Advice for A Level Chemistry OCR (self-teaching)

Watch
emmaaa88
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi!

I'm sitting A Level Chemistry in the summer, AS and A2 under OCR A. I'm currently quite nervous and any advice anyone has for me of any sort, even if you didn't self-teaching, would be really appreciated. I've done the practicals already and done ok and have made notes already on most of it, but now I really want to consolidate what I've got. Having not been taught it has meant I have less general background understanding which is a bit difficult.

At the moment I have the Heinemann textbooks and the Calculations in AS/A Level Chemistry book. Also planning on doing all the past papers obviously.

Just any sort of recommendations about sorts of study you found helpful, whether particular websites/videos or methods or anything, would be really appreciated.

Thank you so much - I'd be really grateful for any response at all
cheeriosarenice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by emmaaa88)
Hi!

I'm sitting A Level Chemistry in the summer, AS and A2 under OCR A. I'm currently quite nervous and any advice anyone has for me of any sort, even if you didn't self-teaching, would be really appreciated. I've done the practicals already and done ok and have made notes already on most of it, but now I really want to consolidate what I've got. Having not been taught it has meant I have less general background understanding which is a bit difficult.

At the moment I have the Heinemann textbooks and the Calculations in AS/A Level Chemistry book. Also planning on doing all the past papers obviously.

Just any sort of recommendations about sorts of study you found helpful, whether particular websites/videos or methods or anything, would be really appreciated.

Is OCR A the easiest one? Or is it hard?
emmaaa88
Rep:
?
I don't know as it's the only board I've done.
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi!

ChemGuide is a really great online resource, it includes loads of information which should cover everything (and more) for your exam board, and has really good diagrams and explanations

I did OCR B, but I tutor someone doing OCR A and the content seems pretty similar, you just cover it in a different order and have slightly different coursework.

My main advice would be to do a few past papers, be really picky marking them - stick 100% to the markscheme even if it seems a bit harsh. Make notes where the markschemes tended to insist on particular words/ phrases/ information. If there are any topics you don't understand, read up on them in your textbook and using ChemGuide then do the relevant exercise from your textbook. If you want any more questions, google something like "enthalpy calculations A level worksheet" - you'll find that loads of schools/ other website put them + answers for free online - they may be for different exam boards, but if you run out of textbook questions to do they are another great resource to use.

If you have time, I would also really recommend writing up your notes from the textbook/ exercises onto small note cards and also creating quizes on notecards (write the question on one side - e.g. "what are the reaction conditions for hydrogenation of an alkene" and the answer on the other), you can use these to test yourself, get a parent or friend to test you, and have 'fun' revision quizes with friends... (yeah, me and my friends weren't the most exciting crowd during exam term... )

I hope this helps Any questions, feel free to ask
Jimmy20002012
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi!

Chemguide
Alevelchemistry-- ocr section
Knockhardy

Posted from TSR Mobile
emmaaa88
Rep:
?
(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
ChemGuide is a really great online resource, it includes loads of information which should cover everything (and more) for your exam board, and has really good diagrams and explanations

I did OCR B, but I tutor someone doing OCR A and the content seems pretty similar, you just cover it in a different order and have slightly different coursework.

My main advice would be to do a few past papers, be really picky marking them - stick 100% to the markscheme even if it seems a bit harsh. Make notes where the markschemes tended to insist on particular words/ phrases/ information. If there are any topics you don't understand, read up on them in your textbook and using ChemGuide then do the relevant exercise from your textbook. If you want any more questions, google something like "enthalpy calculations A level worksheet" - you'll find that loads of schools/ other website put them + answers for free online - they may be for different exam boards, but if you run out of textbook questions to do they are another great resource to use.

If you have time, I would also really recommend writing up your notes from the textbook/ exercises onto small note cards and also creating quizes on notecards (write the question on one side - e.g. "what are the reaction conditions for hydrogenation of an alkene" and the answer on the other), you can use these to test yourself, get a parent or friend to test you, and have 'fun' revision quizes with friends... (yeah, me and my friends weren't the most exciting crowd during exam term... )

I hope this helps Any questions, feel free to ask

(Original post by Jimmy20002012)
Chemguide
Alevelchemistry-- ocr section
Knockhardy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much to both of you! Really helpful, I'll definitely do as you say dragonkeeper
Sciencelove
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are also OCR revision notes at http://Chemrevise.org
NoraL
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
are the CGP books any good?
rich-gti
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NoraL)
are the CGP books any good?
for OCR "my revision notes" are good
Hi!

Would love to hear how you do/what you did for A2 as I have been self teaching OCR Biology/ AQA Geography As and attending Evening classes for OCR Chemistry but it looks like i'll have to do A2 myself as well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (659)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (838)
42.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.45%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed