LSE MSc Accounting and Finance vs. MSc Finance employability and opportunities Watch

CharBill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've recently been accepted to the MSc Accounting and Finance programme at LSE.

After some reading around these forums, I've noticed that people think much more highly of the MSc Finance programme. I can see that the average GMAT is 30 points higher (690 -> 720) and the acceptance rate is lower (13% -> 4.5%).

Am I missing out in any significant way by studying in a different department (Accounting dept. vs. Finance dept.)? For example: networking opportunities/events; courses specific to the MSc Finance programme; prestige.

Have I damaged my employability by pursuing the MSc Accounting and Finance programme instead of trying to get in to the MSc Finance programme?
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I shouldn't worry, you will get a good job either way and you will quickly forget about wanting to "get to the very top" once you start working - that's for insane people who are usually lacking something else in their lives.
CharBill
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
I shouldn't worry, you will get a good job either way and you will quickly forget about wanting to "get to the very top" once you start working - that's for insane people who are usually lacking something else in their lives.
Thank you for the reply.

Could anyone with the knowledge say whether the MSc Finance courses are more practical than the MSc Accounting and Finance courses? Are they significantly more difficult? Let's assume I intend on choosing only Finance electives.
goldmansachs2014
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
MSc Finance is the premium programme at LSE. Here is why:

Check the professors in the Department of Finance: nearly everyone has a PhD from MIT/Columbia/Stanford/Harvard/Yale. Compare this with the Accounting department and you will see the difference.

Check the graduate destinations of the course. LSE MSc Finance FT has an average salary of 37,500 and the PT programme has an average salary of 74,000.

Courses on the programme are only open to Finance students. The courses on A+F are open to many different programmes at LSE.

The Associate Programme Director for the MSc Finance course was Director and Head of Finance Careers at LBS.

The electives on MSc Finance are case based, like the ones taught at LBS etc. Electives on A+F are theoretical.

I could go on, and on...
Kostopintos
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CharBill)
I've recently been accepted to the MSc Accounting and Finance programme at LSE.

After some reading around these forums, I've noticed that people think much more highly of the MSc Finance programme. I can see that the average GMAT is 30 points higher (690 -> 720) and the acceptance rate is lower (13% -> 4.5%).

Am I missing out in any significant way by studying in a different department (Accounting dept. vs. Finance dept.)? For example: networking opportunities/events; courses specific to the MSc Finance programme; prestige.

Have I damaged my employability by pursuing the MSc Accounting and Finance programme instead of trying to get in to the MSc Finance programme?
I am a current LSE MSc A&f Student. I believe that you will not loose much by doing A&F coz if you choose most courses in Finance it means that you are taught by Finance Department Staff. Additionally Accounting Department staff is great too. MOST OF THE LECTURES USE HARVARD CASE STUDIES AND FOR APPLIED CORPORATE FINANCE IT IS PURELY BASED ON THEM.

I think the only slight difference between the two programmes is the quality of students which I would say is marginal anyway.

In terms of employability I think there is no difference, it will purely depend on your profile (experience , grades etc).

In terms of networking opportunities MSc Finance and A&F have their own exclusive networking events but in general most events are open to the public.

I believe A&F offers the same course with slightly different name for cheaper!

Good luck!.
basicguyz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kostopintos)
I am a current LSE MSc A&f Student. I believe that you will not loose much by doing A&F coz if you choose most courses in Finance it means that you are taught by Finance Department Staff. Additionally Accounting Department staff is great too. MOST OF THE LECTURES USE HARVARD CASE STUDIES AND FOR APPLIED CORPORATE FINANCE IT IS PURELY BASED ON THEM.

I think the only slight difference between the two programmes is the quality of students which I would say is marginal anyway.

In terms of employability I think there is no difference, it will purely depend on your profile (experience , grades etc).

I believe A&F offers the same course with slightly different name for cheaper!

Good luck!.
Hi! I applied to MSc Accounting and Finance at LSE and waiting for the result. However, I found that the applicants are expected to have fundamental knowledge in both accounting and finance. Do you have any classmates who have engineering background without accounting or finance-related internship?
Kostopintos
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by basicguyz)
Hi! I applied to MSc Accounting and Finance at LSE and waiting for the result. However, I found that the applicants are expected to have fundamental knowledge in both accounting and finance. Do you have any classmates who have engineering background without accounting or finance-related internship?
Hi,

So far, I haven't met anyone with engineering background. However, there are a few people with Economics background, and in their conditional offer they simply needed to do some basic accounting courses either in LSE summer school or elsewhere. In terms of accounting you could do what I did, choose 1 unit course Financial Reporting in Capital Markets ( which is run from an analyst perspective, meaning no need to do the accounts only analyse them) and then you could do all finance courses or chose one outside A&F departments.

And there are some people with no internships at all as well.

Hope it helps,

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads