University Transfer Dilemma - Stay or move? Watch

MuchProductive
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,

Having used the student room as a non-member for all things uni last year when I applied on UCAS for the first time, I figure this is the first place I should seek advice.

Long story short, I'm from Scotland and had a very bumpy 5th year, meaning I didn't achieve the results I should have in my Highers. I redeemed myself slightly in 6th year through my Advanced Highers, eventually accepting an unconditional to the University of Strathclyde to study L100 Economics. I was always slightly apprehensive about going there - it was not my first choice and I didn't like the course structure entirely.

Over the course of the year I began to thoroughly dislike the course (not enough of the subject I wanted to study), and contacted my old school to make another UCAS application in order to transfer next year.

Here I am a few months later, facing a dilemma I hope you guys could help me with.

I am sitting on four offers:

• The University of Exeter - Unconditional
  • The University of Surrey - Conditional (Pass first year showing first-class honours)
  • The University of Glasgow - Unconditional (1st Year)
  • The University of St. Andrews - Unconditional (1st Year)

I have been thinking extensively about this choice, and I have narrowed my choice down to either accepting my offer from St. Andrews and restarting from first year again, or staying at Strathclyde and bearing with the course which will become more focused on economics as time goes by.

Some of the issues I face are that St. Andrews would mean restarting and covering material I will have formally covered three or four times (Higher, Advanced Higher, First Year Strathclyde, First Year St. Andrews), whether St. Andrews is worth starting for in terms of its prestige, the social differences between my current university and St. Andrews, and leaving behind people I met in first year at Strathclyde - including a potentially long-term relationship.

If anyone has an opinion, useful information, experience of studying at St. Andrews - anything at all really - I encourage you to post and help me with my difficult decision.

Thanks in advance
MuchProductive
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
bump - sorry
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't let your friends and relationship affect your decision. With Facebook and Skype and things you can stay in touch. TSR has a long distance relationship society if you want advice, and you'll have the opportunity to meet new friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (64)
15.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (42)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
18.8%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (45)
10.84%
How can I be the best version of myself? (126)
30.36%

Watched Threads