Applying as a gap year student = disadvantage?

Watch
achanont
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello, I would like to know is the entry level difficulty different when applying as a school student and as a gap year student. And what criterions do college usually use to assess their candidates whether to give them offers or not applying as a gap year student? Is the standard higher since gap year students have chances to retake their exams, and possibly gain more points?

I am doing the IB diploma and received a conditional offer for Math at King's college. However, I am not sure about what I want to do in the future yet, and I don't want to spend a lot of my parent's money if I know I am going to change my course in the future, so I am considering about taking a gap year, though I still worry about my chances of getting back into university the next year. Should I enroll in King's Math course or should I wait for a year to really discover my passion?
iamyourmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The university will give you an unconditional offer if you've already achieved your results
King’s College London
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi achanont,
This general information on deferrals might be useful to you, however if you are an offer holder we advise you to speak directly to the Admissions team for further guidance via the MyApplication portal where you submitted your application. Here is some general information for you:

Pre-application

King’s is happy to consider applicants who wish to take a year out to gain some specific experience or to broaden their interests. Our advice is to apply for your chosen programme in the final year of secondary or further education, indicate on your UCAS form that you will be deferring your entry, and then outline your plans in your personal statement.

You are of course very welcome to apply during your gap year after completing your studies if you wish, but do make sure that you can be contacted during this time especially if you are abroad. In particular, note that courses that interview may require you to attend an interview in person in London. You can find further advice on completing your UCAS application at www.ucas.com

Post-application

If you’ve already applied and you subsequently decide that you would like to defer your place, then you should send a request to King’s in writing (please do this in a message via your myApplication portal account if possible, but if not you may send this by email). In your message, please state clearly that you are requesting a deferral and provide a brief reason for this decision.

We are usually sympathetic to deferral requests on the first occasion, but we may be more restrictive if this is the second deferral that you have requested in a row.

Hope this helps!

Thx
Sabi
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.42%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.84%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.58%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (69)
26.95%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.36%

Watched Threads