The Student Room Group

AS OCR Philosophy & Ethics May 2014

I have the Philosophy exam at 9am, then I have a 15 minute break, then it is my Ethics paper. Does anyone have any tips on what to do in those 15 minutes?

Any general Philosophy & Ethics tips?

Also, does anyone have any ideas about what sort of things will come up on this years' papers? It would be EXTREMELY helpful!! :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by belzwantswood
I have the Philosophy exam at 9am, then I have a 15 minute break, then it is my Ethics paper. Does anyone have any tips on what to do in those 15 minutes?

Also, does anyone have any ideas about what sort of things will come up on this years' papers? It would be EXTREMELY helpful!! :tongue:

Hiya! It seems like you're doing a different board to me, but I'd suggest you'd go to the toilet, drink some water, get some fresh air and quickly look over your condensed Ethics notes!

Expand, expand, expand! Its one of the problems I have!
Write quickly, but make sure your handwriting is legible!
Always evaluate and give your POV!

I'm not sure, but if you look at the past papers, you could see a trend?
Reply 2
Im doing the same board as you:smile:

Its just about reading the question carefully and then picking from your knowledge the points you're going to include. Don't be vague, you could only get away with vagueness in GCSE. Really dig deep with the specifics and use key terminology. Examiners love key terminology and it will make your paper stand out from the rest. While you have to try and keep your writing extensive, do not blabble on about the same point for too long, keep it neat and precise and to the point. Some examiners stay up late to mark papers and if yours is being marked at 12am, the examiner will want to see the points quickly.

Its hard to predict what will come up because of the style of the exams... they give your 4 questions and so almost any of the topics in both philosophy and ethics can come up. For philosophy though I feel like Plato's cave could come up as it hasn't come up in a june exam for 4 years, but it came up in last years January paper. They seem to like Mill's challenges to the teleological argument as well so have a look at that.Descartes ontological argument is also high on my list to prioritise. As for ethics utilitarianism comes up lot. Natural moral law hasnt appeared in the june exam season since 2011 so thats a big chance if this '3 year rule' is to be true. The same goes for Kant.

Make sure you know your ethical theories, they often come up because of extensive they are. Be able to apply them to abortion, genetic engineering and euthanasia.

I'm so scared for these exams... 1 week to go!!!
Reply 3
My teacher is predicting either Plato or Aristotle for Philosophy (both if we're lucky) since they didn't come up at all last year.

He also stated he doesn't think Problem of Evil OR Science and Religion are going to come up. I've pretty much focused on the arguments for God's existence, Greek theories annnd God (i.e God as Creator/Goodness of God).

Ethics... It's a little more straight forward in the sense that there's less therefore it's harder to predict what will come up.

I don't feel prepared. I've been an idiot and left everything till last minute. How are all of you feeling?
Reply 4

I think i'm on the same board as you, OCR?
Firstly, good luck, I hope the exam goes well.
If I were you in the break I would give your mind a rest, you have just done a philosophy paper and you want to be in as good a state of mind as you can be for ethics. Don't try and cram in any revision, just have a drink, go to the loo, let your brain have a break so you can go back into the exam feeling a bit more refreshed and ready.
In terms of what could be on the exam, my teacher dropped a hint that cosmological argument could come up as it hasn't been on for a while but apart from that has not said anything else. Hope that helps a little:smile:
Reply 5
Alright so basically there's a man called Peter Baron who writes revision books for philosophy and ethics and every year he does predictions (he's an examiner too and philosophy teacher too) . My teacher gave us a resource which told us predictions for this year and he is pretty accurate but obviously don't just stick to these but you can just use them as a guidance !

Ethics.
OCR
By Peter Baron

AS Ethics
Question 1
a. Explain what is meant by "moral relativism".

b. "Relativism is the best approach to issues surrounding genetic engineering". Discuss.

Question 2
a. Explain the main principles of Natural Law approach to ethics.

b. "Natural law is the best approach to issues surrounding the right to a child (or issues surrounding abortion)". Discuss.

Question 3
a. Explain how the concepts of sanctity of life and quality of life apply to issues surrounding abortion.

b. "Only utilitarian ethics satisfactorily accounts for quality of life issues". Discuss.

Question 4
a. Explain how a Religion of your choice approaches issues surrounding going to War.

b. "A Just War is impossible". Discuss.

Question 5
a. Explain what is meant by "deontological ethics".

b. "Deontological ethics is inflexible". Discuss.

Question 6
a. Explain the main differences between a teleological and deontological approach to ethics.

b. "Teleological ethics is of more practical use than deontological ethics" Discuss.

Philosophy
OCR
By Peter Baron

AS Philosophy of Religion
Question 1
a. Explain Aquinas' first, second and third ways to proving God's existence.

b. To what extent are Hume's challenges to causation successful in critiquing the cosmological argument?

Question 2
a. Explain what Aristotle meant by the Final Cause.

b. "Aristotle's theory of knowledge is more believable than Plato's." Discuss.

Question 3
a. Explain why some scientists do not believe that God created the universe.

b. Evaluate the claim that the Bible tells us nothing about the creation of the universe.

Question 4
a. Explain what it means to call God creator 'Ex Nihilo'.

b. "God is more designer than creator." Discuss.

Hope it helps guys and good luck xx

I'm really scared!!
It has only now dawned on me how close the exam is... and it is safe to say I have not done enough revision, and will probably fail. Hopefully I will bring the grade boundaries down a bit for you guys though!:wink:

I get really confused in the ontological argument, and also the cosmological argument. I really need to improve on them!

I didn't notice any Augustine/Ireneaus questions that you guys thought may come up? Is this because it has come up recently?

I also have my aqa psychology exam on the same dayyy. EW.

GOOD LUCK LOVELIES. X
Reply 7
Original post by RedFlamingo

I'm really scared!!
It has only now dawned on me how close the exam is... and it is safe to say I have not done enough revision, and will probably fail. Hopefully I will bring the grade boundaries down a bit for you guys though!:wink:

I get really confused in the ontological argument, and also the cosmological argument. I really need to improve on them!

I didn't notice any Augustine/Ireneaus questions that you guys thought may come up? Is this because it has come up recently?

I also have my aqa psychology exam on the same dayyy. EW.

GOOD LUCK LOVELIES. X

I'm sure you'll be fine, and Augustine came up in May 2012, Irenaeus in May 2013 so I assume that's why people are saying it won't come up this year. You never know though.

Good luck with this and Psychology!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by An4lyse
I'm sure you'll be fine, and Augustine came up in May 2012, Irenaeus in May 2013 so I assume that's why people are saying it won't come up this year. You never know though.

Good luck with this and Psychology!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much! That's really helpful :smile:
these were the predictions last year:

http://www.philosophicalinvestigations.co.uk/index.php/blog/1270-pred

and these were the questions that came up:

1a Explain what is Intelligent design.
1b 'The Intelligent design arguments make no sense'

2a Explain Descartes Ontological argument.
2b 'Descartes has proved that a perfect God exists'

3a Explain what is meant by creatio ex nihilo.
3b 'God should not judge us as he is responsible for the way we are'

4a Explain the theodicies of both Augustine and Irenaeus.
4b 'There is too much evil in the world for there to be a God'
Ethics June 2013:
1a) Explain, with examples, the importance Kant placed upon doing one’s duty. [25]
1b) To what extent is doing one’s duty the most important part of ethics? [10]
2a) Explain how a follower of the religion you have studied might approach the issues of
infertility. [25]
2b) ‘The right to a child is not an absolute right.’ Discuss. [10]
3a) Explain how the concept of the ‘Quality of Life’ might be applied to euthanasia. [25]
3b) ‘The ‘Sanctity of Life’ is the most important issue when considering euthanasia.’
Discuss. [10]
4a) Explain the main principles of the classical forms of Utilitarianism. [25]
4b) ‘Utilitarianism is not a good guide for resolving ethical dilemmas.’ Discuss.

so they are pretty similar!
Reply 10
My teacher says to revise Abortion especially and also natural law ...
anything could come up though which is annoying !!
so stressed as I know like nothing :/
Reply 11
i am doing the same board as you and we are only allowed 5 mins and not allowed to look at notes
Reply 12
Does anyone have any tips as to the structure of Part A question on the Philosophy of Religion paper, and how much time should I spend on it? (I have barely been to school this year, so all suggestions would be useful!)
Reply 13
I'm doing the same exam but we don't have a break, then I have to be supervised over lunch by invigilators then I have a 2 hour travel and tourism exam at 13:30. I've just started past papers, as so much time has been spent on coursework from other subjects
Reply 14
I'm doing the same exam but we don't have a break, then I have to be supervised over lunch by invigilators then I have a 2 hour travel and tourism exam at 13:30. I've just started past papers, as so much time has been spent on coursework from other subjects

@dw529 you have 1 hr 30 mins on the philosophy paper to do 2 questions so 2 a and 2 b so essentially 45 mins on each question so as part A is more marks I'm spending 25-30 mins on part A and 15 on part b
I'm on same exam board. I have two hours for ethics, a ten minute break if I want it than two hours for philosophy and then have to be supervised then a two hour psychology exam -_- I'm in the same room for ten hours.

Whats everyone doing for timing for questions? I haven't had any practises :/
Original post by ellilou13
I'm on same exam board. I have two hours for ethics, a ten minute break if I want it than two hours for philosophy and then have to be supervised then a two hour psychology exam -_- I'm in the same room for ten hours.

Whats everyone doing for timing for questions? I haven't had any practises :/

Ive also got a psychology exam on the same day, Edexcel though.
So 45 minutes on each question. 25-30 mins on part a and around 15 mins for part B...im sure you'll be fine dont stress, and good luck!
Guys i have soo much to do for Philosophy, ive got to get through science and religion, problem of evil, design argument, moral argument and psychology of religion....its a lot of pages in the book, i need to condense notes and i dont think i have enough time...has anyone got any advise? Should i just revise the ones that are predicted to come up? Anyone have any good condensed notes for these topics? What should i dooo??! Much appreciated!

I think at least one of the arguments are going to come up, expecially moral !!!

with ethics im thinking christian ethics!

anyone got any cleaver ways to remember everything !
Reply 19
For the part B question should you argue for and against?

Quick Reply

Latest