The Student Room Group

TSR Bollywood Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asif007
Of course Aamir Khan needs no mention, haha. His current films might be 2 years apart but they're always worth the wait. Dangal was amazing and I'm excited for Thugs Of Hindostan. :biggrin:

Oh I see - I don't remember that ending but from what I can recall, the rest of the film was good. Sounds like a nice way to wrap up the story. I remember enjoying the film and seeing Nawazuddin Siddiqui pop up in it. :smile:

Same, I'm debating what to watch tonight as well, haha. I watch a lot of the new films but also try and keep up with 80's and 90's films. Weekends are the only time I can manage to fit in a longer Hindi film, so I have to use the time wisely and choose a good film that I know I'm gonna enjoy, lol. Tonight my choices are Raees or Raman Raghav 2.0 (recent films), Khalnayak, Bandhan or an Anil Kapoor film (older films).

Let us know what you end up watching and tell us your thoughts! Hope you enjoy :smile:

I hadn't actually seen Dangal so I watched that. I liked it and it was a good movie but I guess with Amir Khan's past films, you always expect/hope for a great film?

I did think there some common themes with Chak De India (treatment of girls and sports theme). I think I preferred Chak De India but I suppose when you have a fictional story you have more scope to make it dramatic whereas Dangal is based (with some embellishment) on a true story so you are somewhat constrained.

It was a good watch so I wouldn't tell anyone not to watch but it wouldn't be at the top of my recommendations. Even so, you have to say Amir Khan continues to help make Indian cinema improve with quality films. Will have to watch his next film once it's out!
Original post by asif007
:smile:

Went for a classic tonight and watched Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar.

Impressive that it stands the test of time pretty well. Watched an interview with the cast 24 years later afterwards which was pretty interesting too.

Crazy that Mamik Singh struggled to get roles in films after that performance in his first film. I thought he played it really well.

What a song :love:

EDIT: Monday night but thought best to avoid triple posting..

Watched Queen which I actually really enjoyed. Worth a watch if you've not seen it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night (lol). Haven't shared my thoughts about the films as much as I used to. So here's a few short reviews of the Bollywood films I watched at home over the last 6 months. :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by asif007
I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night (lol). Haven't shared my thoughts about the films as much as I used to. So here's a few short reviews of the Bollywood films I watched at home over the last 6 months. :smile:

Spoiler

This is a really good review list! I thoroughly enjoyed Mohenjo Daro, I really like Hrithik Roshan! I want to watch Kaabil but I have heard that it is quite a deep film especially with the rape part. I watched 3 idiots yesterday and I must say it is an amazing film which is funny and at times emotional! Have you watched dear Zindagi yet then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zerforax
I hadn't actually seen Dangal so I watched that. I liked it and it was a good movie but I guess with Amir Khan's past films, you always expect/hope for a great film?

I did think there some common themes with Chak De India (treatment of girls and sports theme). I think I preferred Chak De India but I suppose when you have a fictional story you have more scope to make it dramatic whereas Dangal is based (with some embellishment) on a true story so you are somewhat constrained.

It was a good watch so I wouldn't tell anyone not to watch but it wouldn't be at the top of my recommendations. Even so, you have to say Amir Khan continues to help make Indian cinema improve with quality films. Will have to watch his next film once it's out!

Haha, I'm glad you got round to watching Dangal. It's a brilliant film that left a lasting impression with me, and as a fan of Bollywood as well as kabaddi/pehelwani, I'm pleased to see the top actors exploring sports films like this. It's impossible for me to decide between Sultan and Dangal as the better film because they're so different despite both being world-class Hindi films from the top actors.

I see where you're coming from about Dangal and Chak De India having similar themes of women's empowerment. It's fantastic to see progress being made through the films in India where women's safety is still a huge issue. I like the fact that more daring and riskier films about women are also seeing the light of day - Lipstick Under My Burkha was recently allowed to release by the censor board, so that's good news. However, I did prefer Dangal over Chak De India just because I'm more interested in watching wrestling than hockey, which I don't understand very much. CDI is a fantastic film nonetheless, but I didn't enjoy it as much as SRK's other films which had a bigger impact on me. Veer Zaara being one example - hands-down one of the best Bollywood films ever made. I watched it with my grandparents for the second time a few weeks back and even though they don't watch many Hindi films, I think this one resonated with them too. Mostly because of it being a cross-border love story exploring both countries with love and passion. I'm sure it brings back memories for them of living in India before Partition. It's such an amazing film, and I could not watch it enough times, haha. RIP Yash Chopra.

