deano0417
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Heya, I am just writing as I have received offers from both UCL and Bristol yet I am unsure which to choose. I prefer Bristol as a city however I also know of the sort of links to law firms that London universities have.
My main problem is I simply do not think I would be able to afford living in London, can anyone offer me advice on this issue and on the universities as a whole?

PS - This is for straight law.
Unsworth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by deano0417)
Heya, I am just writing as I have received offers from both UCL and Bristol yet I am unsure which to choose. I prefer Bristol as a city however I also know of the sort of links to law firms that London universities have.
My main problem is I simply do not think I would be able to afford living in London, can anyone offer me advice on this issue and on the universities as a whole?

PS - This is for straight law.
Difficult choice. I was in a similar situation (straight law) where I was choosing between KCL, Durham and Bristol - I've ended up firming Durham and insuring Bristol, but ignoring my Durham offer, I would probably have still chosen to take up my unconditional at Bristol over my offer from Kings.

My reasons for choosing Bristol over Kings are mainly due to the fact that:

a) Socially I think I would have a more fun and enjoyable student experience at Bristol then at Kings. It is a lot more fragmented in London, I would prefer to be in a more intimate environment during university. In my opinion London is brilliant when you're a professional and have money, but as a student I think you do feel rather limited.

b) Cost. Everything in London is more expensive then anywhere else in the country. I would rather be living pretty close to my university when I move out of halls in second year then having to be living out in Zone 3 in London having to spend 20-30 minutes just getting to a lecture/the library/anywhere else. Transport in London is expensive too.

c) This may differ for you, but I am certain I will be coming back to London to work here after university and so it would be great to be able to enjoy 3 years in another city which in all likelihood I would never have spent more than a week in otherwise. I wouldn't really say this is a compelling reason to not go to a university in London, but it's something which often people identify with.

The most important reason for me was a) - the fact that I think I will just have a far more enjoyable university experience outside of London.

There is no denying that UCL does have a slightly better reputation than Bristol and that London of course presents great opportunities, but the difference here won't impact your future prospects. Bristol has a fantastic reputation and gets all of the large law firms visiting and holding events there, so there will be plenty of opportunities for you still.

Obviously I know you are deciding between UCL and Bristol rather than KCL, but there are barely any differences between UCL/KCL and my comparisons hold true to both.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (291)
65.54%
No (153)
34.46%

Watched Threads