Has modern society ****ed men over or Watch

Riku
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am getting frustrated and more alarmingly brainwashed by this cult of posters with such opinions and sweeping generalisations as:

-All women are *****es at heart

-Only alpha males get women-the leader of the pack

-Nice guys finish last; by nice guy that means anyone with a heart. Nice guys in the genuinie sense of the word, rather than nice as in desperate and manipulative

-When women say they want a nice guy they actually mean they want you to treat them like ****

-Life is **** for men unless you're a ******** so it makes sense actually to be a **** and have no morals, morals and conscience have no place in modern highly individualistic society

-This isn't only applicable for younger men (where I reckon such cynical claims are at least in part true) but most married women will eventually get bored/cheat/divorce as late as their mid to late 30s

I'm not even backing this up with any pseudo-evidence because they've done it all for me. It's just thread after thread of why feminism is a bad thing. In fact it's more than that; it's arguing that morality in itself is a bad thing. It's saying the only route to happiness in life as a man is success, power, control and status; the most obvious way to achieve this being through dominance in a relationship.

If such assumptions were true, every relationship would be a lie, every marriage would fail, every child would come from a broken home, etc. and I just don't see that?

Call me naive but I believe these men are quite bitter and frankly miserable about something?

Inb4 Riku's a whiteknight; please back up your objections with evidence.
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're right, it's a load of bitter miserable people taking out their frustrations on women instead of addressing their own crippling inadequacies
Riku
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
You're right, it's a load of bitter miserable people taking out their frustrations on women instead of addressing their own crippling inadequacies
I'm as equally frustrated as their very bleak view on society in general. They must be sooo uptight
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Riku)
I'm as equally frustrated as their very bleak view on society in general. They must be sooo uptight
I know, they're really unpleasant. Just ignore them, they just want attention
ManifoldManifest
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's a small number of vocal lolbertarian misogynists making a big splash at the moment. Time will pass, posting trends will change, they'll fade away. I don't think we can take them as indicative of society outside the weird niche of one part of one internet forum.
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think many people actually hold the beliefs you mention. If these are meant to be indicative of the anti-feminism threads on TSR then I think to be fair to them they are a misrepresentation.
Robbie242
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
oh no another thread

can we just stop discussing it? its boring now, people are just looking for attention
The Angry Stoic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Actually, high social expectations for and lots of social promises for men compounded by social pressure to maintain stoic and 'masculine' have led to poor mental health among men and very high suicide rates; or so many theories propose.
Riku
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Angry Stoic)
Actually, high social expectations for and lots of social promises for men compounded by social pressure to maintain stoic and 'masculine' have led to poor mental health among men and very high suicide rates; or so many theories propose.
Thoroughly agree; yet the solution is to promote an even more rigid conception of masculinity rather than address these damaging social pressures? That's what gets me goat
Riku
Rep:
?
(Original post by miser)
I don't think many people actually hold the beliefs you mention. If these are meant to be indicative of the anti-feminism threads on TSR then I think to be fair to them they are a misrepresentation.
I stuck to the bare bones with sweeping generalisations galore, there are some well-written objections to the misandric sub-movement of modern feminism, but what seems like a flood of outright misogynistic ones to balance that.
As I've said before I think there are sections which have swung too far in the opposite direction, but this misrepresents the feminist community as a whole. On an international scale, there's a lot more work to be done to secure women's rights and gender equality.
Riku
Rep:
?
(Original post by ManifoldManifest)
There's a small number of vocal lolbertarian misogynists making a big splash at the moment. Time will pass, posting trends will change, they'll fade away. I don't think we can take them as indicative of society outside the weird niche of one part of one internet forum.
They've been around since at least 2011 when I joined this site :/
xDave-
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hook, line, and sinker.
-Invidious-
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Riku)
Imo it's a backlash at the way western society has royally ****ed men over. This is just the ugly side of it coming out among disillusioned teens and young adults.
Riku
Rep:
?
(Original post by -Invidious-)
Imo it's a backlash at the way western society has royally ****ed men over. This is just the ugly side of it coming out among disillusioned teens and young adults.
I'll admit I'm a bit disillusioned having come from a divorced family but really how have men been so ****ed over?
Riku
Rep:
?
(Original post by Robbie242)
oh no another thread

can we just stop discussing it? its boring now, people are just looking for attention
erm do you mean these misogynistic threads or the 'why are there so many misogynistic threads?' threads like this?
Robbie242
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Riku)
erm do you mean these misogynistic threads or the 'why are there so many misogynistic threads?' threads like this?
Both.
Riku
Rep:
?
(Original post by Robbie242)
Both.
Fair dues
The Angry Stoic
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Riku)
Thoroughly agree; yet the solution is to promote an even more rigid conception of masculinity rather than address these damaging social pressures? That's what gets me goat
The solution is to allow men to express their masculinity as they choose. Let them know they don't have to conform to any preconceived idea of masculinity.
geoking
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
I think from what I've told you previously that there is a problem with modern young women - no interests, short sighted (look at degrees done) and an expectation for the man to entertain them, and never the other way around.
just a dad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Angry Stoic)
Taken from the Samaritans research paper on the topic:

Masculinity – the way men are brought up to behave and the roles, attributes and behaviours that society expects of them – contributes to suicide in men. Men compare themselves against a masculine ‘gold standard’ which prizes power, control and invincibility. When men believe they are not meeting this standard, they feel a sense of shame and defeat. Having a job and being able to provide for your family is central to ‘being a man’, particularly for working class men. Masculinity is associated with control, but when men are depressed or in crisis, they can feel out of control. This can propel some men towards suicidal behaviour as a way of regaining control. Men are more likely to use drugs or alcohol in response to distress.

http://www.samaritans.org/sites/defa...t%20210912.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (200)
19.23%
Labour (443)
42.6%
Liberal Democrats (201)
19.33%
Green Party (54)
5.19%
Brexit Party (27)
2.6%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.44%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)