Don't know which degree to do?

Watch this thread
BaudelaireLucky
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I want to go into journalism/media but I want to do a degree in another subject first rather than a degree in journalism.
My passion is english language (which is why I want to do journalism) but I don't know if maybe I'd be better off doing english literature at uni because it's more respected.
I would also like to do either history or politics as either a minor in a major/minor route, or as dual honours with english, as I think this would help me open up more opportunities within journalism and media.

I'm considering degrees in:
-english language and literature
-english (combined) and politics
-english literature and politics
-english literature and history

What's the best option (in your opinion)? It's difficult to find courses wof combined english language and literature which I can also combine with politics (it's mostly literature and politics)
Should I stick with english language?
Or should I just go for literature and combine it with history/politics?
moggington
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BaudelaireLucky)
I want to go into journalism/media but I want to do a degree in another subject first rather than a degree in journalism.
My passion is english language (which is why I want to do journalism) but I don't know if maybe I'd be better off doing english literature at uni because it's more respected.
I would also like to do either history or politics as either a minor in a major/minor route, or as dual honours with english, as I think this would help me open up more opportunities within journalism and media.

I'm considering degrees in:
-english language and literature
-english (combined) and politics
-english literature and politics
-english literature and history

What's the best option (in your opinion)? It's difficult to find courses wof combined english language and literature which I can also combine with politics (it's mostly literature and politics)
Should I stick with english language?
Or should I just go for literature and combine it with history/politics?
A friend of mine is combining English Language and Politics, a few universities like Aston, Keele and Oxford Brookes are offering it but I'm not sure if they offer the same at RG universities.

You can pretty much get into media with any sort of degree. Both of my parents have worked in the industry (admittedly not in journalism) for 30+ years, my mum doesn't have a degree and my dad's got one in Marketing. That being said, it's an increasingly popular route to go down and so keeping your interests closely related (through studying something like English, Politics is very relevant too) as well as contributing to the magazine/newspaper of your Student's Union will make job applications stand out.

Literature tends to be more respected, but go with what you enjoy most. It may also be worth having a look at the Flexible Combined Honours programmes at Exeter and Durham. I'm pretty sure a few other universities do them too but you can essentially do majors and minors and customise your own degree course, but it's probably worth bearing in mind that this method is incredibly popular!

Have a look at these people too - http://www.nctj.com

Hope this helped!
BaudelaireLucky
Rep:
(Original post by moggington)
A friend of mine is combining English Language and Politics, a few universities like Aston, Keele and Oxford Brookes are offering it but I'm not sure if they offer the same at RG universities.

You can pretty much get into media with any sort of degree. Both of my parents have worked in the industry (admittedly not in journalism) for 30+ years, my mum doesn't have a degree and my dad's got one in Marketing. That being said, it's an increasingly popular route to go down and so keeping your interests closely related (through studying something like English, Politics is very relevant too) as well as contributing to the magazine/newspaper of your Student's Union will make job applications stand out.

Literature tends to be more respected, but go with what you enjoy most. It may also be worth having a look at the Flexible Combined Honours programmes at Exeter and Durham. I'm pretty sure a few other universities do them too but you can essentially do majors and minors and customise your own degree course, but it's probably worth bearing in mind that this method is incredibly popular!

Have a look at these people too - http://www.nctj.com

Hope this helped!
Thanks! I'm looking into combined honours at Newcastle, Liverpool and Lancasater
If I do English (combined) and Politics do you think it would be more helpful to do 50:50 in english and politics or to do major/minor and major in english and minor in politics?
moggington
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BaudelaireLucky)
Thanks! I'm looking into combined honours at Newcastle, Liverpool and Lancasater
If I do English (combined) and Politics do you think it would be more helpful to do 50:50 in english and politics or to do major/minor and major in english and minor in politics?
The 50:50 split is more ideal and makes you more employable in the future, particularly if you were to change your mind about Journalism, for example.
BaudelaireLucky
Rep:
(Original post by moggington)
The 50:50 split is more ideal and makes you more employable in the future, particularly if you were to change your mind about Journalism, for example.
Okay thanks for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (64)
15.76%
The paper was reasonable (199)
49.01%
Not feeling great about that exam... (101)
24.88%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.34%

Watched Threads