Speaking of which, RIP also to Vinod Khanna. It's tragic to hear what happened to him - a strong healthy man in the prime of his life to being struck down by cancer and deteriorating so quickly. I haven't seen a lot of his films, but I know how much status he held in Bollywood. He will be sorely missed. :frown:

Went for a classic tonight and watched Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar.

Impressive that it stands the test of time pretty well. Watched an interview with the cast 24 years later afterwards which was pretty interesting too.

Crazy that Mamik Singh struggled to get roles in films after that performance in his first film. I thought he played it really well.

What a song :love:

EDIT: Monday night but thought best to avoid triple posting..

Watched Queen which I actually really enjoyed. Worth a watch if you've not seen it.

Awesome! Sounds like you're a big fan of Aamir's films. Have you seen any others since you posted this?

I actually haven't seen JJWS but it's on my list. I have a DVD copy but left it at home so it won't be for a while though, lol.

Yeah, it's interesting to see the actors who once starred in big films with the top actors but then started struggling for roles after their 15 minutes of fame. Look at Chandrachur Singh and Rahul Roy who were once being called the next big thing. Not only them - Faisal Khan who is Aamir Khan's brother and starred opposite him in Mela, but nowadays is nowhere to be seen. Plenty of actors live in the shadows of their more successful siblings (look at Arbaaz and Sohail Khan) but are still visible in the industry doing other things, so this confuses me. Faisal had a decent performance in Mela and I remember thinking I'd like to see him in more films.

Oh yeah, Queen! What a brilliant film. I watched it about 2 years ago, after it came out on Bluray. Kangna is a fantastic actress and I was pleased to see her leading this film so effortlessly. It isn't the type of film I usually enjoy but I was pleasantly surprised and I think it's Kangna's best film so far. Hopefully she can match it with another film - I hear she was great in Rangoon and she has a big performance lined up in Simran with Hansal Mehta.
Original post by Roshni G
This is a really good review list! I thoroughly enjoyed Mohenjo Daro, I really like Hrithik Roshan! I want to watch Kaabil but I have heard that it is quite a deep film especially with the rape part. I watched 3 idiots yesterday and I must say it is an amazing film which is funny and at times emotional! Have you watched dear Zindagi yet then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks. Spent about an hour writing that, lol. :tongue:

Yes, Mohenjo Daro was fantastic! I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. It's one of the many films that get bad reviews but which I enjoyed anyway, so it just confuses me that audiences can be so fussy about the films. I guess not everyone appreciates variety and the craft of acting, dance, film-making like I do. :tongue:

3 Idiots is a classic! It's one of the first films that people mention to me when they find out I'm a fan of Bollywood, haha. I agree it's very funny and emotional - but I haven't seen it in quite a long time! I have a few Bollywood films that deserve a repeat viewing - Bajrangi Bhaijaan and Sultan being some examples. :smile:

I haven't seen Dear Zindagi yet. Been told it's highly recommended but I ended up prioritising other films I knew I would enjoy more. It's on my list though. :smile:

How about you? Have you seen anything else? I highly recommend Kaabil - it's a brilliant film and quite deep/emotional, but for me that's what makes a good Bollywood film. They are known for being theatrical and larger than life anyway. :biggrin:
I'm waiting excitedly for the teaser of Tubelight to release! It was supposed to arrive yesterday but it looks like it's been delayed a few more days. Can't wait! :biggrin:

http://static.koimoi.com/wp-content/new-galleries/2017/04/tubelight-poster-1.jpg
Original post by asif007
Haha, I'm glad you got round to watching Dangal. It's a brilliant film that left a lasting impression with me, and as a fan of Bollywood as well as kabaddi/pehelwani, I'm pleased to see the top actors exploring sports films like this. It's impossible for me to decide between Sultan and Dangal as the better film because they're so different despite both being world-class Hindi films from the top actors.

I see where you're coming from about Dangal and Chak De India having similar themes of women's empowerment. It's fantastic to see progress being made through the films in India where women's safety is still a huge issue. I like the fact that more daring and riskier films about women are also seeing the light of day - Lipstick Under My Burkha was recently allowed to release by the censor board, so that's good news. However, I did prefer Dangal over Chak De India just because I'm more interested in watching wrestling than hockey, which I don't understand very much. CDI is a fantastic film nonetheless, but I didn't enjoy it as much as SRK's other films which had a bigger impact on me. Veer Zaara being one example - hands-down one of the best Bollywood films ever made. I watched it with my grandparents for the second time a few weeks back and even though they don't watch many Hindi films, I think this one resonated with them too. Mostly because of it being a cross-border love story exploring both countries with love and passion. I'm sure it brings back memories for them of living in India before Partition. It's such an amazing film, and I could not watch it enough times, haha. RIP Yash Chopra.

Speaking of which, RIP also to Vinod Khanna. It's tragic to hear what happened to him - a strong healthy man in the prime of his life to being struck down by cancer and deteriorating so quickly. I haven't seen a lot of his films, but I know how much status he held in Bollywood. He will be sorely missed. :frown:

Awesome! Sounds like you're a big fan of Aamir's films. Have you seen any others since you posted this?

I actually haven't seen JJWS but it's on my list. I have a DVD copy but left it at home so it won't be for a while though, lol.

Yeah, it's interesting to see the actors who once starred in big films with the top actors but then started struggling for roles after their 15 minutes of fame. Look at Chandrachur Singh and Rahul Roy who were once being called the next big thing. Not only them - Faisal Khan who is Aamir Khan's brother and starred opposite him in Mela, but nowadays is nowhere to be seen. Plenty of actors live in the shadows of their more successful siblings (look at Arbaaz and Sohail Khan) but are still visible in the industry doing other things, so this confuses me. Faisal had a decent performance in Mela and I remember thinking I'd like to see him in more films.

Oh yeah, Queen! What a brilliant film. I watched it about 2 years ago, after it came out on Bluray. Kangna is a fantastic actress and I was pleased to see her leading this film so effortlessly. It isn't the type of film I usually enjoy but I was pleasantly surprised and I think it's Kangna's best film so far. Hopefully she can match it with another film - I hear she was great in Rangoon and she has a big performance lined up in Simran with Hansal Mehta.

Yea Dangal was very good but I just didn't feel it was as epic as Lagaan (which would be very hard). I'd def recommend it to others very quickly though. I don't follow Bollywood releases anymore so hadn't heard of Sultan. Probably won't get round to watching it.

Yea I only mentioned the parallels to CKI because I had been reading about Aamir Khan/Sharukh Kahn beef over the years and so wondered if Aamir was trying to outdo him :colondollar:

I must have watched Veer Zaara years ago but I don't really remember it.

Yea you should watch JJWS! I really enjoyed it and that song is just amazing.

I watched the following over the last few days:

Hum Hain Rahi Pyaar Ke - I didn't enjoy it that much
Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin - thought this was a decent watch
Maine Pyar Kiya - really enjoyed watch this again

I'd already watched Coolie, Dangal, The Lunchbox, Queen, Hum Apke Hai Koun, JJWS and Dil To Pagal Hai the week before.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by asif007
Haha thanks. Spent about an hour writing that, lol. :tongue:

Yes, Mohenjo Daro was fantastic! I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. It's one of the many films that get bad reviews but which I enjoyed anyway, so it just confuses me that audiences can be so fussy about the films. I guess not everyone appreciates variety and the craft of acting, dance, film-making like I do. :tongue:

3 Idiots is a classic! It's one of the first films that people mention to me when they find out I'm a fan of Bollywood, haha. I agree it's very funny and emotional - but I haven't seen it in quite a long time! I have a few Bollywood films that deserve a repeat viewing - Bajrangi Bhaijaan and Sultan being some examples. :smile:

I haven't seen Dear Zindagi yet. Been told it's highly recommended but I ended up prioritising other films I knew I would enjoy more. It's on my list though. :smile:

How about you? Have you seen anything else? I highly recommend Kaabil - it's a brilliant film and quite deep/emotional, but for me that's what makes a good Bollywood film. They are known for being theatrical and larger than life anyway. :biggrin:

3 idiots was fantastic, first time I watched it! I watched Kaabil last night and bloody hell it was so good! It is so upsetting. For dear Zindagi I found the first part a bit boring but it picks itself up after and then it gets really good. I recommend Dear Zindagi!
So excited to see Tiger Shroff in Baaghi 2 - sequel to one of the best Bollywood action movies of the last few years :smile:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/rf/image_size_960x540/HT/p2/2017/05/02/Pictures/tiger-shroff-inthe-first-poster-of-baaghi_48c3294a-2f04-11e7-aae9-524ad91d2809.jpg
Original post by Roshni G
3 idiots was fantastic, first time I watched it! I watched Kaabil last night and bloody hell it was so good! It is so upsetting. For dear Zindagi I found the first part a bit boring but it picks itself up after and then it gets really good. I recommend Dear Zindagi!

