nathaniakyra
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Whenever I compare poems I never get a good grade, I have no clue of how to structure a poem correctly, how to analyse them both, I just need a lot of help with EVERYTHING about comparing two poems. Please help!
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nathaniakyra)
Whenever I compare poems I never get a good grade, I have no clue of how to structure a poem correctly, how to analyse them both, I just need a lot of help with EVERYTHING about comparing two poems. Please help!
it will be helpful if you can tell me what level are you on gcse or a level? if so then i can help you
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
(Original post by tgwktm)
it will be helpful if you can tell me what level are you on gcse or a level? if so then i can help you
I'm currently doing my GCSE'S
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm currently doing my GCSE'S
okay well when comparing a poem focus on these main areas:
  • language (whether this is individual words and investigating there meaning or whole sentences that show imagery through metaphors, similes etc.)
  • sentence types (complex or simple- this can be hard to see in poems sometimes though)
  • the effect on the reader that any techniques have- talk about emotions, opinions the reader may have as a result of the poem
  • if you can a little context about the poet or the background of the poem is good to include to an introduction of a comparison although it won't be expected if the poems are unseen

as for the structure of your answer, i suggest the following structure:
  • introduction, introduce the poems, the themes behind them and any context. make it obvious that you are comparing these by using words such as however, in comparison
  • main body consists of 4 paragraphs (or more depending on how much you are required to write). each paragraph analyses one aspect from one poem. the following paragraph should analyse a similar aspect in the second poem and this paragraph should start with a comparison connective such as in comparison or however to make it clear that you are now comparing the second poem to the first (remember comparing includes saying what is similar and what is different). at the end of the second paragraph do a few sentences summarizing any similarities or differences.
  • do the same for any other aspects of the poems
  • conclusion, summarise all comparisons- don't introduce any new things

hope this helps
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
(Original post by tgwktm)
okay well when comparing a poem focus on these main areas:
  • language (whether this is individual words and investigating there meaning or whole sentences that show imagery through metaphors, similes etc.)
  • sentence types (complex or simple- this can be hard to see in poems sometimes though)
  • the effect on the reader that any techniques have- talk about emotions, opinions the reader may have as a result of the poem
  • if you can a little context about the poet or the background of the poem is good to include to an introduction of a comparison although it won't be expected if the poems are unseen

as for the structure of your answer, i suggest the following structure:
  • introduction, introduce the poems, the themes behind them and any context. make it obvious that you are comparing these by using words such as however, in comparison
  • main body consists of 4 paragraphs (or more depending on how much you are required to write). each paragraph analyses one aspect from one poem. the following paragraph should analyse a similar aspect in the second poem and this paragraph should start with a comparison connective such as in comparison or however to make it clear that you are now comparing the second poem to the first (remember comparing includes saying what is similar and what is different). at the end of the second paragraph do a few sentences summarizing any similarities or differences.
  • do the same for any other aspects of the poems
  • conclusion, summarise all comparisons- don't introduce any new things

hope this helps
Thank you so much, it helped a lot. Would it be alright if I could pm you in the future if I have any more questions about this topic?
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you so much, it helped a lot. Would it be alright if I could pm you in the future if I have any more questions about this topic?
yeah that will be fine, glad i could help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads