Just got 44% in essay worth 50% of module Watch

itneverends
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'm currently in my final year reading law and, after getting two firsts in other modules, have just received 44% in an essay that is worth 50% of the corresponding module. I need 65% overall this year to get into UCL to read for my LLM, is this now totally off the cards? I'm still ****ting myself a out my dissertation mark and am now feeling so, so, so low. I was planning on starting revision tomorrow and now I just feel empty.

Am I totally screwed?
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by itneverends)
So I'm currently in my final year reading law and, after getting two firsts in other modules, have just received 44% in an essay that is worth 50% of the corresponding module. I need 65% overall this year to get into UCL to read for my LLM, is this now totally off the cards? I'm still ****ting myself a out my dissertation mark and am now feeling so, so, so low. I was planning on starting revision tomorrow and now I just feel empty.

Am I totally screwed?
You need to average 86% for the remaining 50% of the module, it seems fairly unlikely.
itneverends
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
You need to average 86% for the remaining 50% of the module, it seems fairly unlikely.
If you read the post correctly, you'll see I need 65% across the year, not just in that one single module but thank you for your worthwhile contribution.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Am I totally screwed?
Just do the maths. If you need 65% overall, then work out approximately what you need to get in this module. Obviously it's not off the cards as you haven't messed up to the point where it becomes impossible to get the score you need.

If anything this should be motivating you to work harder.
xDave-
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I need 65% overall this year to get into UCL
It's not impossible to still get that, what are your other grades in final year? You said you have two firsts, so they'll help bring your grade up.

In this one you just got 44% in, well, you're going to have to pull off something spectacular to get that to average at something decent. But well, it's certainly possible. Say you get 74% in the other 50% for this module, that's 59% overall for it. If you take that 59, and we assume your two firsts are the lowest they can be (two 70s), then you'd average 66 from those 3 grades; that's more than the 65% you need!

So yeah, it can certainly be recovered, but you'll have to work hard. Well, unless your uni has specific requirements (e.g. you can't get a 2:1 if all your grades aren't at least 2:1s or something).
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you read the post correctly, you'll see I need 65% across the year, not just in that one single module but thank you for your worthwhile contribution.
I must've missed read. In that case, it's totally feasible. Just get consistent 70's, you'll have to step up your game. From now on.. University work > All else. The long-term benefits will be worthwhile.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's a useful little degree grade calculator here http://tab.co.uk/2014/03/07/how-screwed-am-i/
awe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In my course, if one of my modules is uncharacteristically low and brings the entire average down, it can be removed from the equation and I am graded on my consistent average rather than by an outlier. Perhaps your department has a similar system that isn't widely known?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%