Kaabil is one of Hrithik's best performances, it was amazing! I loved him in Mohenjo Daro too - it was a fantastic film even though it wasn't a success. I started watching Dear Zindagi for the first few minutes but changed my mind and watched Khalnayak instead, which was really good! I fancied a drama/action instead of a more subtle introverted film, lol. But I still think Dear Zindagi deserves its good reputation, so it's gonna be the next Hindi film I watch - probably this weekend. :smile:
I'm beyond excited! :biggrin:

[video="youtube;MokeSCT0WUQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MokeSCT0WUQ[/video]
OMG OMG OMG I cannot freakin' wait! :biggrin: :biggrin:

[video="youtube;UKlkIzD-Yj8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKlkIzD-Yj8[/video]
A good old silly comedy! :smile:

[video="youtube;7MLW3UvYAJs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MLW3UvYAJs[/video]
Original post by Demi.star
Love SRK
Most of his old movies make me cry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! Many of SRK's best performances were the films I saw when I first got interested in Bollywood. He always raises the bar so high! :biggrin:

What's your favourite SRK film? :smile:

Yea Dangal was very good but I just didn't feel it was as epic as Lagaan (which would be very hard). I'd def recommend it to others very quickly though. I don't follow Bollywood releases anymore so hadn't heard of Sultan. Probably won't get round to watching it.

Yea I only mentioned the parallels to CKI because I had been reading about Aamir Khan/Sharukh Kahn beef over the years and so wondered if Aamir was trying to outdo him :colondollar:

I must have watched Veer Zaara years ago but I don't really remember it.

Yea you should watch JJWS! I really enjoyed it and that song is just amazing.

I watched the following over the last few days:

Hum Hain Rahi Pyaar Ke - I didn't enjoy it that much
Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin - thought this was a decent watch
Maine Pyar Kiya - really enjoyed watch this again

I'd already watched Coolie, Dangal, The Lunchbox, Queen, Hum Apke Hai Koun, JJWS and Dil To Pagal Hai the week before.

Yes, Lagaan is very difficult to beat. A film of that status rarely comes round in Bollywood, and I reckon most casual fans of Bollywood recognise Aamir Khan because of the calibre of his films. Lagaan, 3 Idiots, Ghajini, Rang De Basanti, Dangal - these are all some of the best films ever made in Bollywood, and it's impressive that they've all starred the same actor. :biggrin:

You've watched quite a lot of films! Do you have a lot of free time? The only time I can manage to watch a Hindi film nowadays is at the weekend - the best ones are around 2 1/2 to 3 hours long, and I like to give them proper attention (I hate falling asleep during a film, haha). Which means I can't watch them during the week when I have to be up early, lol. I've seen most of the films you mentioned but Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin is one I've never got round to watching. The early films that established the Khans in the romantic genre have got special value so that one is on my list :tongue:

Anything with Yash Chopra's name attached is a guaranteed must-watch - Dil To Pagal Hai and Veer Zaara are fantastic films. I do wish that Aamir Khan had worked with Yash Ji at least once. My impression is that SRK and Aamir have been casual acquaintances and not as close with each other as they are with Salman. But it looks like they've got a good professional relationship nowadays:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/shah-rukh-khan-hangs-out-with-aamir-khan-post-surgery/articleshow/57604653.cms
This could be a decent film. At least it's got a good remix of the classic Bhangra song (Dil Le Gayi Kudi Gujrat Di) :tongue:

[video="youtube;NEYB8T3gyFM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEYB8T3gyFM[/video]
Good to see Manisha Koirala on screen again :smile:

[video="youtube;1QtvC6jlRO8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QtvC6jlRO8[/video]
Defo, I'll sign up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest