The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Parking in Leeds/Commuting from Sowerby/Halifax

So I will be commuting to Leeds come September from the Sowerby bridge/Halifax and need some help!

Originally I thought about getting the train in, but my fiance has posed the idea of me getting a car (something that I didnt really consider because of associated costs)

However, with doing medicine and the associated placements (as well as still maintaining a job in the Manchester area) this seems a far more conveniant idea.

Whats parking like in Leeds? I saw that university parking is expensive (£5 a day?!) so wondered if anyone else drives in and if so where do they park?

Am also open to lift sharing!
Hi

Parking in and around the university is very limited. Unfortunately on-campus parking is for staff and visitors only. There is a nearby multi-storey (Woodhouse Lane) but that is also £5 per day.

The majority of students who live in Leeds and have a car will still leave their car at home and walk/bus to campus. You could park in the student area of Hyde Park and walk the 10minutes to campus, I know that's what many staff members do! Any parking less than 5 minutes walk from campus is restricted to residents only or short stay (2 hours or less).

I'd strongly recommend commuting to Leeds via train for days when you are in lectures on campus, but I can see that the benefit of having your own transport on days when you are on placement will also be beneficial.

I hope that helps,

Amanda
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by thatonethere
So I will be commuting to Leeds come September from the Sowerby bridge/Halifax and need some help!

Originally I thought about getting the train in, but my fiance has posed the idea of me getting a car (something that I didnt really consider because of associated costs)

However, with doing medicine and the associated placements (as well as still maintaining a job in the Manchester area) this seems a far more conveniant idea.

Whats parking like in Leeds? I saw that university parking is expensive (£5 a day?!) so wondered if anyone else drives in and if so where do they park?

Am also open to lift sharing!

Hey if you don't mind a bit of a walk there is always plenty of on street parking around Burley Park (train station) and that area. From there it is about 10-15 minutes into the University :smile:

I lived there last year and had a car (didn't drive to Uni in it) and was never stuck for parking.

Hope that helps!!
Reply 3
Original post by redferry
Hey if you don't mind a bit of a walk there is always plenty of on street parking around Burley Park (train station) and that area. From there it is about 10-15 minutes into the University :smile:

I lived there last year and had a car (didn't drive to Uni in it) and was never stuck for parking.

Hope that helps!!

Thank you so much! Is it fine to park on the street? I know that in many places it seems you need a permit of some sort or can be fined? Is that what many people do?
Reply 4
Original post by thatonethere
Thank you so much! Is it fine to park on the street? I know that in many places it seems you need a permit of some sort or can be fined? Is that what many people do?

That far away from University yes it is fine :smile:

Any closer and it is parking permit only. you can tell because there are white boxes and signs. Once you get to the far side of the park these stop :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks very much for the advice, seems a far better option!

Quick Reply

Latest