The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

How hard is a foundation year in a 4 year engineering course (BEng)

Hello, I'm in the middle of making a really hard decision between 2 universities. However my parents believe that I shouldn't go to Swansea University to do a BEng in engineering with a foundation year and differed choice because I will find it hard. I know it will be hard, but they said the first year will be tough as I haven't studded A-Level maths or physics. The one thing I want to know is really, how hard is the first year (foundation year) for someone who hasn't studies A-Level maths or physics? Also I'm studying Engineering ans applied science, both BTEC Level 3. Thanks a lot.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi
I can't speak for how difficult it will be, but if you'd like to look at the module content you might be able to get an idea. 2014-15 modules will probably be the same, or similar.

https://collegeintranet.swan.ac.uk/handbooks/files/13_14/Foundation%20Year.pdf

Original post by Jar1995
Hello, I'm in the middle of making a really hard decision between 2 universities. However my parents believe that I shouldn't go to Swansea University to do a BEng in engineering with a foundation year and differed choice because I will find it hard. I know it will be hard, but they said the first year will be tough as I haven't studded A-Level maths or physics. The one thing I want to know is really, how hard is the first year (foundation year) for someone who hasn't studies A-Level maths or physics? Also I'm studying Engineering ans applied science, both BTEC Level 3. Thanks a lot.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ecraven
Hi
I can't speak for how difficult it will be, but if you'd like to look at the module content you might be able to get an idea. 2014-15 modules will probably be the same, or similar.

https://collegeintranet.swan.ac.uk/handbooks/files/13_14/Foundation%20Year.pdf

Thanks a lot for the help!
Reply 3
Foundation year shouldn't be massively challenging, it's a good way to get into the engineering mindset and is designed such that people without physics or maths can get up to speed with those subjects before picking their discipline.

As you'll see on the module descriptions there are some basic maths modules which will bring you up to a-level standard with various others which will make your level 1 year easier.

Swansea's foundation year is useful especially if you don't know what discipline you want to do as you can try out bits of each discipline, experience the uni before you pick a specific engineering type and even then transfer between schemes is easy.

If you've any specific questions about Swansea I'd gladly answer them i've been here 4 years now.
Original post by Jar1995

Hi I'm in year 12 and looking to apply for the same foundation degree at Swansea you got accepted to however currently study maths and chemistry. I was wondering what your offer was and whether you know if they prefer students who did not take a level science subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same dilemma
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Dyashida
Foundation year shouldn't be massively challenging, it's a good way to get into the engineering mindset and is designed such that people without physics or maths can get up to speed with those subjects before picking their discipline.

As you'll see on the module descriptions there are some basic maths modules which will bring you up to a-level standard with various others which will make your level 1 year easier.

Swansea's foundation year is useful especially if you don't know what discipline you want to do as you can try out bits of each discipline, experience the uni before you pick a specific engineering type and even then transfer between schemes is easy.

If you've any specific questions about Swansea I'd gladly answer them i've been here 4 years now.

Thank you very much for the help, you've been veryresourceful! Thanks!!!
Original post by Jadoreidior
Hi I'm in year 12 and looking to apply for the same foundation degree at Swansea you got accepted to however currently study maths and chemistry. I was wondering what your offer was and whether you know if they prefer students who did not take a level science subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend had an offer for foundation despite doing maths and chem (for chemical engineering).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMikeEsq
My friend had an offer for foundation despite doing maths and chem (for chemical engineering).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know what her grades were around and was it for swansea or a different uni?
Reply 9
Hi - the foundation years mentioned above are aimed both at people new to engineering/sceince who are keen and motivated ,and also for people who have studied the subjects but could do with improving their knowledge in these areas. the students who succeed are the ones who are genuinely keen and enthusiastic, willing to put a bit of effort into it. We have a good track record of people starting on Foundation Years, going on to do their degrees and finishing up with Masters degrees and even PhDs.

If you have any doubts try to coem and visit us: we're open for visits 11.00am to 4.00pm every day from today to next Friday (22nd Aug). No need to book, just roll up. We can show you the departments, get students to show you round and talk about what it's really like here and give you an idea of what it's like to study and live here - details on the website at http://www.swansea.ac.uk/clearing/open-afternoons/

Quick Reply

Latest