Anyone here ever did warehouse work?

Watch
bloomblaze
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
has anyone here ever did Warehouse work?

If so, what was it like?

were you full time or part time?
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes i've done warehouse work , i'm currently working for a 3rd party logistics firm .

'what it's like' will depend on :

what the warehouse deals with - some warehouses only deal with pallet loads of product and you don;t do much with the stuff other than recieving it , putting it into the allocated location and fetching it back when it's time for it to be loaded to go out, other places you'll be hand-baling stuff off lorries / out of containers plutting boxes / packs away into 'ground floor item picking' and then picking single items / packs out of these locations - the pallet only places or palces which do pallets and ground floor picking will have lots of Manual handling equipment so you may well get trained to drive PPTs/ LLOPs or fork lifts .

what the workrates are timed at - some warehouses expect people to work at silly rates - they got the contract by bidding cheap and therefore need you to handle a lot of stock every day to make any money - other places have sensible work rates and they make their money on value added and the accuracy of the picks they send out

what the warehouse does will impact on what you do - if it;s all pallets you'll not do that much walking but if it's all single item picks you might walk 10 miles a day up and down the warehouse aisles ...
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bloomblaze)
has anyone here ever did Warehouse work?

If so, what was it like?

were you full time or part time?
I've worked for Harrods through an agency as a temp doing some online order processing, order picking, the job itself was really enjoyable and quite a good pay.

At the moment, I'm working in one of Sainsbury's distribution centres picking palettes of products and putting them in corresponding places through an agency as well. The job itself is repetitive, chilled environment, so it's very cold in there, 0 temperature I'm only here for a little over a month on full-time basis. After some time we get a chance to join client and move onto another part of the warehouse because the warehouse itself is very big and consists of: ambient (warm environment, products usually are like soft drinks, water, alcohol, food) and you pick products using electric palette truck where you have to drive it; produce (fruits and vegetables, eggs, fresh herbs); chilled (dairy, salads, meat, bread etc) and freezer (~-20 C degrees cold or even more).
Ana81
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yup worked for DHL as an order picker lasted around a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.21%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (88)
28.57%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.99%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
12.99%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise