The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to get 3 A's for A levels 2014?

I got CDDE for my as levels and was predicted BCC for A levels. Coming from a foreign country 2 years ago, i found it a struggle to adapt to the methods and articulate my answers ( I study History, History of Art and Politics.) I am working very hard to do well this year but the question that really remains is,is it possible for someone who achieved a C and two D's at AS to really get 3 A's? Trust me, this year I have got my head in the game and have been getting only A's and B's for my tests or mock exams. I feel I can do it but what do you think? If I do get 3 A's, I will apply to the uni of my dreams -oxford. Yeah I know it sounds silly but I will work my ass off for it. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How high are your Cs? I think you would need to resit your AS modules this summer if it isn't too late. But that can adversely impact your other exams due to the workload.

Oxford does not love resits, but at least you don't have to set out in detail all your module marks the way you do for Cambridge. Plus you can explain the language barrier thing to them. Hopefully this is getting easier for you.

It would be much better to apply to Oxford once you have the AAA. However, there is nothing wrong with any other unis and you shouldn't delay for a year *purely* to go to Oxford, especially given the chance that Labour may reduce home fees in a couple of years if they get into power.

Have you looked into whether you will need to pay Home or International fees? I think you need to have been here for three years to pay Home fees.
Reply 2
You sound pretty motivated which is good. When I first saw your AS results I thought you were being a bit too optimistic, but if you are getting A's and B's in mocks and you keep working hard I'm sure you can get the A's. A friend of mine went from getting B's at AS to getting 2 A*'s and 2 A's at A Level. And its not silly to aim for Oxford, unfortunately I am not clever enough for the Oxford, but had to settle for Oxford Brookes instead! :wink: Good luck and keep working hard! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by vat27
I got CDDE for my as levels and was predicted BCC for A levels. Coming from a foreign country 2 years ago, i found it a struggle to adapt to the methods and articulate my answers ( I study History, History of Art and Politics.) I am working very hard to do well this year but the question that really remains is,is it possible for someone who achieved a C and two D's at AS to really get 3 A's? Trust me, this year I have got my head in the game and have been getting only A's and B's for my tests or mock exams. I feel I can do it but what do you think? If I do get 3 A's, I will apply to the uni of my dreams -oxford. Yeah I know it sounds silly but I will work my ass off for it. :smile:

Such results (CDDE) will probably hurt your uni application but I think it will be possible to get three As, are you resitting your AS units?
depends how COOL and LAYED BACK, your teachers are. nomsayin?

nomsayin?
Reply 5
You could get an A in the subject in which you got a C, but it isn't possible to do so from D's due to UMS boundaries and scores and that as far as I know. You would have to resit some modules in order to gain A's in these subjects.
I'd definitely resit if you're looking to go to Oxford. There were people there when I went for my interview who had resit, or were looking to resit, some of their modules. It didn't effect their chances and I doubt it'll effect yours.

The best people to talk to about this kind of thing though are your teachers. They'll know best, and can give you advice to make sure you get the grades you want this time around.
Reply 7
if you get over 90% in both A2 exams for a subject, you'll get an A* overall no matter what you got in your AS exams
Original post by Cxx
if you get over 90% in both A2 exams for a subject, you'll get an A* overall no matter what you got in your AS exams

So if I got 0% in my AS exams and then 90% in A2 I will get an A* ?!?! Something is telling me that's not quite correct hmmmm...
Reply 9
I think you have to at least pass your AS exams... if you got a U your college probably wouldn't let you carry on with it anyway?
Reply 10
Original post by Hiraeth
How high are your Cs? I think you would need to resit your AS modules this summer if it isn't too late. But that can adversely impact your other exams due to the workload.

Oxford does not love resits, but at least you don't have to set out in detail all your module marks the way you do for Cambridge. Plus you can explain the language barrier thing to them. Hopefully this is getting easier for you.

It would be much better to apply to Oxford once you have the AAA. However, there is nothing wrong with any other unis and you shouldn't delay for a year *purely* to go to Oxford, especially given the chance that Labour may reduce home fees in a couple of years if they get into power.

Have you looked into whether you will need to pay Home or International fees? I think you need to have been here for three years to pay Home fees.

Thank you for all your advice! I am definitely retaking some modules for AS. Unfortunately I will have to pay home fees but thats ok :smile: Fortunately alot of my History of Art works overlap with my A2 unit so I wont have a problem with that. Bit worried for my Politics AS but for history im only retaking one unit because I got an A on the other - ive revised for this unit so that it doesnt affect my A2. Fingers crossed! Once again, thanks alot, this was really helpful
Reply 11
(one of my teacher's told me this, so I presume it's true- it might just be that one exam board, don't hold me to it!)
Reply 12
Original post by Lucinda H
You sound pretty motivated which is good. When I first saw your AS results I thought you were being a bit too optimistic, but if you are getting A's and B's in mocks and you keep working hard I'm sure you can get the A's. A friend of mine went from getting B's at AS to getting 2 A*'s and 2 A's at A Level. And its not silly to aim for Oxford, unfortunately I am not clever enough for the Oxford, but had to settle for Oxford Brookes instead! :wink: Good luck and keep working hard! :smile:

Thanks! Sorry I didnt mention to you guys that I will be retaking my AS units! That was good motivation ( mentioning your friend :smile: ) Thanks. P.S - I got an offer from oxf brookes AAA :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Comus
Such results (CDDE) will probably hurt your uni application but I think it will be possible to get three As, are you resitting your AS units?

definitely retaking AS units, sorry I should have mentioned this!
Fingers crossed (:
Reply 14
Original post by vat27
definitely retaking AS units, sorry I should have mentioned this!
Fingers crossed (:

I suppose you're in with a chance, I assume that you're applying to uni next year rather than this year?
Reply 15
Original post by Paralove
You could get an A in the subject in which you got a C, but it isn't possible to do so from D's due to UMS boundaries and scores and that as far as I know. You would have to resit some modules in order to gain A's in these subjects.

That makes sense, sorry i should have mentioned that i am retaking some modules.
Hopefully that should help step up the grade
Reply 16
Original post by sunburnt.penguin
I'd definitely resit if you're looking to go to Oxford. There were people there when I went for my interview who had resit, or were looking to resit, some of their modules. It didn't effect their chances and I doubt it'll effect yours.

The best people to talk to about this kind of thing though are your teachers. They'll know best, and can give you advice to make sure you get the grades you want this time around.

No absolutely, sorry i didnt mention that I am going to resit some units to step up m marks.
Oxford sounds like a mircle right now :smile: However, my main priority is to work hard and first get the grades.
Thanks!
No offence, you can forget oxford.
Reply 18
Original post by Comus
I suppose you're in with a chance, I assume that you're applying to uni next year rather than this year?

I have applied to unis this year ( for safe offers) and my firm choice is exeter ( The cornwall campus that requires lower grades). They want me to get atleast ABB which I thought was quite reasonable. However if I do get good marks, I will reapply. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Abdul-Karim
No offence, you can forget oxford.

No you are absolutely right, I shouldnt even be thinking about it. But I will prove you wrong someday.

Quick Reply

Latest