Help with how to answer an unseen poem question

Watch
nathaniakyra
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Please help me, I have no clue of how to tackle an unseen poetry question. I don't know how to structure it, I don't know how to analyse it, I really do not know anything. I gave never got above a D even when I thought I produced an A grade answer (seriously, that happened in my mock exam lol). Are there any questions you ask yourself to help you answer the question?

I just need all the help I can get.
H0PEL3SS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Look at the structure of the poem, and see whether it adds to the way you interpret it. Does it? If so, write about how it does. Do the stanzas have a regular structure? If they do, how does that help you interpret it?
Annotate the poem by writing on it. Underline key words, circle words that link to themes.
To structure it (in general- this was how I tried to do mine)
Paragraph 1- How the form adds to the poem, but link to the question.
Paragraph 2- What are the themes, and how do you get to these themes? Again, link back to the question.
Paragraph 3- Same as above, but for other literary devices that would be useful.

But for the actual content, what I always did was to look at a line, and interpret it. Then I'd quote it, say what it meant (try to throw in some key words like 'This conjures imagery of.....'), and then say why. To do this, I took one or two words, and defined how they aided my interpretation. I'd then come up with an alternative definition, and then say that if you took the word to meant that, it changes the meaning of the line.
Above all, practice! And get your teacher to mark it, and give you feedback. If you don't understand their feedback, then ask for clarification.
BCMFM16
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
AQA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nathaniakyra)
Please help me, I have no clue of how to tackle an unseen poetry question. I don't know how to structure it, I don't know how to analyse it, I really do not know anything. I gave never got above a D even when I thought I produced an A grade answer (seriously, that happened in my mock exam lol). Are there any questions you ask yourself to help you answer the question?

I just need all the help I can get.
The CGP guide is excellent, and if you look at the preview of page 3 on Amazon, you can get exactly the kind of checklist you need:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Unse...+unseen+poetry
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
No, I'm doing Edexcel
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
(Original post by H0PEL3SS)
Look at the structure of the poem, and see whether it adds to the way you interpret it. Does it? If so, write about how it does. Do the stanzas have a regular structure? If they do, how does that help you interpret it?
Annotate the poem by writing on it. Underline key words, circle words that link to themes.
To structure it (in general- this was how I tried to do mine)
Paragraph 1- How the form adds to the poem, but link to the question.
Paragraph 2- What are the themes, and how do you get to these themes? Again, link back to the question.
Paragraph 3- Same as above, but for other literary devices that would be useful.

But for the actual content, what I always did was to look at a line, and interpret it. Then I'd quote it, say what it meant (try to throw in some key words like 'This conjures imagery of.....'), and then say why. To do this, I took one or two words, and defined how they aided my interpretation. I'd then come up with an alternative definition, and then say that if you took the word to meant that, it changes the meaning of the line.
Above all, practice! And get your teacher to mark it, and give you feedback. If you don't understand their feedback, then ask for clarification.
Thank you for this!!!
WanderingWorrier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ooh, we got a whole double-sided sheet on this. I'll scan it in tomorrow
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
(Original post by WanderingWorrier)
Aw that would help a lot, thank you!
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
Did you scan the sheet you were talking about?
WanderingWorrier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nathaniakyra)
Did you scan the sheet you were talking about?
Oh, thanks for the reminder. Will just go and do it now
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
Oh, thanks for the reminder. Will just go and do it now
Okay, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads