GCU vs Strathclyde vs Glasgow Uni

Watch this thread
micsuxx
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Everytime I say I will go to GCU people invite me to change my mind because GCU is bad! :eek:
I will study Digital Security, Forensics and Ethical Hacking.
Is this university really bad?
Calum10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by micsuxx)
Everytime I say I will go to GCU people invite me to change my mind because GCU is bad! :eek:
I will study Digital Security, Forensics and Ethical Hacking.
Is this university really bad?
Don't listen to these people. Each University has it's own strengths. For example, GCU's nursing program is one of the best in Scotland.

If you are to look at Ranking tables, yes, GCU is probably the lowest of the three in the title, this doesn't mean it's a bad University.

Last year it was ranked 80th of 124. Like I said though, some degrees are better coming from different universities.

I can't imagine Digital Security, Forensics and Ethical Hacking is offered at many universities in the world, let alone Scotland. In fact, I think Abertay is the only other Uni is Scotland which offers Ethical Hacking. Is it as reputable as Glasgow Uni or Edinburgh Uni, no. It's not a bad university though, so don't let these people bring you down. At the end of the day, you should be doing a degree that you think you'll love. You could study Law at St. Andrews, but you won't love it, thus you won't work as hard. Do something you love, no matter where it is, that's what matters!
pandicornx
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I get the exact same from everyone, but I've made my decision that I'm going to GCU. Go where YOU want to go, you'll do better if you enjoy it

Posted from TSR Mobile
micsuxx
Rep:
(Original post by Calum10)
Don't listen to these people. Each University has it's own strengths. For example, GCU's nursing program is one of the best in Scotland.

If you are to look at Ranking tables, yes, GCU is probably the lowest of the three in the title, this doesn't mean it's a bad University.

Last year it was ranked 80th of 124. Like I said though, some degrees are better coming from different universities.

I can't imagine Digital Security, Forensics and Ethical Hacking is offered at many universities in the world, let alone Scotland. In fact, I think Abertay is the only other Uni is Scotland which offers Ethical Hacking. Is it as reputable as Glasgow Uni or Edinburgh Uni, no. It's not a bad university though, so don't let these people bring you down. At the end of the day, you should be doing a degree that you think you'll love. You could study Law at St. Andrews, but you won't love it, thus you won't work as hard. Do something you love, no matter where it is, that's what matters!
I would like to thank you for these words. They are so significant and honest.
I asked this question because I am from Italy, and I don't know Scottish universities... I don't want to make the worst choice, but I feel like GCU is the best one for me, don't know why!

Thank you very much!
micsuxx
Rep:
(Original post by megannicollx)
I get the exact same from everyone, but I've made my decision that I'm going to GCU. Go where YOU want to go, you'll do better if you enjoy it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much! So, we'll be university-mates next year
I'll go to GCU because I like their methods, even if I tried them only online!
gdk2
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Calum10)

There is no law programme at St Andrews... just fyi
Calum10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gdk2)
It was merely an example of the main point I was trying to make.
micsuxx
Rep:
(Original post by gdk2)
Jeez it was just an example!!!
Relax!
Lucia92
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm in your exact position and italian as well
I'm leaning towards GCU because I prefer the course as a whole, so it'll probably be my firm.

I might see you in September then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
micsuxx
Rep:
(Original post by Lucia92)
I'm in your exact position and italian as well
I'm leaning towards GCU because I prefer the course as a whole, so it'll probably be my firm.

I might see you in September then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I decided to choose Digital Security, Forensics and Ethical Hacking as firm choice.
6/10 in Maths and English, 60/100 at Maturità...

In poche parole una "unconditional"

Wish to see ya in September!
Lucia92
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by micsuxx)
I decided to choose Digital Security, Forensics and Ethical Hacking as firm choice.
6/10 in Maths and English, 60/100 at Maturità...

In poche parole una "unconditional"

Wish to see ya in September!
They offered me a conditional as well for marketing, though it is pretty much unconditional as I already have my grades. However, it is subject to me obtaining 75% in the Esame di Stato (got 77%) and 6 in the Ielts (got 7.5).
I sent my diploma and Ielts results and they told me they'll get back to me as soon as they've gone through all the applicants who haven't received an offer yet.

Fingers crossed! And good luck with your exams anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
micsuxx
Rep:
(Original post by Lucia92)
They offered me a conditional as well for marketing, though it is pretty much unconditional as I already have my grades. However, it is subject to me obtaining 75% in the Esame di Stato (got 77%) and 6 in the Ielts (got 7.5).
I sent my diploma and Ielts results and they told me they'll get back to me as soon as they've gone through all the applicants who haven't received an offer yet.

Fingers crossed! And good luck with your exams anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks!

In case, we'll get out for a drink!
jackf9m
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hello I'm from Spain and I'm applying for next course. I'm interested in MEng Mechanical Engineering, and Glasgow offers a Mechanical with Aeronautics course which might well be my first option.

One of my plan B's is the GCU which has a Mechanical electronic Systems MEng that looks pretty good, however it is quite below Glasgow in the League Tables and I am not sure if it should be among my other 4 choices for UCAS rather than the same course in Edimburgh, Strathclyde or Glasgow, as I believe I can deal with their higher entry requirements.

I know this is an old post but I am new and have not found any comparison between the two Glasgow unis, plus most of you must know what the GCU is like by now.

Thank you in advance.
Nicole_S_gcu
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi Strathclyde is considered the best uni for engineering in Glasgow. I have friends who studied engineering at Strathclyde, gcu and Uws and all of them enjoyed studying at each institution and successfully got good jobs in the U.K. As engineers.

The ranking tables are important, but sometimes the best uni on the list isn't the best uni for the individual. For example a ranking criteria is how many academic papers the university publishes. If a university doesn't publish many papers then it negatively affects the universities standings. For most students the publishing of papers does not directly benefit them and could actually result in less lecture time due to staff having other academic goals outside of teaching.

It might be good to look at LinkedIn to research where recent graduates from the different institutions have gained employment. This might give a clue to the preferred institutions that companies select grads from.

Hope this helps
jackf9m
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
It was absolutely helpful, I would have never thought about the LinkedIn thing, thanks 👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
12%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (6)
6%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
17%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
21%

Watched Threads