Do I need higher English?

Watch this thread
24robbo
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
hi, I am in 5th year currently doing 4 highers - maths, history, human biology and French. however, I do not have English, and I got a 2 in SG.

I got 4 As in my prelims, and would be looking to possibly study history and French at uni.. or psychology and French, and the universities don't state that higher English is necessary.

we are choosing subjects in the next few weeks for 6th year, and I would've liked to have done two adv highers, and higher English, but because of the columns not working out, I could only do two adv highers - adv maths, adv history and higher English are all in the same column...

so, although it would be beneficial, do I really need English to get into uni?
greenladybird
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 24robbo)
hi, I am in 5th year currently doing 4 highers - maths, history, human biology and French. however, I do not have English, and I got a 2 in SG.

I got 4 As in my prelims, and would be looking to possibly study history and French at uni.. or psychology and French, and the universities don't state that higher English is necessary.

we are choosing subjects in the next few weeks for 6th year, and I would've liked to have done two adv highers, and higher English, but because of the columns not working out, I could only do two adv highers - adv maths, adv history and higher English are all in the same column...

For history and french I wouldn't say it was needed - it might help in terms of writing essays and stuff but that would be it.
For psychology you may need to have higher english but this depends on the course. Psychology goes quite well with english - whether you need it or not for specific courses you'd have to check their entry requirments.
Just a question, why are you thinking of doing advanced maths if you're not planning on studying it at all?
24robbo
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by greenladybird)
For history and french I wouldn't say it was needed - it might help in terms of writing essays and stuff but that would be it.
For psychology you may need to have higher english but this depends on the course. Psychology goes quite well with english - whether you need it or not for specific courses you'd have to check their entry requirments.
Just a question, why are you thinking of doing advanced maths if you're not planning on studying it at all?
Ah thank you. the universities that I've looked at have not put English as a specific requirement, which is why I have a problem with trying to decide what subjects to take.

I was thinking about adv higher maths because you do a lot of statistics in psychology
greenladybird
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Ah thank you. the universities that I've looked at have not put English as a specific requirement, which is why I have a problem with trying to decide what subjects to take.

I was thinking about adv higher maths because you do a lot of statistics in psychology
You could always message the universities to ask them if they'd prefer you have english even though it's not stated.
Ah fair enough
stephaniebtw
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Higher English is an extremely useful qualification to have as it brings a lot of skills needed in many uni courses and professions. Many of the universities are now favouring people who have their Higher English even if it is not stated as necessary. Colleges are the same, if uni wasn't to work out. My school actually make it so you have to take English in 5th Year, at either an Intermediate level or Higher. I would advise having it because it will safe guard you and help in a lot of cases, making your application better. (I've been doing a lot of research into what universities prefer to see in applications and what subjects they like students to have)
Asklepios
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

You've answered your own question there.

In terms of benefit, AH Maths and AH History are far better options than H English anyway. The sort of essays you would write in university are more similar to those in AH History than H English. And AH maths will give you essential analytical and problem solving skills.

Note: I may be biased because I didn't do Higher English.
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by stephaniebtw)
Higher English is an extremely useful qualification to have as it brings a lot of skills needed in many uni courses and professions. Many of the universities are now favouring people who have their Higher English even if it is not stated as necessary. Colleges are the same, if uni wasn't to work out. My school actually make it so you have to take English in 5th Year, at either an Intermediate level or Higher. I would advise having it because it will safe guard you and help in a lot of cases, making your application better. (I've been doing a lot of research into what universities prefer to see in applications and what subjects they like students to have)
I'm going to back up everything Stephanie has said. English is an incredibly useful skill and not just because it looks good on paper. It's beneficial in everyday life. Also, having a good grasp of written English will come across in your personal statement (and any job applications!).
AmisThysia
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I think others will argue well for the respective benefits of Higher English and Adv.H Maths, but I do want to chip in and say that Pure Maths is nothing to do with statistics. I did Higher Psychology, and studied basic research methodology, and am studying both Pure Maths and Statistics at Adv.H this year, and I can assure you that Pure Maths is not going to be helpful outside of teaching you general skills. Applied Mathematics: Statistics, however, would be enormously useful. When I did Psychology, we learned how to collect data, and how to interpret graphs, but learned absolutely nothing about statistical calculations. It's considered a huge problem just now that so few of those who use statistical methods in the social sciences actually understand any of the statistical mathematics that they're using - and I'm saying that having heard it from people who actually work in the social sciences and in statistics. Having the Statistics course under your belt may well be something you could play up in your personal statement if you decided to apply for Psychology, and you'd have a huge advantage over your fellow pupils who may not have studied it. If you can't study Statistics, I wouldn't bother with Pure Maths Adv.H - it's completely different - and I'd go with Higher English for the essay-writing and analytical skills.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (64)
15.84%
The paper was reasonable (197)
48.76%
Not feeling great about that exam... (101)
25%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.4%

Watched Threads