The Student Room Group

Can anyone make sense of this? not sure what to do.

Met a guy, got on well chatted for 2 weeks or so came for a night out with a few of his friends (who I also knew but didn't know knew him) for my birthday

Went home with him that night spoke about it the next day both don't want anything serious (I'd prefer a FWB didn't really get what he wanted)

Carried on talking to each other now we're friend/friendly looked after me when I was really ill and stuff (only a week after sleeping with him)

Week later went round to his after work which I work late for a club, both a bit drunk ended up sleeping with each other again but it was a thing we both knew was going to happen and wanted it to. This time we spooned and cuddled and he was holding my hand and stuff (found that a bit odd not really a fwb thing?) wanted me to stick around in the morning watching tv and stuff even shows he hates.

That's the background of what's happened. So again a week later I go round to his after work both sober this time he made me some food and a cup of tea. He's quite socially awkward so not the player type never gone home with a girl he met out (except me) always saying I'm out of his league and couldn't believe I went back with him. Isn't an initiator or confident in that way basically.

So we go to bed and again with the spooning and cuddling but no other moves to indicate he wanted to have sex even though he clearly did (if you catch my drift) so I initiated it. Kissed for a while and foreplay and stuff but he stopped me before we had sex saying that "we can't" when I asked why he said because I was an amazing girl :s-smilie: he really didn't want to stop but he's not ready for sex right now (even though it's already happened) and he's emotionally detached which is why he broke up with his ex a few months back because he just stopped caring and he didn't want to be like that with me and I deserved more than that. Said he'll probably be ready soon. Also kept trying to find out if I was speaking to other people and kept giving me hints he wasn't even though I never asked.

I just can't make sense of that what on earth does he want? And what should I do?
Reply 1
Also says weird things like calls me darling and dear and tells me stuff I do is cute and adorable but then says I'm really attractive (in a sexual way) and how I make him laugh and stuff :s-smilie:
Original post by Anonymous

Met a guy, got on well chatted for 2 weeks or so came for a night out with a few of his friends (who I also knew but didn't know knew him) for my birthday

Went home with him that night spoke about it the next day both don't want anything serious (I'd prefer a FWB didn't really get what he wanted)

Carried on talking to each other now we're friend/friendly looked after me when I was really ill and stuff (only a week after sleeping with him)

Week later went round to his after work which I work late for a club, both a bit drunk ended up sleeping with each other again but it was a thing we both knew was going to happen and wanted it to. This time we spooned and cuddled and he was holding my hand and stuff (found that a bit odd not really a fwb thing?) wanted me to stick around in the morning watching tv and stuff even shows he hates.

That's the background of what's happened. So again a week later I go round to his after work both sober this time he made me some food and a cup of tea. He's quite socially awkward so not the player type never gone home with a girl he met out (except me) always saying I'm out of his league and couldn't believe I went back with him. Isn't an initiator or confident in that way basically.

So we go to bed and again with the spooning and cuddling but no other moves to indicate he wanted to have sex even though he clearly did (if you catch my drift) so I initiated it. Kissed for a while and foreplay and stuff but he stopped me before we had sex saying that "we can't" when I asked why he said because I was an amazing girl :s-smilie: he really didn't want to stop but he's not ready for sex right now (even though it's already happened) and he's emotionally detached which is why he broke up with his ex a few months back because he just stopped caring and he didn't want to be like that with me and I deserved more than that. Said he'll probably be ready soon. Also kept trying to find out if I was speaking to other people and kept giving me hints he wasn't even though I never asked.

I just can't make sense of that what on earth does he want? And what should I do?

He wants something serious, not a few cheap pointless shags. He's trying to sound you out about whether you want something similar. As far as the male gender go he sounds fairly decent as a human being I've got to say.
Also says weird things like calls me darling and dear and tells me stuff I do is cute and adorable but then says I'm really attractive (in a sexual way) and how I make him laugh and stuff :s-smilie:

He wants it to develop into a relationship but is a bit awkward about the process and isn't really happy with it just being FWB even though that's what you agreed initially.

Him telling you he's not looking for anyone else is his way of saying he's available and wants an exclusive relationship with you.

His asking if you are speaking to other people is insecurity that you will find someone else in the meantime / not exclusively seeing him.

He's also scared of screwing things up with you especially because he can't believe you find him attractive enough to have sex with.

So he's put the ball in your court and waiting for you to decide one way or the other and hoping you will stick around because he hasn't worked out himself if it's too soon to start a new relationship after hos old one ended.

In a nutshell he wants a relationship but is worried if he just came out with it, you will finish with him and he doesn't know if he's ready or not yet or whether you think he may not be ready so soon after the last one ended.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jenkinsear
He wants something serious, not a few cheap pointless shags. He's trying to sound you out about whether you want something similar. As far as the male gender go he sounds fairly decent as a human being I've got to say.

