Ireland should absorb Northern Ireland and England should absorb Scotland?

Watch
Gondur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The landmass of the UK is divided very strangely. I don't know enough politics to start an in depth debate but looking at a map, it seems right for Southern Ireland to Absorb Northern Island, which will make the Irish landmass one whole unit. Then Scotland and Wales should lose their name and be absorbed by England, which will make the England landmass one whole unit, stretching vertically from Land's End to Jon o'groats, from one end of the landmass to the other. There will be no such thing as geopolitical boundaries. The English government will absorb the Scottish and Welsh government and give Northern Ireland to Southern Ireland. At the end of this, there will be two countries, England and Ireland. The names Wales and Scotland will cease to exist and fall into history.

In terms of culture, it also makes sense. Northern Ireland is more like southern Ireland than ever England, Scotland or Wales. Scotland is more like England than Ireland. And Wales is just a linchpin people forget, kind of like an annoying itch you can't quite scratch. I also want to give Shetland and Orkney islands to Norway. We've been holding them hostage for too long now and now that we've got Wales and Scotland, we deserve to give something back. Those islands aretoo far away from London, the seat of power for 'Liberated England'. It will also make the transition from England to Scandinavia more gradual and genuinely interesting. I've heard a lot of people on those islands are more Norwegian, both genetically and culturally than Scottish.

What will be the consequences of this dissolution? I don't know because I don't sufficient politics to make assumptions but maybe you do and you might see this as a crazy idea in whatever political terms.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah... Good luck with that
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Has the past three hundred years of British history passed OP by?
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why would you need to make Scotland and Wales part of England? Taken collectively they already have a perfectly decent name, Great Britain. They're already united politically (for now at least).

Plenty of people agree with you about Northern Ireland becoming part of the republic of Ireland. The problem is there's also many people who are very strongly opposed to the idea.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Plenty of people agree with you about Northern Ireland becoming part of the republic of Ireland. The problem is there's also many people who are very strongly opposed to the idea.
Including many in Northern Ireland!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gondur)
The landmass of the UK is divided very strangely. I don't know enough politics to start an in depth debate but looking at a map, it seems right for Southern Ireland to Absorb Northern Island, which will make the Irish landmass one whole unit. Then Scotland and Wales should lose their name and be absorbed by England, which will make the England landmass one whole unit, stretching vertically from Land's End to Jon o'groats, from one end of the landmass to the other. There will be no such thing as geopolitical boundaries. The English government will absorb the Scottish and Welsh government and give Northern Ireland to Southern Ireland. At the end of this, there will be two countries, England and Ireland. The names Wales and Scotland will cease to exist and fall into history.

In terms of culture, it also makes sense. Northern Ireland is more like southern Ireland than ever England, Scotland or Wales. Scotland is more like England than Ireland. And Wales is just a linchpin people forget, kind of like an annoying itch you can't quite scratch. I also want to give Shetland and Orkney islands to Norway. We've been holding them hostage for too long now and now that we've got Wales and Scotland, we deserve to give something back. Those islands aretoo far away from London, the seat of power for 'Liberated England'. It will also make the transition from England to Scandinavia more gradual and genuinely interesting. I've heard a lot of people on those islands are more Norwegian, both genetically and culturally than Scottish.

What will be the consequences of this dissolution? I don't know because I don't sufficient politics to make assumptions but maybe you do and you might see this as a crazy idea in whatever political terms.
As much as i dislike Northern Ireland and Wales i'd much rather have the ROI rejoin the UK and be one British Isles again. As for the notion of giving islands back to Norway, certainly not! Why on earth would we do that given potential oil reserves and the fact that they increase our territory.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't see how England absorbing Scotland will benefit anyone. We're already part of the same country.

Also Northern Ireland loses out the subsidies being in the UK can provide it to help development and fixing troubles and sectarian related damages along with the larger police resources it needs.
WeeGuy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
As much as i dislike Northern Ireland and Wales i'd much rather have the ROI rejoin the UK and be one British Isles again.

why do you dislike Northern Island and Wales?
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Northern Ireland in some respects has more in common with Scotland than it does with Ireland. Scotland and England are actually pretty distinct, as are the Welsh.

Your ideas are absolute lunacy, and regardless of your opinion they will never be implemented. Good day Troll.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WeeGuy)
why do you dislike Northern Island and Wales?
I'm sure the people in them are nice but their nothing but trouble. In NI we have a civil war and very slow progress towards a unified state. In Wales we a country that is economically a drain and politically daft, since devolution occurred they've actually dropped back compared to England in things like health and education yet continue to elect Welsh Labour.
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gladders)
Including many in Northern Ireland!
Mainly in Northern Ireland I expect. I don't suppose that many people in GB have particularly strong feelings about it.
fabstrawberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thank god you're not in charge
how about we just forget england and wales and just call it all Scotland? wouldn't like that, would you?
lmao just stop
silverbolt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Why would you need to make Scotland and Wales part of England? Taken collectively they already have a perfectly decent name, Great Britain. They're already united politically (for now at least).

Like the majority of people in the ROI, we dont want the damn thing back. You can keep it

Forcing NI to become part of the Republic would cause a complete and total meltdown politically socially and economically. Plus i doubt the UK is that ready to give up the belfast shipping yards

(Original post by Rakas21)
As much as i dislike Northern Ireland and Wales i'd much rather have the ROI rejoin the UK and be one British Isles again. As for the notion of giving islands back to Norway, certainly not! Why on earth would we do that given potential oil reserves and the fact that they increase our territory.
We spent centuries trying to get to go away and leave, you really think we'd let you just roll in and take over again. EIRE is not part of the British Isles.
SuckMySausage
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So I'm guessing you are against democracy? By having devolved parliments, we empower more people in politics. And the simply the idea of creating a single country out because of its land mass would irraticate a culture ,ergo you are the rencarnation of Hitler.
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As much as I think there should be a united Ireland, it's realistically just not possible at the moment and likely won't be for a very, very long time.
Razzamoly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How about no.

/thread
Chillaxer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, the opposite will occur. I see a United Ireland and Scottish independence as dependent and balanced on one another. If NI, or Scotland first leaves the UK, so will the other.
Gjaykay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why not get rid of England completely and have Scottish rule? Haggis and Irn Bru for everyone!

:woo:
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chillaxer)
No, the opposite will occur. I see a United Ireland and Scottish independence as dependent and balanced on one another. If NI, or Scotland first leaves the UK, so will the other.
Except neither want to.
Chillaxer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Except neither want to.
I didn't say they did, although some of them do. I just believe that the two are strongly linked.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads