The Student Room Group

Calling someone/Being called 'Hot' or 'Pretty'/'Beautiful' ...

So something happened today, and it got me thinking...

Guys, is there a difference in your thoughts when you call a girl 'Hot' compared to if you were to call a girl 'Pretty' or Beautiful'?

Like would you excpect to give off a different message depending on what word you use?
Why?

Or is it something I'm looking too deep into?

And girls, do feel different, or have different reactions/views to if a guy was to call you 'Hot' compared to 'Pretty' or 'Beautiful'?

Would you interpret it in a different way?
Why?

Not so sure if this is worded properly, but hope you guys understand.

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't like being called sexy or hot. In fact I don't like any complement apart from 'you look nice', as to me it is neutral and implies you just look nice. Cute means I look like a mouse, which I am trying to get away from as I have a baby face. Hot or sexy means you wanna sex me, which is a bit meh for me unless I want to have sex with you back at that specific moment which is unlikely. To me anyway.

Also, beautiful is a bit cringe but if it was said to me id believe it lol, as no one says that unless they mean it right?? I always reply 'thank you, you too' to most compliments which is fun.

Oh dear I have just exposed one of my many neuroses :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
'Hot': she's fit, would bang

'Beautiful': has more innocence to it, perhaps a serious relationship.
Whether it's good or not depends on how you want people to see you, I think some people who are hot (my friend and I were discussing Scarlett Johannsen and how people don't mention her personality, just the fact that she's hot) end up being pigeonholed as just being someone for people to shag and leave, and there's certain kinds of pretty where people just want you as an ornament rather than a partner.

As it is, I'm never called hot.
Reply 4
'Hot' is more sexual and will probably have the opposite effect to the one that's desired.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

Nail on head right here.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

Original post by elpistolero7
Nail on head right here.

Is it really that specific?
Original post by lilangel217
Is it really that specific?

Well its not a hard and fast rule or anything, but generally speaking yeah (well IMO).

I've noticed other people using the terms more interchangeably, though.
Reply 8
Calling someone hot/sexy may suggest sexual connotations (but not always), whereas calling someone pretty/beautiful is kinda being fascinated with their looks in a more innocent way.
But, e.g., a 25 y/o man calling a little 12 y/o girl 'pretty' is fine... whether him referring to her as sexy/hot will make him look like a paedo..

Also, I find that when ppl refer to someone as hot/sexy they focus on their body usually.
Pretty/cute usually describes face
and Beautiful/attractive - overall impression of fascination/charm
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
The words "hot" or "fit" are largely used to describe sexual attractiveness. 'Pretty' is non-sexual but rather playful and then 'beautiful' is non-sexual and rather more serious.
So something happened today, and it got me thinking...

Guys, is there a difference in your thoughts when you call a girl 'Hot' compared to if you were to call a girl 'Pretty' or Beautiful'?

Like would you excpect to give off a different message depending on what word you use?
Why?

Or is it something I'm looking too deep into?

And girls, do feel different, or have different reactions/views to if a guy was to call you 'Hot' compared to 'Pretty' or 'Beautiful'?

Would you interpret it in a different way?
Why?

Not so sure if this is worded properly, but hope you guys understand.

:smile:

Reaction to 'hot': "Wow, really? :lol:" (I get called cute more often)

I'm not generally flattered when I get called hot, I have no idea why, maybe its to do with the fact that hot simply means high temperature :rolleyes:

Reaction to 'pretty': "Awh, thank you! :h:"

Always flattered when I get called pretty though :yep:

I think hot's more to do with like physical (maybe sexual) attraction, whereas beautiful is more to do with, i don't know, its hard to explain: like appreciating someone's facial aesthetics, but without being physical attracted to them. But, yeah, what Plantagenet said! :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Pretty = nice face
Hot = nice body

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bridget Jones
Reaction to 'hot': "Wow, really? :lol:" (I get called cute more often)

I'm not generally flattered when I get called hot, I have no idea why, maybe its to do with the fact that hot simply means high temperature :rolleyes:

Reaction to 'pretty': "Awh, thank you! :h:"

Always flattered when I get called pretty though :yep:

I think hot's more to do with like physical (maybe sexual) attraction, whereas beautiful is more to do with, i don't know, its hard to explain: like appreciating someone's facial aesthetics, but without being physical attracted to them. But, yeah, what Plantagenet said! :tongue:

Yeah, I get you.
Just wondering what guys have in mind when thy say these things.
So hard to understand haha

Original post by The_Blade
Pretty = nice face
Hot = nice body

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you say one is more 'sexual' than the other?
Yeah, I get you.
Just wondering what guys have in mind when thy say these things.
So hard to understand haha

Would you say one is more 'sexual' than the other?

:woo:

was starting to wonder if it made sense!

I genuinely think guys mean:

hot = would bang :lol:
beautiful = would wife :wink: (but then this cant apply to family members ofc)
:woo:

was starting to wonder if it made sense!

I genuinely think guys mean:

hot = would bang :lol:
beautiful = would wife :wink: (but then this cant apply to family members ofc)

Oh, it did make sense!

Aah, I see.

These guys ... :redface:
Oh, it did make sense!

Aah, I see.

These guys ... :redface:

Great! :tongue:

Haha, been called hot recently? :lol:
Great! :tongue:

Haha, been called hot recently? :lol:

HAHAHA...

Me?? Hot?? :rofl:

Well, maybe :mmm:
HAHAHA...

Me?? Hot?? :rofl:

Well, maybe :mmm:

:rolleyes:

Shutuupp, you're pretty though! :wink:

Hahah, niiicee :tongue:
Id rather be called beautiful or pretty tbh, being called hot is kind of...I don't know cheap to me. It's just my opinion...
:rolleyes:

Shutuupp, you're pretty though! :wink:

Hahah, niiicee :tongue:

Oh, erm, thanks.
I guess? :colondollar:

You're goreous yourself though :biggrin:

Original post by chocolatesauce
Id rather be called beautiful or pretty tbh, being called hot is kind of...I don't know cheap to me. It's just my opinion...

Yeah, I feel the same, but don't know if it was me or each word really does connotate different things.

Latest