Turn on thread page Beta

Does despising modern feminism = hating women? watch

• View Poll Results: Does despising modern feminism = hating women?
    yes
    17.86%
    no
    82.14%

ReputationRep:
    I always see words like ''misogynist'' or ''woman hater'' used at the drop of a hat on here. But is it true? Are you a misogynist if you believe in traditional roles in your family? Or you don't buy the gender androgyny/blank slate/social constructions bs feminists spew ? That men and women are very different but should still have the same rights and opportunities even if the outcomes will many time be skewed by evolution and biology? That we have different strengths which make us complimentary and not competitors? Does simply disagreeing with them make you a woman hater?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Algorithm69)
    Nope. Feminists love to assert that anti-feminism = anti-women. Feminism does not have a monopoly on gender equality.
    ^ dat man speaks truth.

ReputationRep:
    Only according to feminist's without an argument based on logic.

ReputationRep:
    Most 'feminists' on here hate men. The hypocrisy and irony is outstanding. You wouldn't have anything against a logical, genuine feminist's views - sadly, 15 year old teenagers on a man-hating rage don't fit that criteria so that doesn't transpire on to TSR!

But no, disagreeing with feminism doesn't mean you hate woman.

ReputationRep:
    Lol what was that ninja delete? I wanted to reply.

ReputationRep:
    You can believe whatever you want with YOUR family. I do have a problem with you trying to inflict 'traditional gender roles' onto me when I have no desire to fulfil them. I don't think those opinions mean you hate women, but it might be worth not telling people to get back in the kitchen or whatever (ie traditional gender roles) if you're trying to give the impression you don't hate them.

ReputationRep:
    No and anyone who tells you otherwise is a dirty, filthy, stinking liar

EDIT - before some jackass tries to say otherwise, I mean this in reference to the question in the title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetrickyfox)
    You can believe whatever you want with YOUR family. I do have a problem with you trying to inflict 'traditional gender roles' onto me when I have no desire to fulfil them. I don't think those opinions mean you hate women, but it might be worth not telling people to get back in the kitchen or whatever (ie traditional gender roles) if you're trying to give the impression you don't hate them.
    Like I said, men and women are yin and yang. Equal rights and opportunities should be a given but equal outcomes should not. And don't try to hide or distort nature simply because the world today deems it politically incorrect or uncomfortable. Don't look for monsters where there aren't any.

Or as a great man once put it, ''the only thing we have to fear is fear itself''.

ReputationRep:
    No it definitely doesn't mean you hate women However... Saying you hate or dislike feminism is a ridiculous statement. Which sort of feminism don't you like? Radical? Dual systems? Marxist? Etc. they all have quite different views, in fact radical feminists agree that men and women are different and don't want to do all the things men do.
    Feminism as a broad concept believes in equality for women so if you dislike that it is strange. I find most anti-feminists just pick certain theories that they disagree with and apply those to all feminists which is pretty ignorant.

As a feminist personally I believe everyone should be able to choose to live how they wish, including traditional gender roles, and not be judged. However this isn't always possible because there are policies and discourses preventing women and men from doing this and that's why we still need feminism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieTT)
    Like I said, men and women are yin and yang. Equal rights and opportunities should be a given but equal outcomes should not. And don't try to hide or distort nature simply because the world today deems it politically incorrect or uncomfortable. Don't look for monsters where there aren't any.

Or as a great man once put it, ''the only thing we have to fear is fear itself''.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like what you're saying is even if they have the same opportunities they shouldn't expect things like equal pay? (as an example of equal outcomes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgie_M)
    No it definitely doesn't mean you hate women However... Saying you hate or dislike feminism is a ridiculous statement. Which sort of feminism don't you like? Radical? Dual systems? Marxist? Etc. they all have quite different views, in fact radical feminists agree that men and women are different and don't want to do all the things men do.
    Feminism as a broad concept believes in equality for women so if you dislike that it is strange. I find most anti-feminists just pick certain theories that they disagree with and apply those to all feminists which is pretty ignorant.

As a feminist personally I believe everyone should be able to choose to live how they wish, including traditional gender roles, and not be judged. However this isn't always possible because there are policies and discourses preventing women and men from doing this and that's why we still need feminism.
    Radical feminism is a perspective within feminism that focuses on the hypothesis of patriarchy as a system of power that organizes society into a complex of relationships based on the assertion that male supremacy oppresses women. Radical feminism aims to challenge and overthrow patriarchy by opposing standard gender roles and oppression of women and calls for a radical reordering of society.
    Radical feminism sees gender roles as a male invention used to convince women that they need to assume certain roles and that nature has little or nothing to do with it. Most radical feminists do not think there are major differences between men and women outside of the visible biological ones.

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like what you're saying is even if they have the same opportunities they shouldn't expect things like equal pay? (as an example of equal outcomes
    Of course they deserve equal pay and they already have it when doing the exact same job 99.9% of the time. Please don't start a gender pay gap debate, it's been debunked 1000 times.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they deserve equal pay and they already have it when doing the exact same job 99.9% of the time. Please don't start a gender pay gap debate, it's been debunked 1000 times.
    I was using it as an example of equal outcomes. You haven't explained what you meant by that. No need to be defensive.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they shouldn't, not by virtue of being women anyhow. If nothing else it's incredibly patronising to women to imply that they aren't capable of achieving a higher salary and should be given a charitable leg-up. I do not see any evidence that there is an all-pervading professional conspiracy against rewarding women appropriately in the work place any longer, and the notion smacks of victim mentality. People should be given whatever pay their merit deserves; paying according to gender fits the definition of sexism and is therefore something feminists should be rallying against if they mean what they say about pursuing gender equality.

ReputationRep:
    radical feminists believe men and women are different that is why they want women to live completely separate. They don't believe they're different in the same way you do but different none the less. For example they didn't want women to be allowed in to the army (or weren't bothered about it) because they said that is the world of men, war and hate that women don't want to/have no need to be part of.
    You are spewing the typical TSR ignorant view of what radical feminism is. You obviously haven't studied feminism, why would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    Of course they shouldn't, not by virtue of being women anyhow. If nothing else it's incredibly patronising to women to imply that they aren't capable of achieving a higher salary and should be given a charitable leg-up. I do not see any evidence that there is an all-pervading professional conspiracy against rewarding women appropriately in the work place any longer, and the notion smacks of victim mentality. People should be given whatever pay their merit deserves; paying according to gender fits the definition of sexism and is therefore something feminists should be rallying against if they mean what they say about pursuing gender equality.
    The notion of equal pay is based on doing the same job. Therefore it's not a charitable leg-up. It's giving a woman what a man would get for doing the same thing as her.

ReputationRep:
    Radical feminism sees gender roles as a male invention used to convince women that they need to assume certain roles and that nature has little or nothing to do with it. Most radical feminists do not think there are major differences between men and women outside of the visible biological ones.
    I didn't quote you in my reply but any other rebuttal to my original comment? Particularly I am interested to discover why you dislike feminism as a whole rather than certain types of feminism.

ReputationRep:
    I was using it as an example of equal outcomes. You haven't explained what you meant by that. No need to be defensive.
    Sorry but seeing feminists still moan about the so called gender gap even after so many years after being debunked can get quite annoying. Even Obama and other politicians use it , likely out of ignorance but probably just to get the female vote. The gap is for all salaries because men and women make different choices in work and life. If anything, young women make more than young men these days in both the UK and the US. But there is gap that is growing every year, fewer and fewer boys are attending college yet almost nothing is done about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgie_M)
    Saying you hate or dislike feminism is a ridiculous statement. Which sort of feminism don't you like? Radical? Dual systems? Marxist?
    I've never seen a feminist define themselves as anything other than a feminist.

I've seen people call a feminist a radical feminist, but that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    I've never seen a feminist define themselves as anything other than a feminist.

I've seen people call a feminist a radical feminist, but that's it.
    Yes because the lay person who believes in equality for women will just say I am a feminist. However the people who actually supply the very different theories fall within certain groups that they often don't even identify with themselves, necessarily. However that is why it is nonsensical to hate the whole feminism movement based on their theories (which is what JamieTT does) because the theories are extremely diverse, they are not homogenous and do not reflect all feminists. Different feminists identify with different theories more or less so it is hard to write off the whole idea.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.