Grace by Yahweh
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi there, I believe there was a thread with this title a few years back but the search engine didn't come up with it so reusing title for a new thread, (hope this is ok).

I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to what to expect when applying for Architecture without having done A level art but DT instead.

I'm asking this on behalf of someone else. She would like to apply to Bath, Cardiff, Oxford Brookes and then possibly Kent plus 1 (unsure still on 5th).

She has brilliant GCSE grades, all A* and As. She is doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry (dropping at AS) and DT. Hoping to get all As but hoping to produce enough to get an A* in DT.

Do you think she stands a chance at these unis without art as an A level or is it a complete waste of her time.

She has asked at school if she can go to art in her frees and plans on spending the summer doing a variety of pieces of art. She is very creative.

Any help in this would be grately appreciated. Thanks
SJB96
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Grace by Yahweh)
Hi there, I believe there was a thread with this title a few years back but the search engine didn't come up with it so reusing title for a new thread, (hope this is ok).

I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to what to expect when applying for Architecture without having done A level art but DT instead.

I'm asking this on behalf of someone else. She would like to apply to Bath, Cardiff, Oxford Brookes and then possibly Kent plus 1 (unsure still on 5th).

She has brilliant GCSE grades, all A* and As. She is doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry (dropping at AS) and DT. Hoping to get all As but hoping to produce enough to get an A* in DT.

Do you think she stands a chance at these unis without art as an A level or is it a complete waste of her time.

She has asked at school if she can go to art in her frees and plans on spending the summer doing a variety of pieces of art. She is very creative.

Hey, I don't know how others found it getting onto the course without art A-level but I'm finding it quite difficult. I took the same A-levels, dropped chemistry, and also got all A* and A grades at GCSE. However, my teachers predicted me AAB in Graphics, Physics and Maths. I applied to similar universities; Bath, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Oxford Brookes and West of England. Your friend probably stands a better chance with Bath, Cardiff and Edinburgh than I did if she gets predicted A*AA (they all rejected me due to "high competition"). But with Oxford Brooke's if she doesn't have a really strong portfolio of personal art work, aside from DT, they will probably reject her and advise that she takes a year out and does an art foundation. Not too sure about Kent though sorry.
GormlessWonder
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Agreed. The top unis can pick and choose, so if you're the type of person who is getting A*s in academia, and don't have an accomplished portfolio of personal work (read; not just casual photographs/sketches/graphics) then places that you expect to accept you won't in many cases. This is tough to swallow for people who've gotten top marks all their life.

Obviously we can't judge your individual situation, but the art thing needs to be known early on, it's a significant variable for the high achievers.

I'd like to hear from kids who didn't do art at all and got accepted to the renowned unis, I've not seen many of those posts on here.
Grace by Yahweh
Rep:
(Original post by SJB96)
Hey, I don't know how others found it getting onto the course without art A-level but I'm finding it quite difficult. I took the same A-levels, dropped chemistry, and also got all A* and A grades at GCSE. However, my teachers predicted me AAB in Graphics, Physics and Maths. I applied to similar universities; Bath, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Oxford Brookes and West of England. Your friend probably stands a better chance with Bath, Cardiff and Edinburgh than I did if she gets predicted A*AA (they all rejected me due to "high competition"). But with Oxford Brooke's if she doesn't have a really strong portfolio of personal art work, aside from DT, they will probably reject her and advise that she takes a year out and does an art foundation. Not too sure about Kent though sorry.
Great reply, thanks. I've read it out to her and her face dropped. So basically very hard without an art A level, OK, thanks so much cheers
Grace by Yahweh
Rep:
(Original post by GormlessWonder)
Agreed. The top unis can pick and choose, so if you're the type of person who is getting A*s in academia, and don't have an accomplished portfolio of personal work (read; not just casual photographs/sketches/graphics) then places that you expect to accept you won't in many cases. This is tough to swallow for people who've gotten top marks all their life.

Obviously we can't judge your individual situation, but the art thing needs to be known early on, it's a significant variable for the high achievers.

I'd like to hear from kids who didn't do art at all and got accepted to the renowned unis, I've not seen many of those posts on here.
A great reply too, thanks so much for the info.
SJB96
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Great reply, thanks. I've read it out to her and her face dropped. So basically very hard without an art A level, OK, thanks so much cheers
Don't let her be disheartened by it, I'm still trying to get in somewhere decent. Just advise her to start a portfolio early, I'd also suggest applying for art foundation courses as well as architecture courses just incase the unis reject her she will have something to do the following year that will increase her chances of getting in when she tries again. Unfortunately I was too late for that, so I'm trying to get into unis through ucas extra which is looking hopeful but if the worst happens I'll probably be forced to take a year out and work on a portfolio independently.
Grace by Yahweh
Rep:
(Original post by SJB96)
Don't let her be disheartened by it, I'm still trying to get in somewhere decent. Just advise her to start a portfolio early, I'd also suggest applying for art foundation courses as well as architecture courses just incase the unis reject her she will have something to do the following year that will increase her chances of getting in when she tries again. Unfortunately I was too late for that, so I'm trying to get into unis through ucas extra which is looking hopeful but if the worst happens I'll probably be forced to take a year out and work on a portfolio independently.
Sounds like the best path is to do what you are going to do, take that year out to work on the portfolio. Perhaps your school would let you go back in for the year to sit in on some A level the art classes?

If you add an art foundation year to the 7 years it makes it a very long (and costly) degree. She went to the UCAS day in London yesterday and spoke with a few people there about it.

Thanks again.
aliceishere
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Hiya! I'm currently a first year arch student in Bath, and I didn't take Art or any Art-based subject for A-levels Especially in Bath, the course is supposedly more technical compared to others so I believe Maths and Physics are very helpful, and the university specifically stated that no Art or any sort of portfolio is required for application.

Architecture and Art are very different, I have seen a lot of course mates, though very proficient in Art, struggled in designing. But since her concerns (I suppose) are about applying, a strong portfolio would be very helpful for schools like OB.
Grace by Yahweh
Rep:
(Original post by aliceishere)
Hiya! I'm currently a first year arch student in Bath, and I didn't take Art or any Art-based subject for A-levels Especially in Bath, the course is supposedly more technical compared to others so I believe Maths and Physics are very helpful, and the university specifically stated that no Art or any sort of portfolio is required for application.

Architecture and Art are very different, I have seen a lot of course mates, though very proficient in Art, struggled in designing. But since her concerns (I suppose) are about applying, a strong portfolio would be very helpful for schools like OB.
Hi

Thanks for the reply. So you didn't do any art based subject for A levels which obviously worked out ok for you which is great.

Bath is her preferred choice so it is first on her list. I suppose what they say then applies with regard to making her personal statement as strong as possible and doing well if interviewed. Did you do any work experience at an architects? She is hoping to do a weeks work experience at one sometime this summer.

If you don't mind me asking, did you use all your choices to try to get into architecture or did you have something else up your sleeve (in case arch at Bath didn't come through for you).
aliceishere
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi

Thanks for the reply. So you didn't do any art based subject for A levels which obviously worked out ok for you which is great.

Bath is her preferred choice so it is first on her list. I suppose what they say then applies with regard to making her personal statement as strong as possible and doing well if interviewed. Did you do any work experience at an architects? She is hoping to do a weeks work experience at one sometime this summer.

If you don't mind me asking, did you use all your choices to try to get into architecture or did you have something else up your sleeve (in case arch at Bath didn't come through for you).
Her personal statement definitely has to stand out. Bath only admits students with (or predicted with) A*AA so basically everyone's great academic wise, and w/o having to send in a portfolio means that the only real determinant is the personal statements

Yes, I spent a week in an architect's firm as an observer, but I've known a lot who didn't but still managed to get into Bath. The motivation to study architecture, I think, is even more important than that to grasp the admission tutor's attention, and should be focused in drafting her personal statement. I would suggest her to do some thorough research on what the ACE department of Bath is currently engaging in.

And yes I used up all my 5 choices in architecture
Grace by Yahweh
Rep:
(Original post by aliceishere)
Her personal statement definitely has to stand out. Bath only admits students with (or predicted with) A*AA so basically everyone's great academic wise, and w/o having to send in a portfolio means that the only real determinant is the personal statements

Yes, I spent a week in an architect's firm as an observer, but I've known a lot who didn't but still managed to get into Bath. The motivation to study architecture, I think, is even more important than that to grasp the admission tutor's attention, and should be focused in drafting her personal statement. I would suggest her to do some thorough research on what the ACE department of Bath is currently engaging in.

And yes I used up all my 5 choices in architecture
Very useful, many thanks
yeahyeahyeahs
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I did not do art and got into Westminster, but needed to show a personal portfolio. I was not good at drawing in the first year and think perhaps an art foundation would have helped to be honest. I still got a 2.1, was close to a 1st by one module.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
10.45%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.49%
Finding the time to revise (6)
8.96%
Finding the motivation (14)
20.9%
Getting distracted (12)
17.91%
Procrastination (27)
40.3%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed