does it matter if the rest of Britain is to continuously use it?
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)
Obviously. But since it's never official, why does it matter if the rest of Britain is to continuously use it?
Not sure what you mean. If the government started using a new flag for formal purposes (e.g. In the UN), then of course people are free to use a different flag for their own purposes. But that's true regardless of whether its official or not. It's not like there's a law against using flags (well, perhaps in some cases there are, but not generally).
wombledon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe the UK should adopt the Australian style corner flag defaced with the royal coat of arms whilst we decide on a new flag.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Scotland will not leave I dont think
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
29.98%

Watched Threads