The Student Room Group

Offer for Medical school

I have one offer for medicine at my last choice, sheffield, but my heart was set on going to london for uni. would it be really stupid of me to reject and reapply next year?
Reply 1
Original post by molly78
I have one offer for medicine at my last choice, sheffield, but my heart was set on going to london for uni. would it be really stupid of me to reject and reapply next year?

Well, I am an applicant for med school for the Sept 2014 intake. I received 6 rejections before getting one offer(I applied for two years now). If I were you, i would take a look at the applicant threads at any of the med schools on TSR, and see how nerve-wrecking it is to get into med school. Medicine, unlike other subjects, are one of those things where you are lucky to even get one offer. There are so few medical schools around, so few places, with outstanding candidates(talking about those selected for interview, where virtually everyone has A* at GCSEs, A* predictions at A levels, a high UKCAT, a high BMAT, extracirricular accomplishments) outnumbering the places by 3 to 1.

Trust me, where you graduate from will have almost no impact 10 or 20 years down the road. Visualise this: A patient is on the operating table about to undergo a major surgery, which would be performed by you. Do you really think he would care where you graduate from?

Unless of course, you want to take the risk of not being able to do medicine as an undergrad degree.

So to answer your question. I would not let go of the offer even if someone points a gun to my head.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by molly78

Yes, it really would - there are no guarantees whatsoever that you'll get a London offer if you were to reapply next year. Just how gutted would you feel if this time next year you were sitting at home with no offers when you could have been finishing off your first year of medical school?

Go to Sheffield with an open mind - by all accounts it's a great city to be a student in and once you get started you'll most likely have a great time :smile:
Reply 3
okay, thanks! i think i was just going through a bit of a breakdown :redface: i absolutely know how lucky i am to get even one offer but i have just dreamed of going to uni in london forever so i'm just really disappointed i don't get to go.
but nevertheless, i'm sure sheffield will be more than great!
Reply 4
Original post by molly78
okay, thanks! i think i was just going through a bit of a breakdown :redface: i absolutely know how lucky i am to get even one offer but i have just dreamed of going to uni in london forever so i'm just really disappointed i don't get to go.

Aim to excel in your degree and then apply to London deaneries for your foundation years. That way you get to fulfil your ambition of living in London, and motivate yourself through tough med school exams with that end goal in sight. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by molly78

You can always apply for foundation jobs in London if you really want to experience living there. And I strongly suspect that living in London is more fun with a bit more money.
Original post by molly78

Yes.

It does not matter which university you graduate from. You are offered a job solely on the basis of your grades at the end of uni.

Trust me. Go to Sheffield and then in 5 years time, you will realise how silly this dilemma is.
Reply 7
Original post by molly78

I don't think you should have applied to a school you don't want to go to. If you don't think you'll make it through the 5 years living in sheffield perhaps you should reconsider, but otherwise just take it, there has to be a reason you made sheffield your last choice and not the other 26 schools you could have picked.
Reply 8
Original post by ukmed108
I don't think you should have applied to a school you don't want to go to. If you don't think you'll make it through the 5 years living in sheffield perhaps you should reconsider, but otherwise just take it, there has to be a reason you made sheffield your last choice and not the other 26 schools you could have picked.

Thank you for all your advice! i do realise how stupid i must sound but i was just a bit worried because i picked sheffield as my fourth choice as the course was so good but i set my sights on living in london as i (cluelessly) applied to Kcl and imperial. And what you guys said about doing foundation years in london sounds good! I'll def look into that!
Reply 9
Medicine at Sheffield seems pretty awesome, if that makes you feel better. I'm trying to decide between Sheffield and Newcastle (have ruled out Glasgow) at the moment.
Reply 10
Original post by Gibber96
Medicine at Sheffield seems pretty awesome, if that makes you feel better. I'm trying to decide between Sheffield and Newcastle (have ruled out Glasgow) at the moment.

I agree. I had a choice between Bristol and Sheffield, chose Sheffield in the end. :biggrin: You'll have a blast of a time OP. :smile:
Reply 12
If you're really keen on London, perhaps you could defer your offer to next year and re-apply for medical schools in London. That way you still retain your offer, but you can have another go at London Unis. Although, you'll have to ask whether or not this is possible.
Reply 13
Original post by HaveFaith1
If you're really keen on London, perhaps you could defer your offer to next year and re-apply for medical schools in London. That way you still retain your offer, but you can have another go at London Unis. Although, you'll have to ask whether or not this is possible.

It isnt possible. She can't go through UCAS again whilst holding an offer.
Reply 14
London is a great city if you have money to spend, time to spend it in, and you don't live too far away from where things are happening. But I would never have wanted to be a student there because:
- As a student you'll have very little money;
- As a medical student you'll have very little time; and
- A lot of the London Universities' accommodation is a long way from the hub of the university.

Contrast that with Sheffield. It is a cheap city to live in as a student; and the halls of residence are in the immediate vicinity of the university.

Honestly OP, everyone I know who went to Sheffield absolutely loved it. You've lucked out! I bet you come back to this thread in a year's time and tell us how happy you are.
Reply 15
Original post by Crumpet1
London is a great city if you have money to spend, time to spend it in, and you don't live too far away from where things are happening. But I would never have wanted to be a student there because:
- As a student you'll have very little money;
- As a medical student you'll have very little time; and
- A lot of the London Universities' accommodation is a long way from the hub of the university.

Contrast that with Sheffield. It is a cheap city to live in as a student; and the halls of residence are in the immediate vicinity of the university.

Honestly OP, everyone I know who went to Sheffield absolutely loved it. You've lucked out! I bet you come back to this thread in a year's time and tell us how happy you are.

You're so right, i think i've over-romanticised the idea of living in london. Sheffield it is!
Reply 16
Good on you. Maybe get on to YouTube and see whether there are any good videos of Sheffield Uni to get you looking forward to it. Best of luck getting the grades you need.
Reply 17
Original post by molly78

Yep, reject your Sheffield offer, don't get any offers for medicine next year and spend the rest of your life regretting not studying medicine.
Reply 18
Original post by Crumpet1
Good on you. Maybe get on to YouTube and see whether there are any good videos of Sheffield Uni to get you looking forward to it. Best of luck getting the grades you need.

Ooh good idea! Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending