Soka12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What is the best way of revising for Philosophy? I messed up on my AS last year so am having to retake this year as well as do my A2. Stressing out about as to how I am going to remember it all, the revision cards and posters I did last year did not help what-so-ever. Any other opinions? I would be most grateful for any suggestions!
noxxc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
is it the philosophy paper RSS03? I did it last year with the ethics paper RSS01. I got an A in philosophy and a D in ethics. for philosophy we were meant to learn the three topics:
religious experience
the cosmological argument
atheism and postmodernism

but I only really looked at religious experience and the cosmological argument. in all honesty, although I wouldn't exactly suggest it, I'd just learn two off by heart. I knew the basics of atheism and postmodernism but I knew I would never be brave enough to swap questions when sitting the exam. this probably helped me though because I knew those quite well. one thing I didn't do last year that really makes me wonder how I got an A was looking at the specification. for A2 this year I realised how OBVIOUS it is!! it literally tells you the questions they can ask (obviously they just word it differently). all I did to revise last year for philosophy AS was write notes and notes but I was taking it in. every now and then just sit back from your revision and think if you actually understand it.

for A2 this year (obviously I don't know if it is going to work) but I've printed off the specification and put it on my wardrobe. I have been learning the key points on the spec, then finding a past paper to fit that question. I have then typed up perfect answers using the book and got them marked by my teacher. once I know it, I tick it off the spec. once all the spec has been typed up to perfect answers I am going to learn what content to apply to each question. as far as I can tell its almost like a mix and match by getting a question, then figuring out what parts of the book they are asking for. I really have no clue how it'll work but I think it gives me a bit of structure at least!

(sorry for this massive reply)
Soka12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by noxxc)
is it the philosophy paper RSS03? I did it last year with the ethics paper RSS01. I got an A in philosophy and a D in ethics. for philosophy we were meant to learn the three topics:
religious experience
the cosmological argument
atheism and postmodernism

but I only really looked at religious experience and the cosmological argument. in all honesty, although I wouldn't exactly suggest it, I'd just learn two off by heart. I knew the basics of atheism and postmodernism but I knew I would never be brave enough to swap questions when sitting the exam. this probably helped me though because I knew those quite well. one thing I didn't do last year that really makes me wonder how I got an A was looking at the specification. for A2 this year I realised how OBVIOUS it is!! it literally tells you the questions they can ask (obviously they just word it differently). all I did to revise last year for philosophy AS was write notes and notes but I was taking it in. every now and then just sit back from your revision and think if you actually understand it.

for A2 this year (obviously I don't know if it is going to work) but I've printed off the specification and put it on my wardrobe. I have been learning the key points on the spec, then finding a past paper to fit that question. I have then typed up perfect answers using the book and got them marked by my teacher. once I know it, I tick it off the spec. once all the spec has been typed up to perfect answers I am going to learn what content to apply to each question. as far as I can tell its almost like a mix and match by getting a question, then figuring out what parts of the book they are asking for. I really have no clue how it'll work but I think it gives me a bit of structure at least!

(sorry for this massive reply)
Thank you for the reply! Yes it is the same paper as you! I got a D in Philosophy last year and an A in ethics :/ Thank for for the suggestion I will definitely have to give it a try, anything is worth a shot! I think I over revised last year and burnt myself out. I think the specification is definitely going to have to be key for this year! Never thought of looking at it but now I have I just want to facepalm! You're right it literally makes revising so much easier!
noxxc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
an A in ethics!!!! please tell me how you revised ethics because I have to retake it in may and could really use as high a grade as possible! haha that's what I was like too when I figured out how obviously it says what you can be questioned on. hope it helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (183)
43.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (48)
11.46%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.88%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.24%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
10.02%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (24)
5.73%

Watched Threads