Hunger Games books - just for teen girls?

Watch
bonbon
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've just watched the films and really enjoyed them - love the characters and the world... And Jennifer Lawrence. So thought about reading the books. But googled them and it all seems to be teenage girls reading it (nothing wrong with that)! But I'm a 21 year old guy. Would I enjoy them or they more aimed at kids? Thanks
hayheyley
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know plenty of guys who have enjoyed them. Give them a go!
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am a guy and I enjoyed them.
Cll_ws
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I liked them. I'm 22.
SerLorasTyrell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No they are not girl books in the slightest

Posted from TSR Mobile
bonbon
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Cool, thanks guys... will give them a go!
Fluorish_Blotts
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you started reading them yet? My boyfriend is 22; he loved the Hunger Games. He recommended it to me, and I really liked the first two books, but I was a little disappointed by the 3rd one.
SianTee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've got a friend who's 21 male, and he really enjoys the books

Books are always better than the films imo anyway so
Fluorish_Blotts
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SianTee)

Books are always better than the films imo anyway so
I concur! Books are awesome!
Dougieowner
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I love the books! I think they're great for anyone, no matter what gender or age
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dougieowner)
I love the books! I think they're great for anyone, no matter what gender or age
Love your avatar!

Completely agree, my brother who's graduating uni this year is a massive hunger games fan boy, and he's your stereotypical rugby player!!
Feraligatr
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Twilight is for teen girls

I know guys who have read the book

(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
Love your avatar!

Completely agree, my brother who's graduating uni this year is a massive hunger games fan boy, and he's your stereotypical rugby player!!
Hello, we meet again..
miser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I read them and enjoyed them when I was 23. That said, there is teenage girl stuff in them. The love triangle between Katniss, Peter and Gale annoyed me to no end. She should just make up her mind already. Although Katniss is more-or-less a tomboy, in this respect she is very girly.
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zhang-liao)
Twilight is for teen girls

I know guys who have read the book

Hello, we meet again..
We do indeed Mr. Bond :teehee:

(Original post by miser)
I read them and enjoyed them when I was 23. That said, there is teenage girl stuff in them. The love triangle between Katniss, Peter and Gale annoyed me to no end. She should just make up her mind already. Although Katniss is more-or-less a tomboy, in this respect she is very girly.
Hmmm except I think the important thing is never about who she fancies, it's about her staying alive and wanting to stay alive.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm a guy and i enjoyed them.

I'm a fairly "manly-man" in most respects with strongman and motorbikes but didn't find these books too girly. The love triangle was a little bit but it was more determined by the necessities of the situations she was put into.

I enjoyed the movies as well but felt like they overly simplified a lot of the things in the films and missed out other cool thins i liked. Will be very interested to see how the final film works out.
miser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hmmm except I think the important thing is never about who she fancies, it's about her staying alive and wanting to stay alive.
I don't think it's fair to say that love and emotional investigation were unimportant themes in the book. Katniss spent a significant amount of time worrying and thinking about it. And it's not like staying alive was the primary thought on her mind for the duration of the trilogy - even when she's in the games in the first book she's preoccupied with how she's treating Peter versus what Gale will think. It seemed like a very teenage-girly thing in an otherwise enjoyable series.
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by miser)
I don't think it's fair to say that love and emotional investigation were unimportant themes in the book. Katniss spent a significant amount of time worrying and thinking about it. And it's not like staying alive was the primary thought on her mind for the duration of the trilogy - even when she's in the games in the first book she's preoccupied with how she's treating Peter versus what Gale will think. It seemed like a very teenage-girly thing in an otherwise enjoyable series.
I think this post explains it far better than I ever could http://www.feministe.us/blog/archive...-that-matters/
miser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think this post explains it far better than I ever could http://www.feministe.us/blog/archive...-that-matters/
Sorry I don't really understand which message of that post you want to direct towards me. Maybe I'm technically incorrect in calling it a love triangle - I really only did that for convenience. I just found her pages of emotional indecision annoying at times and the kind of thing that I'd expect to find in YA literature for teenage girls. I agree that she's still a strong character, and even that you might expect her to feel the way she felt given that she is in fact a teenage girl. It's quite reasonable to expect her emotions to be confused. I just wasn't particularly interested in reading about it.
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by miser)
Sorry I don't really understand which message of that post you want to direct towards me. Maybe I'm technically incorrect in calling it a love triangle - I really only did that for convenience. I just found her pages of emotional indecision annoying at times and the kind of thing that I'd expect to find in YA literature for teenage girls. I agree that she's still a strong character, and even that you might expect her to feel the way she felt given that she is in fact a teenage girl. It's quite reasonable to expect her emotions to be confused. I just wasn't particularly interested in reading about it.
I think that post just shows that the emotional stuff is very much of a lower importance than other things and only comes about from other themes.
justanotherposter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by miser)
I never really got the love triangle complaint, she was meant to be a teenage girl, that's the whole point. The author's dad was a soldier so she wanted the main character to be a normal girl who struggled to deal with the reality of her situation, she wanted to avoid making Katniss some indestructible badass as much as possible, which is why she is dealing with PTSD from the second book onwards. She was a normal girl that unintentionally became the figurehead of a revolution who didn't really want any part in it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (36)
15.58%
I'm not sure (8)
3.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (85)
36.8%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.73%
I'm not a current university student (98)
42.42%

Watched Threads