sjbrighter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm a student in the postgraduate archaeology program at Sheffield. Ask me anything!
Caorann
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm in the process of choosing between Sheffield, Glasgow, and York for my masters. Can you tell me a bit about the atmosphere in the department, opportunities to volunteer for archaeological work, facilities, and if there's an active archaeology student society. I'm coming from Canada and while I'd love to visit in advance of deciding, it's just not feasible.

I had also heard that the department had lost a number of faculty - has that negatively affected things?

Any information you can offer would be great!
sjbrighter
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caorann)
I'm in the process of choosing between Sheffield, Glasgow, and York for my masters. Can you tell me a bit about the atmosphere in the department, opportunities to volunteer for archaeological work, facilities, and if there's an active archaeology student society. I'm coming from Canada and while I'd love to visit in advance of deciding, it's just not feasible.

I had also heard that the department had lost a number of faculty - has that negatively affected things?

Any information you can offer would be great!

Hiya!

I'll try to answer everything in order; the atmosphere is very welcoming, it is one of the first things that I noticed when I came here. There is actually a kind of reception office in the main archaeology building and there is absolutely no limit on how many newbie questions, directions to places, or general help, which was really useful for me. For example, I was able to get some guidance when I was dealing with my father's cancer during finals. They were pretty nice and have systems in place to accommodate every possible situation.
Another point is, all of the professors here kind of break down barriers and keep a relatively friendly relationship with their students. They expect you to call them by their first names and generally have an easy going attitude towards things, which is a contrast I noticed from my undergrad in the states.

The department itself is kind of an active student society, but again, there isn't a lot of separation in events between the entire department and students. For example, almost every week a professional lecture is given for everyone to attend, and often everybody (professors, postgrads, and undergrads) goes to the pub with the speaker afterward. As far as volunteering, every week there are tons of emails sent out to students for opportunities to volunteer or work (what I'm doing now is an example of it!), and in many cases, a few weeks of involvement in a career environment is required for graduating. For example, I'm working on displays in a local heritage museum during the summer.

In terms of loss of faculty, I haven't really felt any sense of losing out in my experience. In fact, I've never had so many different professors teaching within a class; most classes have a variety of lecturers depending on their expertise of the subject. I'm doing Medieval Archaeology in particular, by the way. If you tell me specifically which program you are going for, I can give you a more detailed run-down. I have a lot of friends in different parts of the department.
Caorann
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the detailed response - it's quite helpful. I've been accepted to the MA Archaeology program myself but I'm interested in the Medieval period. I wanted to go with a more general program that wouldn't be detrimental to finding work when I'm back home in Canada (not a lot of Medieval archaeology here ).

I'd initially looked at Sheffield because a number of my friends have attended and spoken highly of the program and their professors (which is why I became concerned in hearing that many of those well spoken of individuals had left).

Last few questions: Do I recall correctly that you're American (or maybe I'm thinking of someone else whose thread I was following)? If so, are you in halls or private accommodation? Any comments of the university accommodation? I'd like to find a good balance of quiet and mature roommates (I'm an older student, myself) with a moderate level of sociability (I don't want to study all the time but I'm also not a big rowdy party person - more a quiet pint and good conversation).

Thanks again!
sjbrighter
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caorann)
Thanks for the detailed response - it's quite helpful. I've been accepted to the MA Archaeology program myself but I'm interested in the Medieval period. I wanted to go with a more general program that wouldn't be detrimental to finding work when I'm back home in Canada (not a lot of Medieval archaeology here ).

I'd initially looked at Sheffield because a number of my friends have attended and spoken highly of the program and their professors (which is why I became concerned in hearing that many of those well spoken of individuals had left).

Last few questions: Do I recall correctly that you're American (or maybe I'm thinking of someone else whose thread I was following)? If so, are you in halls or private accommodation? Any comments of the university accommodation? I'd like to find a good balance of quiet and mature roommates (I'm an older student, myself) with a moderate level of sociability (I don't want to study all the time but I'm also not a big rowdy party person - more a quiet pint and good conversation).

Thanks again!

Hey! Yep, I'm from the U.S., Wisconsin specifically. I went for Student accommodation, however I would recommend private accommodation, both for price and for quietness. The only exception to this is if you want to live close to the city centre, in which case the cheapest accommodation in student. But, if you don't mind walking a little bit, it's worth it to get out into the more suburban areas; it's overall a quieter area, and again, cheaper. In the department, you will find almost everyone is for going to the pub for a pint and chatting, we especially enjoy going to the Pub quiz. I can guarantee that you will find the right mix sociability; in general, the partying is very occasional, as we are all pretty busy with school! I'm happy here, my only regret is living in the city centre, because I'm not used to living in a big city.
CRM Students
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sjbrighter)
Hey! Yep, I'm from the U.S., Wisconsin specifically. I went for Student accommodation, however I would recommend private accommodation, both for price and for quietness. The only exception to this is if you want to live close to the city centre, in which case the cheapest accommodation in student. But, if you don't mind walking a little bit, it's worth it to get out into the more suburban areas; it's overall a quieter area, and again, cheaper. In the department, you will find almost everyone is for going to the pub for a pint and chatting, we especially enjoy going to the Pub quiz. I can guarantee that you will find the right mix sociability; in general, the partying is very occasional, as we are all pretty busy with school! I'm happy here, my only regret is living in the city centre, because I'm not used to living in a big city.
Hey there!
I completely agree with you in terms of accommodations - private ones are always more secure, have better service and usually all bills are included!

Park Student Village is not in the centre, but not too far from it with houses set amongst 8 acres of landscaped lawns! And it's not a huge building with loads of rooms - there are loads of houses so you can live with your friends!Name:  f8bb6ef592.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  69.4 KB

http://www.crm-students.com/crm-acco...udent-village/ Have a look if you are interested!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.39%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.76%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.04%
I need help with my personal statement (56)
40.29%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.18%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.16%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.19%

Watched Threads