Does UKIP want to be part of EFTA? Like Norway, Iceland, Switzerland etc are?

Watch
hsv
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Does UKIP want to be part of EFTA (European Free Trade Association) like the Western European nations that are not part of the EU are (Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Liechtenstein)? Thus the Uk doesn't have tariffs or duties when importing or exporting products but are not part of the EU, is that a policy UKIP support?
captain.sensible
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
well, they pretty clearly want to leave the EU opposed to reform it, so I'd make an educated guess and assume that they simply want to leave it, but they do seem to use switzerland and co. as an example of how bad we in the main EU club have it
crayz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
Does UKIP want to be part of EFTA (European Free Trade Association) like the Western European nations that are not part of the EU are (Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Liechtenstein)? Thus the Uk doesn't have tariffs or duties when importing or exporting products but are not part of the EU, is that a policy UKIP support?
We should leave the EU and join NAFTA when their free trade deal is agreed. No need for a referendum etc we can get our cake and eat it.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by crayz)
We should leave the EU and join NAFTA when their free trade deal is agreed. No need for a referendum etc we can get our cake and eat it.
Irrespective of the UKIP slant in this, trade barriers and tariffs are being eradicated globally. The US has a free trade deal with South Korea. South Korea is part of ASEAN.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Irrespective of the UKIP slant in this, trade barriers and tariffs are being eradicated globally. The US has a free trade deal with South Korea. South Korea is part of ASEAN.
We already have a free trade deal with South Korea.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by crayz)
The problem is we don't want the nasty unregulated food they have in America.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
The problem is we don't want the nasty unregulated food they have in America.
Remember when hurricane Katrina hit and the UK sent over ration packs that were quarantined by the US
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
Not sure.

We should remind ourselves that members of the EFTA must still obey EU regulations and must also accept the ''Free Movement of People'':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area
http://www.efta.int/eea/policy-areas/persons

If you consider the issues that UKIP want to focus on (http://www.ukip.org/issues), you'll notice that joining the EFTA would not actually do the following:

- ''Return powers to the UK'' - We'd still have to obey EU regulations/laws and wouldn't even have a say in their creation (we'd be out of the European Council and Parliament).

- ''Protect Our Borders'' - The free movement of people would still be there.

So... yeah?
Tamora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
We already have a free trade deal with South Korea.
'We' means the EU of course.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tamora)
'We' means the EU of course.
Yup and Singapore. Soon the US as well.
hsv
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Not sure.

We should remind ourselves that members of the EFTA must still obey EU regulations and must also accept the ''Free Movement of People'':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area
http://www.efta.int/eea/policy-areas/persons

If you consider the issues that UKIP want to focus on (http://www.ukip.org/issues), you'll notice that joining the EFTA would not actually do the following:

- ''Return powers to the UK'' - We'd still have to obey EU regulations/laws and wouldn't even have a say in their creation (we'd be out of the European Council and Parliament).

- ''Protect Our Borders'' - The free movement of people would still be there.

So... yeah?
So what does EFTA opt you out of if you still have to obey EU regulations and accept free movement of people? It seems like there was no reason for Norway to opt out of the EU and set up/join the EFTA if there are so little differences, doesn't get you out of EU laws etc.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
So what does EFTA opt you out of if you still have to obey EU regulations and accept free movement of people? It seems like there was no reason for Norway to opt out of the EU and set up/join the EFTA if there are so little differences, doesn't get you out of EU laws etc.
Not too sure. I know that EU members need to pay a yearly fee to be a member. I don't think that EFTA members need to.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not too sure. I know that EU members need to pay a yearly fee to be a member. I don't think that EFTA members need to.
Both Norway and Iceland do pay a fee, it's less than a billion though. The UK would have it scaled up for it's population size so it would still be a few billion.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Both Norway and Iceland do pay a fee, it's less than a billion though. The UK would have it scaled up for it's population size so it would still be a few billion.
Wasn't aware of that. Do you know of any differences between the EFTA and the EU? (Other than that those in the EU get to take part in the formation of laws/regulations/etc and those in the EFTA do not)
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wasn't aware of that. Do you know of any differences between the EFTA and the EU? (Other than that those in the EU get to take part in the formation of laws/regulations/etc and those in the EFTA do not)
Okay, so there's two ways you can join EFTA.. Either you do what Norway and Iceland have done or you sign up to each policy area as a bi-lateral agreement individually like Switzerland has done (some question of whether we'd be able to - as we've seen recently they are stopping free movement).

EFTA members have free movement of goods, services, capital and people (single market) as usual but we'd pay around £3bn instead of a net £6bn+ at the moment. We'd regain control of trade agreements, fisheries, agriculture, home affairs and justice and the European arrest warrant (though we already have an opt out there). There's no VAT requirement. We inherit about 4,500 laws/regulations (about a quarter of what we have already) and then have to agree to about 40% of new ones each year.

http://www.brugesgroup.com/EFTAorEUQ%26As.pdf

Source is a little biased but broadly factual.

Ukip i would imagine would try to replicate Switzerland so they can stop EU immigration although i would personally actually agree to Justice, ECHR and the EU arrest warrant.
Tamora
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yup and Singapore. Soon the US as well.
Pro and anti EU supporters will disagree on whether having the EU take over our trade negotiations is a good thing to the end of time.
Tamora
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That would be up for negotiation.
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
You don't have to obey all regulations, only those designed to ensure common standards for trade, preventing subsidies and stealth tariffs, etc. These are generally the ones that are objected to least by the British public. It is true that EFTA members accept some parts of EU law but it is not true that they accept all of it, and the two seem to often be conflated. From the point of view of trade, EFTA members are able to make their own trade agreements with countries outside of the European Internal Market, whereas the EU requires all members adopt a common tariff and subsidy arrangement.

The differences are even more substantial in the case of Switzerland, which is not a member of the EEA. In effect Switzerland is simply treated as a bilateral treaty partner of the EU, rather than as a member of an overarching organisation.

One thing that interests me in all this is the people pointing out that the EU has a trade deal with South Korea and that this is therefore something valuable provided to us by the EU. Why not apply the logic the other way, and look at South Korea in this agreement rather than at the EU? South Korea is smaller and less wealthy than Britain, much further away and less important as a trade partner for most EU countries. If South Korea can secure a fully bilateral free trade agreement with the EU - and there's no suggestion South Korea has somehow sacrificed its sovereignty to the EU because it can't elect Koreans to the EU Parliament - why expect Britain to do worse? Incidentally South Korea has not granted EU citizens a universal right of residency in their country.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tamora)
That would be up for negotiation.
I don't think so, it's essentially an entry fee. We'd pay around £3bn per year (about a third of now), we'd just not be waffling about the rebate or who's a net contributor.
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think so, it's essentially an entry fee. We'd pay around £3bn per year (about a third of now), we'd just not be waffling about the rebate or who's a net contributor.
How much does SK pay the EU for its free trade agreement?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (185)
58.18%
I don't have everything I need (133)
41.82%

Watched Threads