Yeah I was glad he said something rather than just did it. I just don't understand why he would say he didn't want anything serious :/ although to be fair he didn't really know me well at all after the first time.
Reply 5
Original post by uberteknik
He wants it to develop into a relationship but is a bit awkward about the process and isn't really happy with it just being FWB even though that's what you agreed initially.

Him telling you he's not looking for anyone else is his way of saying he's available and wants an exclusive relationship with you.

His asking if you are speaking to other people is insecurity that you will find someone else in the meantime / not exclusively seeing him.

He's also scared of screwing things up with you especially because he can't believe you find him attractive enough to have sex with.

So he's put the ball in your court and waiting for you to decide one way or the other and hoping you will stick around because he hasn't worked out himself if it's too soon to start a new relationship after hos old one ended.

In a nutshell he wants a relationship but is worried if he just came out with it, you will finish with him and he doesn't know if he's ready or not yet or whether you think he may not be ready so soon after the last one ended.

I never thought of it like that, I just thought he was a bit messed up. This is probably the first guy I'd stick around for just don't know how to let him know that I will without being too full on. I'm extremely socially awkward/inept by the way I just hide it well which is why I get so easily confused
Reply 6
You've presented the situation in such a way as any person can only draw one conclusion from the events. I don't understand why you posted this unless you aren't revealing the full story.

Maybe you feel bad because you don't actually want a serious relationship with him but you know he does, which is bad form to carry on treating him like that fyi. And you pretend to be in denial when you obviously know exactly what is going on otherwise you wouldn't have painted such a clear picture for the reader.
I just don't understand why he would say he didn't want anything serious :/ although to be fair he didn't really know me well at all after the first time.

Fear/nervousness. Society tells men they ought to behave in a certain way- e.g. a true 'man' doesn't display emotion or come across as sensitive. It's fairly obvious from the reason he broke up with his ex girlfriend that he is pretty emotionally sensitive; such things wouldn't bother a lot of guys. My guess would be he's terrified of seeming needy/desperate and facing rejection. Being rejected is never pleasant so you can't blame him for being protective against it.

Just a theory of course. You'll be able to see if it matches his personality and is actually right far better than I would.
Reply 8
Original post by Georgie_M
You've presented the situation in such a way as any person can only draw one conclusion from the events. I don't understand why you posted this unless you aren't revealing the full story.

Maybe you feel bad because you don't actually want a serious relationship with him but you know he does, which is bad form to carry on treating him like that fyi. And you pretend to be in denial when you obviously know exactly what is going on otherwise you wouldn't have painted such a clear picture for the reader.

I have presented the situation in a clear and concise way to allow people reading it to understand it easier. It sure helped me writing it rather than a large paragraph of information.

That is exactly what happened, this has been a months worth of interaction. I posted this because I have extreme difficulty understanding even small social situations and have no idea how people's emotions correlates to their behaviour. I take what people say literally I've been told I shouldn't do this and usually speak to my friends but I don't like telling people who know me things about myself so an anonymous post was a good option for me and it allows me to have a wider range of opinions.

I'm not sure I want a serious relationship full stop, I also have difficulty understanding my emotions. However I do think it would be good to see how it went with this guy as I said he's the only one I've thought I could wait around for in a long time.
Reply 9
Original post by jenkinsear
Fear/nervousness. Society tells men they ought to behave in a certain way- e.g. a true 'man' doesn't display emotion or come across as sensitive. It's fairly obvious from the reason he broke up with his ex girlfriend that he is pretty emotionally sensitive; such things wouldn't bother a lot of guys. My guess would be he's terrified of seeming needy/desperate and facing rejection. Being rejected is never pleasant so you can't blame him for being protective against it.

Just a theory of course. You'll be able to see if it matches his personality and is actually right far better than I would.

You're bang on with the rejection thing he told me he would do anything to avoid it. :/ can't really comment on the ex just from what he said which hasn't been much just he realised he just didn't care about her or anything she said it was a very detached sort of statement. Thank you your insight has been really helpful, maybe one day I'll understand people :L
Dunno, sounds like he's already decided he wants something relationshippy with you.

If you really need to know, then ask him in a simple conversation.

"What do you think this is between us? What do you want from it?".

let him say his piece then tell him where you stand.

It's pretty amateur to be so 'coupley' with a FwB, but maybe he is just like that (I don't see a harmless cuddle after sex for example as 'coupley' it's just something nice to do, but I try and not do it to avoid mixed messages).

Communication is key!
Reply 11
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Dunno, sounds like he's already decided he wants something relationshippy with you.

If you really need to know, then ask him in a simple conversation.

"What do you think this is between us? What do you want from it?".

let him say his piece then tell him where you stand.

It's pretty amateur to be so 'coupley' with a FwB, but maybe he is just like that (I don't see a harmless cuddle after sex for example as 'coupley' it's just something nice to do, but I try and not do it to avoid mixed messages).

Communication is key!

I couldn't ask that I will do anything to avoid an awkward situation. Yeah I think so too unless they tell you they just like to cuddle, either way I still find it weird but at least I wouldn't be confused

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending