How do I set up a new iCloud account?

Watch
la95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My sister has given her old iPhone to my dad, and presumably she's reached the limit of how many iCloud accounts can be made on that particular device. I want to make a new account for my dad, and presumably the best way of going about this is to make the account on another device and log into it on the iPhone.

However, I cannot seem to find a way of making a new iCloud account on another device (namely my sister's iPad) without deleting her current account. Is it possible?

Also, is it necessary to make iCloud accounts on an Apple device, or can it be done on other devices?
la95
Rep:
?
Anyone?
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by la95)
Anyone?
What does it say on the iPhone when you try to set up a new iCloud account? Have you reset it back to factory settings?
theronkinator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just reset the iphone in settings and when it starts up you'll be prompted to make a new account or sign into an existing.
la95
Rep:
?
(Original post by jameswhughes)
What does it say on the iPhone when you try to set up a new iCloud account? Have you reset it back to factory settings?
It says "Can't create Apple ID. This device is no longer eligible for creating a free iCloud account."

Yes, I have. I selected the "Erase all content and settings" options in the reset menu.
la95
Rep:
?
(Original post by theronkinator)
Just reset the iphone in settings and when it starts up you'll be prompted to make a new account or sign into an existing.
As above.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by la95)
It says "Can't create Apple ID. This device is no longer eligible for creating a free iCloud account."

Yes, I have. I selected the "Erase all content and settings" options in the reset menu.
I'm not really sure what to do. I've just read on a forum on the Apple site that the number of iCloud accounts which can be made from one particular device is 3, and there's no way round this (even with resetting the phone). If you have another iOS device you could make the account on there, but as you say you would have to clear all of your sister's content.
theronkinator
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In that case just create a new apple account in iTunes.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by theronkinator)
In that case just create a new apple account in iTunes.
Not the same thing. To get iCloud on an Apple ID you need to register for it on an iOS device/Mac, they don't just give it to anyone.
theronkinator
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Not the same thing. To get iCloud on an Apple ID you need to register for it on an iOS device/Mac, they don't just give it to anyone.
An iTunes account is enough to setup an ios device though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (34)
33.01%
No - I have already returned home (10)
9.71%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
22.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.8%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
28.16%

Watched Threads