The Student Room Group

Did Nigel Farage win your vote?

Following the recent "in/out" debates regarding our EU membership between Clegg and Farage, have you been convinced by UKIPs argument?

The majority of us can agree Clegg was decimated in the second debate on BBC 2 Wednesday, so have you lost belief in the top 3s argument for in?

Serious answers please and no far right extremism- that means Redferry is banned
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've said this on another thread, but I thought it would be relevant here too:

It kind of annoys me how people paint Farage as a good guy, trying to free us from some European evil. But people are just looking to blame someone for the economic mess, when it's ultimately everybody's fault. This is a recession, not a rebellion.

The only real problem with the EU is UK participation. We invest so much into it, yet we don't have the common sense to take advantage of it properly like Germany or Benelux do. We belong to one of the wealthiest organisations that wants to provide solutions for serious issues (like the environment, health and safety, agriculture, education). If we opened our eyes a bit more, Britain could really benefit from the EU.

Immigration is the only issue worth discussing with Farage, and even then European immigration is very good for the UK economy in the long run
(edited 9 years ago)
I've long been supportive of much of what UKIP says. I think leaving the political side of the EU while keeping a free trade agreement is a perfectly sensible way forward, so we get the economic benefits without the unacceptable loss of sovereignty that comes from closer political union. And I firmly believe we must control EU migration as we are an island with limited space and resources - the country is full up enough as it is.

Their EU debate probably won't win either side many votes on its own, as many people watching will already be strongly pro or anti EU, and the others who aren't yet decided probably won't decide because of one debate. What it'll hopefully do is get more people talking about the issues.

At one point I thought I would vote UKIP but I'm not sure I trust them on some environment issues, given that they are climate change deniers and have complained about emission regulations and wildlife protection measures like the habitats directive.
Reply 3
No, he's an illusionist, he's a big player in the city and has rich mates there = corruption.
Although he's a very persuasive speaker. The reality is removing ourselves from the EU would start a wave of economic instability/uncertainty. When businesses/consumers start getting worried, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
No, although he's a good speaker.
Reply 6
Even Lib Dem supporters said Farage won the debate, doesnt mean they will vote for him.

Some of the arguments made by the pro EU camp are stupid ie stopping ww3 and 3 million jobs depend on political union

But at the same time UKIP a coalition of thatcherites and blue collar enoch Powell supporters is the not the party to bring that change
Reply 7
Original post by james1211
No, he's an illusionist, he's a big player in the city and has rich mates there = corruption.

He is not a big player, i doubt he has assets over a million.
The EU is the most corrupt institution in the developed world
Reply 8
Original post by James222
He is not a big player, i doubt he has assets over a million.
The EU is the most corrupt institution in the developed world

He is an ex city banker. His personal wealth isn't the concern, it's his ties to the city. The power will corrupt him, most likely. Why do you say that about the EU?
No, he did not.

He's a global warming denier who things pulling out of Europe solves all of the UK's problems.

i.e. Moron.
Reply 10
No, but to be honest his best chance of winning my vote is to run me over and hope I get amnesia. I wouldn't say I've completely made my mind up of which party to support, but it's certainly not UKIP.
Reply 11
I wish the Green's had a larger representation, the only credible party as far as I can see...
Original post by james1211
He is an ex city banker. His personal wealth isn't the concern, it's his ties to the city. The power will corrupt him, most likely. Why do you say that about the EU?

he is not a banker he was a Trader. What ties to the City ? you really think farage is some big fish in the City ??? he would be a nobody if he wasnt leading UKIP. Personal Wealth is 100% a measure of influence and power in the City.

Which power will corrupt him ? political ? and it wont other politicians.

EU has massive salaries and budgets for it staff, regularly fails audits, uses taxpayers money to promote itself in the British Media, Toppled govt in Italy and Greece. Funds some very orwellian big brother programmes
If I decide to even vote then yes because he is the only party leader not offering to same rubbish as the main political establishment is.
Yes to national self determination , no to the EU superstate.
He doesn't have the faintest clue about economics or politics. Just a sensationalist moron with a large following of brainless chavs.

So no, he hasn't got my vote.
Original post by MASTER265
Following the recent "in/out" debates regarding our EU membership between Clegg and Farage, have you been convinced of UKIPs argument?

The majority of us can agree Clegg was decimated in the second interview on BBC 2 Wednesday, so have you lost belief in the top 3s argument for in?

Serious answers please and no far right extremism- that means Redferry is banned

Nope.

I would be a fool to vote for a party simply because their leader 'won me over'. I'd rather focus on UKIPs policies than their leader. So.... it's a no from me (quite simply, I don't like their policies :P).
The British exit from this institution has become inevitable, whether it happens by conscious choice or by natural drift as the continent consolidates further and Britain remains in place. The real discussion now should be on what terms we will leave; Farage would secure comparatively good ones, while Clegg would make us into an appendage, heavily under the influence of the EU but without most of the advantages.
Original post by Tom78
I wish the Green's had a larger representation, the only credible party as far as I can see...

Credible in which areas? On things like climate change I'd agree with you, but that's about it. Their other environment policies aren't actually that brilliant - their wildlife policies are influenced heavily by animal rights but influenced little by evidence, and are incompatible with a great deal of conservation work.
nigel farage has buried the EU issue - it's clear what the country wants - a referendum, now and not later
and that's regardless of whether people want to stay or not - a referendum is simply due on the question after so many undemocratically ratified treaties that make the original referendum seem unrecognisable in terms of the difference between 1972's EU (EEC) and 2014's EU (although I still think that people would be more willing to leave than reform, because reform isn't going to go nearly far enough to solve the problems the UK has with the EU)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RFowler
Credible in which areas? On things like climate change I'd agree with you, but that's about it. Their other environment policies aren't actually that brilliant - their wildlife policies are influenced heavily by animal rights but influenced little by evidence, and are incompatible with a great deal of conservation work.

A lot of people seem to like the Greens because of their overall placement on the political compass.

Taking all major policies into account they're actually the most left leaning (socially and financially) party who have any seats in the Commons.

Quick Reply

Latest