The Student Room Group

GP, can I stay registered where I am ?

Saw the GP today, long story short... I've been told I am not allowed to remain registered at the surgery while Im at university. That I am committing fraud for doing so and there will be an investigation :confused: . The GP informed me that he will be removing me from the register there and I should register elsewhere.
Is this correct? I was under the impression we could register any place
You can be registered at one place at a time, so if you register at a GP in your uni town then your home GP has to remove you from theirs. If that's what you mean...
You should register with the GP at your uni during term time, which enables them to have access to your records and thus makes it much easier and quicker for you to access health treatment in an emergency at uni (or just to see your GP for a routine appointment/ check up). You should then re-register at home during the holidays, then re-register with your uni GP at the start of the next term, etc.
I'm pretty sure that you are automatically removed from the register from your home GP when you re-register elsewhere... I might be wrong though, but I didn't have to 'unregister'...
Personally I think it's a really stupid system having to re-register all the time, it makes much more sense if your records were kept somewhere secure online for any GP/ doctor to access...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
No, what I meant was, could I keep my GP in my hometown rather than change it. Im home most weekends anyway. currently I have 4 weeks off, then 3 weeks back at uni, then I am off again. I would rather keep seeing the GP back home.
Im not worried about having to see a GP when at uni, I am rarely sick, I just need to pick up a prescription every couple of months for a long term health condition (sleep medication).
I haven't registered with a GP in my uni city, because the only reason I go to the doctors is to get more pills... I just time my visits home when I need pills (or get pills when I'm home, whichever comes first). It's not advised, because if you become ill it does become more complicated but if you're going to be home a lot any way you're probably not too far away so it may not make much difference.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Saw the GP today, long story short... I've been told I am not allowed to remain registered at the surgery while Im at university. That I am committing fraud for doing so and there will be an investigation :confused: . The GP informed me that he will be removing me from the register there and I should register elsewhere.
Is this correct? I was under the impression we could register any place

yes that is as if you move away for university you are officially resident in your university town therefore no longer in the catchment area for your GP. You can register as a temporary patient in your home practice each holiday though

Quick Reply

Latest