The Student Room Group

FP3 matrices

Hi

I'm told that three planes have the following equations:

3x+yz=13x + y - z = 1

xy+kz=7x - y + kz = 7

2x+kyz=12x + ky - z = -1

Find the possible values of the constant k for which the equations do not have a unique solution.

I don't really understand what they're asking for. Here's the worked solution for it (Q 8) but I'm afraid this doesn't help me much.

I understand that they've made the three equations in a singular matrix but why does this tell you the values for when "the equations do not have a unique solution"?

In summary, I don't understand the implications on the three equations if the value of k is 11 or 23-\frac{2}{3} (i.e. the values where the matrix of the three equations is singular).

I don't think this is strictly on my syllabus (I can't find it in any of my textbooks) but it'd be nice to understand it anyway.

Thank you :biggrin:

Reply 1
Original post by so it goes
Hi

3x+yz=13x + y - z = 1

xy+kz=7x - y + kz = 7

2x+kyz=12x + ky - z = -1

Find the possible values of the constant k for which the equations do not have a unique solution.

I don't really understand what they're asking for. Here's the worked solution for it (Q 8) but I'm afraid this doesn't help me much.

I understand that they've made the three equations in a singular matrix but why does this tell you the values for when "the equations do not have a unique solution"?

In summary, I don't understand the implications on the three equations if the value of k is 11 or 23-\frac{2}{3} (i.e. the values where the matrix of the three equations is singular).

I don't think this is strictly on my syllabus (I can't find it in any of my textbooks) but it'd be nice to understand it anyway.

When the matrix is singular, there is no unique solution.

Do you know how to find the solution of a set of simultaneous equations by using matrices?
Reply 2
Hi

3x+yz=13x + y - z = 1

xy+kz=7x - y + kz = 7

2x+kyz=12x + ky - z = -1

If you were just solving linear equations (forgetting about the geometry) then you could rewrite them as a matrix equation. If the matrix of coefficients had an inverse, you could multiply both sides by that inverse to get a unique solution for x,y,z.

A unique solution corresponds to the 3 planes meeting at a point, so this question is about identifying the other cases.

The rest of it is just sorting out whether all 3 planes meet in a single line, or meet in pairs at different lines, or 2 (or more) are parallel to each other.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by davros
If you were just solving linear equations (forgetting about the geometry) then you could rewrite them as a matrix equation. If the matrix of coefficients had an inverse, you could multiply both sides by that inverse to get a unique solution for x,y,z.

However, if the equations represent planes, we can't have a unique solution - because 3 planes can't meet at a point (try it with 3 sheets of cardboard if you don't believe me!). Therefore the matrix can't have an inverse i.e. it is singular.

The rest of it is just sorting out whether all 3 planes meet in a single line, or meet in pairs at different lines, or 2 (or more) are parallel to each other.

Ahh, I see :biggrin:

Thank you! That's quite cool :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by alow
When the matrix is singular, there is no unique solution.

Do you know how to find the solution of a set of simultaneous equations by using matrices?

Ye, I think I had a look at that a little while back. Thank you, I think I get what's going on now :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by davros

However, if the equations represent planes, we can't have a unique solution - because 3 planes can't meet at a point (try it with 3 sheets of cardboard if you don't believe me!). Therefore the matrix can't have an inverse i.e. it is singular.

Actually, sorry, but I can't quite see why three planes can't meet at a point. For example, if you look at the first diagram in this link, it looks like they meet at just a point. I know I'm missing something here but can't quite see what.

Reply 6
Actually, sorry, but I can't quite see why three planes can't meet at a point. For example, if you look at the first diagram in this link, it looks like they meet at just a point. I know I'm missing something here but can't quite see what.

3 planes can meet in a point. 2 planes however, cannot.
Reply 7
Original post by davros

Three planes can indeed meet at a point - consider the perpendicular planes x=0, y=0, z=0, which meet at the origin as the most obvious example. And indeed this is the condition for 3 linear equations having a unique solution - if the planes they represent meet at a point, there is only one point in 3-space that satisfies them all, so it is unique.
Reply 8

Original post by atsruser
Three planes can indeed meet at a point - consider the perpendicular planes x=0, y=0, z=0, which meet at the origin as the most obvious example. And indeed this is the condition for 3 linear equations having a unique solution - if the planes they represent meet at a point, there is only one point in 3-space that satisfies them all, so it is unique.

Yeah, sorry, I've always had trouble with 3 dimensions :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by davros
Yeah, sorry, I've always had trouble with 3 dimensions :biggrin:

2D causes me problems :P

Original post by atsruser

Original post by alow
3 planes can meet in a point. 2 planes however, cannot.

Ahh, thank you! This makes sense now :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest