Burt Reynolds
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I am studying a year 0 course at the moment which means I will be a first year next year. I am living at home at the moment and when I contacted the uni, they said I would not be eligible to reserve a place in halls next year due to my previous year of study. However, on previous application forms it does not mention about if i previously studied, only if I will be a first year, 2nd etc.

Do you think it would be possible to reserve anyway without ringing alarm bells. Living so far from uni = no social life
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try to get in contact with the uni again and explain that you didn't accept a place in halls last year under the impression that at a first year student next year you would be guaranteed accommodation just like all the other freshers (assuming your uni does this...).
Have you sent off any forms yet? If it is possible for you to fill out the forms without mentioning your previous year of study then do it and they might not notice...
It does seem a bit of a silly policy - after all next year you will be starting a course with new people (because some will have skipped the year 0/ switched from other unis etc.) and so living in halls and making new friends is going to be very important to you - even though you've not got the problem of trying to find a house/ flat in a city you don't know at all.
Are you sure the issue isn't that your home is too close to uni? I know some friends who went to unis that refused to give them accommodation in halls because their homes were too nearby!
Burt Reynolds
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
They had said to me that I could apply for a room in halls if any vacancies occur during the first term so i don't think distance is an issue. I'll wait until the forms come out and see if there is any mention of previous study although they haven't specified when these come out! If that doesn't work I'll try your first idea of having guaranteed accommodation for freshers.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Burt Reynolds)
So I am studying a year 0 course at the moment which means I will be a first year next year. I am living at home at the moment and when I contacted the uni, they said I would not be eligible to reserve a place in halls next year due to my previous year of study. However, on previous application forms it does not mention about if i previously studied, only if I will be a first year, 2nd etc.

Do you think it would be possible to reserve anyway without ringing alarm bells. Living so far from uni = no social life
It's the same at UEA, only people who are going into their first year at the university can get accomodation in halls, so if you've done a year 0 you can't live in halls in first year.

If you want to live nearer why don't you find a house-share, there are bound to be others looking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads