'Student accepted to all 8 Ivy-league schools'

Watch
Jamerson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://theweek.com/article/index/259...league-schools

What is the equivalent of this achievement for someone applying to UK universities?
pillacat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
isn't the equivalent to Ivy league Oxbridge? problem is that story couldn't translate to UK as you are only allowed to apply to either Oxford or Cambridge but not both
Mellomum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well this is probably similar to getting into say Cambridge, Imperial, Durham UCL and another top RG - plenty of people on this website have achieved that so it's not a fair comparison
roughly you would say Ivy League = Oxford & Cambridge and the very top Russell Group, however the top Ivies are much more selective; would you compare Bristol with Princeton? not really.
Also in the USA you can apply to an unlimited number of universities, and of course the total population and number of universities is correspondingly larger than the UK

most Americans are amazed to discover that you can only apply to Oxford OR Cambridge, (not both) and you can only apply to five universities in total including either Oxford or Cambridge
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
University of Oxford or Cambridge
University College London
Imperial College London
King's College London
Durham University
University of Edinburgh
University of St Andrews
University of Manchester
Tom_green_day
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)
University of Oxford or Cambridge
University College London
Imperial College London
King's College London
Durham University
University of Edinburgh
University of St Andrews
University of Manchester
Quite an achievement since you can only apply to 5.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tom_green_day)
Quite an achievement since you can only apply to 5.
#oops

Well in this case I don't think there is an equivalent. I cannot see how five British schools could be more prestigious than the entire Ivy League combined.

According to QS, it would be:
Oxford/Cambridge
UCL
Imperial
Edinburgh
King's
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)
#oops

Well in this case I don't think there is an equivalent. I cannot see how five British schools could be more prestigious than the entire Ivy League combined.

According to QS, it would be:
Oxford/Cambridge
UCL
Imperial
Edinburgh
King's
Tbh there aren't 8 anywhere near as good as the ivies.

I got into Warwick, Manchester, Imperial, Durham (Physics) and Cambridge (NatSci). I'd say that's fairly close to as good as it gets, at least for physics.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bear in mind that these are not the most selective or most prestigious universities in the US. The Ivy League is/was a sports conference of colleges in the North Eastern United States. Perhaps 4 of them, HYP (+ Columbia?) would feature on the '8 most selective' list, along with MIT, Stanford, Berkeley and possibly Caltech or Williams or Harvey Mudd.

This is an interesting curiosity, but you have to wonder how many people have previously applied to all 8 schools in specifically the Ivy League, which is necessary condition of being admitted to all 8.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alow)
Tbh there aren't 8 anywhere near as good as the ivies.

I got into Warwick, Manchester, Imperial, Durham (Physics) and Cambridge (NatSci). I'd say that's fairly close to as good as it gets, at least for physics.
Yup. Which is why I said I don't think there could be one.

Though some of the schools in the League are not really that good. The best eight American schools probably are:
Harvard
MIT
Stanford
Yale
Princeton
UPenn
Berkeley
Columbia
Theophile
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jamerson)
http://theweek.com/article/index/259...league-schools

What is the equivalent of this achievement for someone applying to UK universities?
the golden triangle
Gondur
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I were him then I'd choose Harvard without a doubt and he knows it.
samba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gondur)
If I were him then I'd choose Harvard without a doubt and he knows it.
I'd have chosen Caltech and it's not even on the list ;/
Gondur
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by samba)
I'd have chosen Caltech and it's not even on the list ;/
I'd have chosen MIT for the better research funding. Out of those offers, I'd go with Harvard simply because it's the oldest and most prestigious of them all.
samba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gondur)
I'd have chosen MIT for the better research funding. Out of those offers, I'd go with Harvard simply because it's the oldest and most prestigious of them all.
Do MIT do med? Didn't think they offered it tbh. Always assumed caltech was the absolute top for research based med.
Caedus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Personally I'd go for Harvard or Yale... probably Harvard.
ParetoOptimum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In terms of 'wow' factor (because comparing the UK and US application systems objectively is too hard - they're so different)... for me it'd be in terms of specific UK courses. Just getting into Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial etc isn't THAT amazing in itself.

So maybe - successful entry for mathematics at Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, (2 other top maths departments)
Or economics at Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham.

Still, I don't think anything compares in 'wow' factor to getting entry to all 8 Ivy leagues. It literally never occurs. Whereas the two examples I gave above happen regularly every year
L'Etudiant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Due to the differences in the way application to Universities work it would be hard to get a comparable result. Also, the US is bigger and has many, many more Oxbridge-esque Universities compared to England. The closest thing an english student could achieve, according to me is as follows:

1) Cambridge/ Oxford
2) London School of Economics
3) Imperial College
4) Warwick
5) S.t Andrews/ UCL/ King's College
ParetoOptimum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by L'Etudiant)
Due to the differences in the way application to Universities work it would be hard to get a comparable result. Also, the US is bigger and has many, many more Oxbridge-esque Universities compared to England. The closest thing an english student could achieve, according to me is as follows:

1) Cambridge/ Oxford
2) London School of Economics
3) Imperial College
4) Warwick
5) S.t Andrews/ UCL/ King's College
So basically maths at Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick and St.A/UCL/KCL, and maths with/and economics at LSE. That's the only undergrad degree choice that all of the aforementioned cover I believe (due to LSE being a social science uni and Imperial being a science uni)

Also, interested in why you put UCL below Warwick and alongside St.A/KCL. In pretty much all rankings, domestic and especially international, UCL trumps all of those. In terms of department rep, UCL is an all rounder, while St.A/KCL/Warwick all suffer from inconsistency
L'Etudiant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ParetoOptimum)
So basically maths at Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick and St.A/UCL/KCL, and maths with/and economics at LSE. That's the only undergrad degree choice that all of the aforementioned cover I believe (due to LSE being a social science uni and Imperial being a science uni)

Also, interested in why you put UCL below Warwick and alongside St.A/KCL. In pretty much all rankings, domestic and especially international, UCL trumps all of those. In terms of department rep, UCL is an all rounder, while St.A/KCL/Warwick all suffer from inconsistency
Yep, for Maths the list looks about right.

Well, this list I made was supposed to be the UK's equivalent of the boy with 8 Ivy League offers so none of the Universities on the list are bad, all of them are exceptional. I simply ranked it in the order that I would had I applied to all of those Universities
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ParetoOptimum)

You realise it's harder to get an offer from Oxford for maths than it is getting an offer from Cambridge?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (195)
38.92%
Take autumn exams (153)
30.54%
Look for a job (17)
3.39%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.19%
Take a year out (86)
17.17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (29)
5.79%

Watched Threads