TOEFL currently not accepted by Imperial? Watch

djaytg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey everyone! I got my official offer letter yesterday for Masters in Management programme and also got an email from ad-com saying that BBC have uncovered a SCAM where some foreign students pay people in UK to write their TOEFL exams for them. So, all TOEFL exams have been put a temporary ban by the UK home office.

They also said this

"At present it is not entirely clear whether it is only those taking tests in the UK who are affected or if it is worldwide. Whilst you have met Imperial College’s English requirement, our advice is that you take another English language test, should you require a Tier 4 Visa to come and study here."

Here is quote from ETS official site

"For individuals who are both applying for a visa and testing outside the UK there is no change. The Home Office has confirmed that TOEFL and TOEIC tests taken outside the U.K. may continue to be used when applying for a visa at an overseas office and the application will be reviewed by immigration officials as before."

Doesn't that mean anyone who took TOEFL exam outside UK(like me) are cleared to apply for visa with the same scores?
blabbadyblah
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by djaytg)
Hey everyone! I got my official offer letter yesterday for Masters in Management programme and also got an email from ad-com saying that BBC have uncovered a SCAM where some foreign students pay people in UK to write their TOEFL exams for them. So, all TOEFL exams have been put a temporary ban by the UK home office.

They also said this

"At present it is not entirely clear whether it is only those taking tests in the UK who are affected or if it is worldwide. Whilst you have met Imperial College’s English requirement, our advice is that you take another English language test, should you require a Tier 4 Visa to come and study here."

Here is quote from ETS official site

"For individuals who are both applying for a visa and testing outside the UK there is no change. The Home Office has confirmed that TOEFL and TOEIC tests taken outside the U.K. may continue to be used when applying for a visa at an overseas office and the application will be reviewed by immigration officials as before."

Doesn't that mean anyone who took TOEFL exam outside UK(like me) are cleared to apply for visa with the same scores?
That's what it says You've even highlighted it in bold. Contact the admissions office if you want to double-check!
CPon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey !
I just received the following mail from ETS :

We are writing concerning your upcoming appointment for the ®test. Educational Testing Service (ETS), the organization responsible for ®language testing (SELT) license with the Home Office. As a result, ®granting purposes.

Given you indicated you plan to work, study, or settle in the U.K., we wanted to alert you to this recent development. If you also plan to use your TOEFL test score for immigration purposes in the U.K., please understand they will not be accepted by the U.K. Home Office. You can contact ETS for a full refund of your registration fee.
You may still utilize TOEFL test scores for immigration purposes anywhere else in the world, but not the U.K. at this time.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. If you have any questions concerning this matter, please contact TOEFL Services at [email protected].

Sincerely,
The TOEFL Program

Does it means there have been changes since the beginning of the month ? I don't need a specific visa as I currently live in EU (France) but I need the university I have chosen as a prime choice (Uni of Glasgow) to accept my results ....
djaytg
Rep:
?
(Original post by CPon)
Hey !
I just received the following mail from ETS :

We are writing concerning your upcoming appointment for the ®test. Educational Testing Service (ETS), the organization responsible for ®language testing (SELT) license with the Home Office. As a result, ®granting purposes.

Given you indicated you plan to work, study, or settle in the U.K., we wanted to alert you to this recent development. If you also plan to use your TOEFL test score for immigration purposes in the U.K., please understand they will not be accepted by the U.K. Home Office. You can contact ETS for a full refund of your registration fee.
You may still utilize TOEFL test scores for immigration purposes anywhere else in the world, but not the U.K. at this time.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. If you have any questions concerning this matter, please contact TOEFL Services at [email protected].

Sincerely,
The TOEFL Program

Does it means there have been changes since the beginning of the month ? I don't need a specific visa as I currently live in EU (France) but I need the university I have chosen as a prime choice (Uni of Glasgow) to accept my results ....
Where do you plan to write your TOEFL test? In France or UK?
CPon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In France
djaytg
Rep:
?
(Original post by CPon)
In France
I beleive one has to take another English language test as the ETS have confirmend that their scores will not be accepted by the UK home office for Visa purpose.

Following the broadcast of a BBC Panorama program in February 2014 which highlighted an organized criminal element seeking to circumvent the U.K.’s visa-granting process, ETS has made the decision not to extend our Secure English-language Testing (SELT) license with the Home Office. As a result, TOEIC® and TOEFL iBT® testing will no longer be offered for U.K. visa-granting purposes.

As you don't need a Visa, you will have to ask your university and confirm whether they will accept TOEFL scores or not.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It said you would be fine.
CPon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok I'm gonna send an email to my uni and see ...
Many thanks, really !
raghavtangri
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
but in case we need visa- I wish to confirm, the TOEFL has been banned for overseas applicants also as per the latest updates??
djaytg
Rep:
?
(Original post by raghavtangri)
but in case we need visa- I wish to confirm, the TOEFL has been banned for overseas applicants also as per the latest updates??
YES, it has been banned for Visa purposes by UK Home office.
Shovana
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

The TOEFl scores are accepted now by Imperial correct?

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Jun '20
    Thu, 25 Jun '20
    Sat, 19 Sep '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (94)
49.47%
No (96)
50.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise