Tornado downed by patriot missile Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3613319.stm

It now looks very much like it was the US patriot missiles, and not UK pilot error, which led to the friendly fire incident early in the war.

Can't say I expect anyone to be suprised.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3613319.stm

It now looks very much like it was the US patriot missiles, and not UK pilot error, which led to the friendly fire incident early in the war.

Can't say I expect anyone to be suprised.
I heard that on the radio earlier. The Americans making an error! Surely not?
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
I heard that on the radio earlier. The Americans making an error! Surely not?
Lol, I hope they have to apologise.

Stupid Americans.
pal_sch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If I remember right, back then they blamed the difference in the IFF system of the Tornado, something about it not being up to the right standards and therefore being recognised as an foe. Now it seems it was the same fault, only in the missile. How a pilot can fall to a anti-air missile by his own error never made sense to me.
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not a good time for my school, KCS (Kings College School) in wimbledon, that pilot of the tornado that was shot down was an ex KCS boy. Also im sure you've all heard about the tragic events in Germany with the school physics trip, also from my old school. I was on that same trip two years ago.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pal_sch)
If I remember right, back then they blamed the difference in the IFF system of the Tornado, something about it not being up to the right standards and therefore being recognised as an foe. Now it seems it was the same fault, only in the missile. How a pilot can fall to a anti-air missile by his own error never made sense to me.
Its the families i feel for. Coming from Lincolnshire which is the main RAF county, I have lots of links to RAF and RAF personnel. It pisses me off that the yanks (these were the top brass, not the operators) would blame 2 damn good pilots, basically saying they died due to their own stupidity, when after all it was a fault with an american manufactured system
Quite basically I would bet money they were scared of the number of contracts they would lose when people realised how stupid patriot is.
The israeli arrow system is much more sound
J
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Its the families i feel for. Coming from Lincolnshire which is the main RAF county, I have lots of links to RAF and RAF personnel. It pisses me off that the yanks (these were the top brass, not the operators) would blame 2 damn good pilots, basically saying they died due to their own stupidity, when after all it was a fault with an american manufactured system
Quite basically I would bet money they were scared of the number of contracts they would lose when people realised how stupid patriot is.
The israeli arrow system is much more sound
J
Oh, the patriot system is fine, as long as every plane and missile uses the exact same IFF and radar systems and flight caracteristics are always exact, as long as the opperators are alert and aware and don't overide any systems. It works even better if there were enemy planes to shoot down.
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Lol, I hope they have to apologise.

Stupid Americans.
ahem? Do i have something in my ear?
zug
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i hate americans. they are stupid and speak funny. rednecks
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by zug)
i hate americans. they are stupid and speak funny. rednecks
screw you.
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i cant say im in love with them either, I think its funny that they seem to like us, and assume we all like them, but the general opinion of them in this country is fairly low. They are, in general I stress, painfully ignorant when it comes to knowledge about the outside world. They are also in general rude, loud domineering, violent and uncultured. But in truth you could say that about many countries, especially us! And they're also pretty fat too. This is a personal view from my meeting of many americans, although some have been really great people. Theyd probably say we are all arrogant and sad. Oh yeh and they also have this stereotype of us that we've all got bad teeth. I love that one!
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by samd294)
i cant say im in love with them either, I think its funny that they seem to like us, and assume we all like them, but the general opinion of them in this country is fairly low. They are, in general I stress, painfully ignorant when it comes to knowledge about the outside world. They are also in general rude, loud domineering, violent and uncultured. But in truth you could say that about many countries, especially us! And they're also pretty fat too. This is a personal view from my meeting of many americans, although some have been really great people. Theyd probably say we are all arrogant and sad. Oh yeh and they also have this stereotype of us that we've all got bad teeth. I love that one!
and if this isn't the definition of stereotype, i dont know what is.
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A frenchman with onions round his neck in a stripy shirt and beret on a bicycle is a stereotype. The fact that the average american has little to no knowledge of world affairs is a fact. Ive seen your papers. There is a small international section in USA Today, almost all news is domestic, unless concerned with another one of your poor soldiers who has been sent to his death by the monkey in a suit.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by samd294)
A frenchman with onions round his neck in a stripy shirt and beret on a bicycle is a stereotype. The fact that the average american has little to no knowledge of world affairs is a fact. Ive seen your papers. There is a small international section in USA Today, almost all news is domestic, unless concerned with another one of your poor soldiers who has been sent to his death by the monkey in a suit.
then obviously you haven't seen all of our papers.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
then obviously you haven't seen all of our papers.
And neither have many of your population...
Pop quiz" as the americans say:-
Which has the highest literacy rates
America
Or (the country they hate so much for no good reason) Cuba

J
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (208)
49.29%
No (48)
11.37%
I'm not old enough (166)
39.34%

Watched Threads