The Student Room Group

Help!!

What combination should I do for my a levels physics, maths and economics or biology maths and economics? Just wondering what you think would benefit me more as I don't mind which of the two I do and also anyone got any ideas for a 4th as that isn't going to be time consuming.
Do all four?
Original post by Largeelephant12
What combination should I do for my a levels physics, maths and economics or biology maths and economics? Just wondering what you think would benefit me more as I don't mind which of the two I do and also anyone got any ideas for a 4th as that isn't going to be time consuming.

Do you have any idea what you'd like to study at university? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Depends what you want to study!

Doing maths/physics/economics would obviously be very maths based, so unless you want to do physics/engineering (in which case further maths would be good) then I'd choose biology. Though preferably you could do all 4, so long as you put the work in should be fine :smile:
Original post by Changing Skies
Do you have any idea what you'd like to study at university? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, that's the problem!:/
Original post by acciolucy
Depends what you want to study!

Doing maths/physics/economics would obviously be very maths based, so unless you want to do physics/engineering (in which case further maths would be good) then I'd choose biology. Though preferably you could do all 4, so long as you put the work in should be fine :smile:

I'm not sure what I want to do though, that's the problem! Which one would open up more doors/ is more respected out of physics and bio?
Reply 6
I'm not sure what I want to do though, that's the problem! Which one would open up more doors/ is more respected out of physics and bio?

As I said, doing both would massively help you especially since you're not decided on a 4th. Physics would fit with the others well, but somewhat limit you. Biology would give you a wide range of choice but exclude things like engineering.

I would say though, only take biology if you really enjoy it at GCSE. There is a lot of content and you can't really cram the night before, you have to have a good understanding of the basics and how everything links together to get a decent grade, meaning quite a few people hated it at AS and failed as a result or dropped it. If you enjoy it now you will probably quite like it (I do!)

Have you thought about chemistry? I didn't like it at GCSE but love it at A level, it would tie in well with the other subjects and really isn't that difficult so long as you put the work in.

I suggest - maths, economics, chemistry, then either physics or bio

Physics will open more doors in areas related to physical sciences - physics and engineering etc. It'd also be beneficial when applying for things such as maths and economics.
Biology will open doors in terms of biological sciences - biology, pharmacology, neuroscience etc.

However, chemistry might often be needed for some of the physical sciences/biological sciences alongside physics and maths or biology and maths so that's another one to look out for!

Both are equally respected as they're classed as facilitating subjects. I'd recommend looking more into what interests you and what degrees require what subjects. Even if you don't have an exact idea of a degree, it'll give you an idea of ideal subject combinations for a certain subject area.
Original post by smozsolution
Physics will open more doors in areas related to physical sciences - physics and engineering etc. It'd also be beneficial when applying for things such as maths and economics.
Biology will open doors in terms of biological sciences - biology, pharmacology, neuroscience etc.

However, chemistry might often be needed for some of the physical sciences/biological sciences alongside physics and maths or biology and maths so that's another one to look out for!

Both are equally respected as they're classed as facilitating subjects. I'd recommend looking more into what interests you and what degrees require what subjects. Even if you don't have an exact idea of a degree, it'll give you an idea of ideal subject combinations for a certain subject area.

I think I'd enjoy bio more than physics. What doors would be open with bio, maths and economics and then a 4th (undecided)
I think I'd enjoy bio more than physics. What doors would be open with bio, maths and economics and then a 4th (undecided)

Some science courses, some like psychology (with maths and biology) and maybe even economics. For your fourth I'd recommend another humanity like History or English Lit or even Chemistry (it goes well with biology) but it entirely depends on what you're leaning towards more in term of degree subjects, either an arts/humanities or science degree.

Quick Reply

Latest