The Student Room Group

fashion buying students!

Interested in a degree in Fashion Buying, considering Westminster, Manchester Metropolitan and Southampton Solent University. Any past students that have any advice?
Reply 1
I've got an offer for Southampton Solent for Fashion Buying and Merchandising and I think it's a brand new course.

I have friends doing other fashion courses at the university though and they said it's amazing - they get really great industry links and the university is very good at creative courses.
Reply 2
Original post by kcsmith
I've got an offer for Southampton Solent for Fashion Buying and Merchandising and I think it's a brand new course.

I have friends doing other fashion courses at the university though and they said it's amazing - they get really great industry links and the university is very good at creative courses.

thanks! What subjects did you do at A-level/BTEC?
Reply 3
Original post by Beej96
thanks! What subjects did you do at A-level/BTEC?

I did Chemistry, Geology and Psychology at A-Level - completely irrelevant to Buying and Merchandising but I had no idea what I wanted to do and I guess it gave me the points so it's alright.
Then I did a Fashion Retail diploma afterwards.

What stage are you at now? Are you doing A-Levels already?
Reply 4
Original post by kcsmith
I did Chemistry, Geology and Psychology at A-Level - completely irrelevant to Buying and Merchandising but I had no idea what I wanted to do and I guess it gave me the points so it's alright.
Then I did a Fashion Retail diploma afterwards.

What stage are you at now? Are you doing A-Levels already?

I'm in year 12 doing Art Textiles, Business Studies, Psychology and English Language. Not sure what to drop next year, but if I do drop one we have to do an enrichment so I might just carry with all of them. Is it around 280 UCAS points for Southampton? Did you have any experience in retail?
Reply 5
Original post by Beej96
I'm in year 12 doing Art Textiles, Business Studies, Psychology and English Language. Not sure what to drop next year, but if I do drop one we have to do an enrichment so I might just carry with all of them. Is it around 280 UCAS points for Southampton? Did you have any experience in retail?

Sorry this reply took so long, been busy with projects!

I think it's 220 this year but I'm not entirely sure. And yes, I work in a department store on the womenswear department. I think wherever you go they like you to have retail experience so you know the basics of the environment :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by kcsmith
Sorry this reply took so long, been busy with projects!

I think it's 220 this year but I'm not entirely sure. And yes, I work in a department store on the womenswear department. I think wherever you go they like you to have retail experience so you know the basics of the environment :smile:

It's fine! Thanks, please keep me updated on your experience at Uni if you can it would be much appreciated. I think I am going to book my open day place now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending