MasonBateman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey, I am 18 years old and hopefully going to be at uni in September.

Ever since I have been at GCSE, my parents did not let me take the subjects I love such as Drama and Film Studies. I'm an academic person and I excel in Maths and Science, However, I have never been happy with what I am studying. I was basically forced to take Maths, Physics and Economics at A-Level and although I have offers from university to study Economics (Bristol and Manchester), I don't feel content with what my degree is going to lead me to in life. I have always wanted to be a professional actor or a director and I feel like I can't do that. When I think of the jobs after uni and studying economics I get really upset because deep down I am not happy! My parents think performing arts and media related subjects are a load if crap but I have a passion for it!

What do I do? Any advice will be appreciated.

Mason

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Firstly, I think you need to appreciate why your parents are rooting for you to go for a more 'respected' discipline. The sometimes difficult to swallow truth is that the majority of those who graduate with arts or media degrees unfortunately don't end up doing what they want. It is not difficult to appreciate that today even being a graduate will not go far in the world of work, and if the chances of success are so slim to begin with, then why risk many years and a lot of money pursuing something which probably won't materialize? A degree in Economics may circumvent this to some degree.

However, it is your life. If you feel you'll only be making yourself miserable by following your parents wishes and see no hope for the future then you should abandon Economics and pursue something which will make you 'happier'. But bare in mind, you might find yourself seriously regretting this decision later on in life.
MasonBateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hippysnake)
Firstly, I think you need to appreciate why your parents are rooting for you to go for a more 'respected' discipline. The sometimes difficult to swallow truth is that the majority of those who graduate with arts or media degrees unfortunately don't end up doing what they want. It is not difficult to appreciate that today even being a graduate will not go far in the world of work, and if the chances of success are so slim to begin with, then why risk many years and a lot of money pursuing something which probably won't materialize? A degree in Economics may circumvent this to some degree.

However, it is your life. If you feel you'll only be making yourself miserable by following your parents wishes and see no hope for the future then you should abandon Economics and pursue something which will make you 'happier'. But bare in mind, you might find yourself seriously regretting this decision later on in life.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I understand what your saying, and I guess maybe I need to appreciate why they push me in the academic subject area most.

On the other hand, I just can't imagine myself doing anything I will be happy with with an economics degree and in my opinion you have to love your job in order to be happy in life!

It's a tough one tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Etudiant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hope you can see that your parents care very deeply about your future, that is why they have pushed you academically. You can always do the Economics degree now, get a decent job and then go into Media once you are stable?
matt_g96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why don't you just join societies that are relevant to your passions? That, in my opinion, is the best way to enjoy what you love while working towards a degree.
Jonn_Snowed
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by matt_g96)
Why don't you just join societies that are relevant to your passions? That, in my opinion, is the best way to enjoy what you love while working towards a degree.
This Joe Thomas (Simon from inbetweeners) studied History at Cambridge. Although while there he was a member of a drama club. He graduated with a 2:1 so he had a good back up to fall back on now look where he is now?
username1221364
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tom Hiddleston studied Classics at Cambridge and acted while there. Then he went onto the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. It isn't always a bad idea to have a backup.
MasonBateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Coffeetime)
Tom Hiddleston studied Classics at Cambridge and acted while there. Then he went onto the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. It isn't always a bad idea to have a backup.
That really makes me feel better about my future and how I'm going to make the most of my degree and still do the things I love! I think I will definitely join a society or acting group at uni. Thanks for your advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gridiron-Gangster
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MasonBateman)

Ever since I have been at GCSE, my parents did not let me take the subjects I love such as Drama and Film Studies. I'm an academic person and I excel in Maths and Science, However, I have never been happy with what I am studying. I was basically forced to take Maths, Physics and Economics at A-Level and although I have offers from university to study Economics (Bristol and Manchester), I don't feel content with what my degree is going to lead me to in life. I have always wanted to be a professional actor or a director and I feel like I can't do that. When I think of the jobs after uni and studying economics I get really upset because deep down I am not happy! My parents think performing arts and media related subjects are a load if crap but I have a passion for it!

Mason

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can still get involved in acting and media etc on the side whilst you are studying Economics and Bristol and Manchester have great opportunities for that. That way and by graduating in Economics you have skills to get a job in that sector and possibly in acting or media. But if you do the media degree then you have left yourself with limited prospects.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Mason

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can be a professional actor/director with an economics degree but you can't be a professional economist with a film studies/drama degree!!!

You can take economics and peraue your interest in drama in your own time
username1221364
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That really makes me feel better about my future and how I'm going to make the most of my degree and still do the things I love! I think I will definitely join a society or acting group at uni. Thanks for your advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're welcome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
goldsmithsessay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey Mason, i'm a student currently going through a very similar situation that you've expressed in this post. If you get a chance could I ask you what you ended up doing in the end and any advice you could pass onto me before choosing my university subjects?
goldsmithsessay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Mason

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Mason, i'm a student currently going through a very similar situation that you've expressed in this post. If you get a chance could I ask you what you ended up doing in the end and any advice you could pass onto me before choosing my university subjects?

Many thanks Seraphine Tumbridge
mickaelaG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Go for what you love to do! This is a quote from a song I think it would help you "So on the last page of life written in gold

Don't waste it always doing what you're told"
Last edited by mickaelaG; 8 months ago
mickaelaG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
So on the last page of life written in gold

Don't waste it always doing what you're told
999tigger
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mickaelaG)
So on the last page of life written in gold

Don't waste it always doing what you're told
The thread is six years old. Dont bump old threads ta.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads