2014 Bahrain Grand Prix Discussion - 4th - 6th April

Watch this thread
mikejohnno
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've been away since Sunday, so please excuse the late thread. This was quite rushed and will be fully edited later. Thanks.

A race planted in the Persian Gulf, toiled in controversy and bathed in heat. It can only be the Bahrain Grand Prix.
Bahrain was first held in 2004 and became the first ever Grand Prix to be held in the Middle East; now in it’s tenth year holding the Grand Prix, the organisers have decided to join Singapore and turn the Bahrain Grand Prix into a night race.

Bahrain has been shrouded in controversy through out the years. In 2011, during the Arab Spring, the race was originally planned to be held before Australia, but violent riots meant that the race was too dangerous to hold, and risked the security of those involved. Both 2012 and 2013 also saw protests continuing the the Gulf state; in 2012 members of Force India left Bahrain with concern of their safety after they travelled from the track to the hotel and was caught in an incident between protesters and police.

However, 2014 saw two of the tree pre-season tests happen at the Sakhir circuit. Testing saw the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes, Force India, McLaren and Williams do consistently well over the 8 days the teams tested there. It was also announced that the first turn of the circuit would be named after Michael Schumacher, the seven time World Champion, who is firmly in our thoughts as we head through the season.
The layout of the track has been described as ‘very stop/start’ by various mechanics and drivers because of the long straights ending with hard breaking. One of its most infamous corners is turn 9, where you will be certain to find even the most experienced of drivers locking up into the difficult left hander; the corner rises up before you turn, creating a blind apex, meaning the driver has to judge his braking zone. This can make a large difference in lap times.

The long straights are favourable for cars with minimal down force and good straight line speeds. Speed trap data from Malaysia and Australia (both situated at the end of straights) shows that teams with Mercedes power are consistently giving fast speed trap times through out sessions during race weekends, suggesting that these teams will benefit from the long multiple straights in Bahrain.

Force India have had success at this track in the past few years. 2012 and 2013 saw ex-formula one driver Paul Di Resta, take some of his best F1 finishes at the Sakhir circuit. 2013 nearly saw him clench his first F1 podium as he ran in the top 3 for the majority of the race, however he was overtaken by Romain Grosjean at the end of the race seeing Di Resta finish 4th, his best finish in 2013.

Last year Bahrain provided us with an exciting weekend, it’s argued that we saw the first of the tyre problems that ended in Pirelli changing their tyres by the Hungarian Grand Prix, the delamination of Hamilton’s left-rear tyre during FP3 caused his Mercedes to suffer broken suspension, and subsequently have to change his gearbox, leading to a grid penalty. We also saw Sergio Perez attempt to pass his then team mate, Jenson Button, which caused him to come into contact, causing frustration for the British driver over the radio throughout the multiple lap debarcle.

Friday 04 April
12:00 – 13:30 Practice 1
16:00 – 17:30 Practice 2

Saturday 05 April
13:00 – 14:00 Practice 3
16:00 Qualifying

Sunday 06 April
16:00 Race

Lib
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Yay for practice sessions that're on when I'm at work so I can get paid for watching them again.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
In on thread.

(Original post by Lib)
Yay for practice sessions that're on when I'm at work so I can get paid for watching them again.
Very nice. I'll stream them into the lab.

Posted from TSR Mobile
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Live on the BBC again!

Should get back from work to watch FP1, and will have woken up in time to watch the race too. Shame they aren't all timed so well
Motorbiker
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dhr90)
Live on the BBC again!

Should get back from work to watch FP1, and will have woken up in time to watch the race too. Shame they aren't all timed so well
Nice. I get a much better stream from BBC than sky for some reason. Prefer the Sky commentary team but not enough to watch an inferior quality stream.
dhr90
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Motorbiker)
Nice. I get a much better stream from BBC than sky for some reason. Prefer the Sky commentary team but not enough to watch an inferior quality stream.
I found the opposite to be true. I streamed Sky to my phone for Australia and it was perfect. BBC however couldn't last 5 seconds without stopping to buffer the Malaysian qualifying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pads
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dhr90)
Live on the BBC again!

if by "live on BBC" you mean highlights on tv at 9 on saturday and 10pm on sunday you are correct. Unfortunately the BBC are idiots and this is one of the ones they've given up so only live on radio and online(text only?).

Think I may use my free Sky Sports (now tv) 24 hour pass. Annoyed its not 48 hour or even 27 hour so I could of got qualifying in legally too.
Motorbiker
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dhr90)
I found the opposite to be true. I streamed Sky to my phone for Australia and it was perfect. BBC however couldn't last 5 seconds without stopping to buffer the Malaysian qualifying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I use Sky Go and find on reasonable quality it's laggy and bufery and on crap quality it's blurry as hell.

(Original post by Pads)
if by "live on BBC" you mean highlights on tv at 9 on saturday and 10pm on sunday you are correct. Unfortunately the BBC are idiots and this is one of the ones they've given up so only live on radio and online(text only?).

Think I may use my free Sky Sports (now tv) 24 hour pass. Annoyed its not 48 hour or even 27 hour so I could of got qualifying in legally too.
Darn you dhr90 and me for not checking.

Nvm, Lucky to have access to a sky go account so it's not too bad.

Tbh it seems a good choice for BBC considering Bahrain races are renowned for being dull.
Pads
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Darn you dhr90 and me for not checking.

Nvm, Lucky to have access to a sky go account so it's not too bad.

Tbh it seems a good choice for BBC considering Bahrain races are renowned for being dull.
Sorry to be suprising you with things so much this week :P

hopefully this year breaks that pattern.
dhr90
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pads)

Oh FFS! The article I based that on (from bbc) made it read like it was live, listed all session times and then the next live races below it.

Not sure I can e bothered avoiding the internet all afternoon and evening just for highlights of that snoozefest track.

Posted from TSR Mobile
F1's Finest
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
As a night race should be interesting!

Especially as it's not on a street circuit, so it will be interesting as it's a wide track :woo:

ah **** sherlock, I just remembered Abu Dhabi as the other wide track for a night race!

Still it should be interesting :teehee:
dhr90
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by James A)
As a night race should be interesting!

Especially as it's not on a street circuit, so it will be interesting as it's a wide track :woo:

ah **** sherlock, I just remembered Abu Dhabi as the other wide track for a night race!

Still it should be interesting :teehee:
But the lights make it brighter than some other races in daylight. So it is still Bahrain, just with lights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Silver Arrows
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It'll still be interesting, and I won't have to avoid the internet all day :woo:
dhr90
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Anyone know if the reports about Sutil planning on racing without a drink this weekend to save weight are true? Or just a late April Fools?

If it is true then someone is going to get hurt trying to lose weight this much IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mikejohnno
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
The race preview has now been fully updated. Thanks again everyone. This weekend should be good
Relaxedexams
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I might not be able to see this race

The time is clashing with the cricket t20 worldcup finals and Sri Lanka are in the finals...got to do a lot of juggling...won't be fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Motorbiker
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dhr90)
Anyone know if the reports about Sutil planning on racing without a drink this weekend to save weight are true? Or just a late April Fools?

If it is true then someone is going to get hurt trying to lose weight this much IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dunno but this is getting dangerous for the drivers now.

Boxers etc cut weight to weigh in but they rehydrate before their fight.

WE have drivers dehydrating themselves for the entire qualifying session to be lighter atm apparently.
thomasp
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Quite an interesting article from the Former F1 race doctor, Gary Hartstein, on drivers potentially making themselves ill before a race: http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/201...t-head-injury/
Lib
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Have heard it said that the cars are much less physically demanding to drive this year, so that will mean that the drivers can 'get away with' it a bit more... I guess it's probably somewhat cooler with it being a night race too, although a desert is a desert... (and not a dessert as I originally typed!)
Lib
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Meeting when FP2 is on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.91%
The paper was reasonable (67)
39.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
15.98%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.47%

Watched Threads