The Student Room Group

Grade thresholds HELPPP!!!!

somebody told me that the grade thresholds for people giving all of the 5 alevels papers in one go are different as compared to those that give it over the course of two years for example. can anyone confirm if its true?
Reply 1
Original post by Bismahassan
somebody told me that the grade thresholds for people giving all of the 5 alevels papers in one go are different as compared to those that give it over the course of two years for example. can anyone confirm if its true?

This statement completely depends on how you interpret it. In terms of UMS, no, it's standardised, so all grade boundaries are the same by definition. However, in raw marks, this may be the case. Someone who say Unit 1 in Year 12 may have needed 36/50 for an A. If someone then sat unit 1 in Year 13, the grade boundaries may change so that 40/50 was an A. Therefore, yes, someone sitting the exams over 2 years may indeed have different grade boundaries than someone who sat the entire A-level in year 13 by virtue of the different exam seasons. However, as I say, there's no UMS bias for or against either of the proposed options.

Quick Reply

Latest