GCSE options Watch

username1397980
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have just finished choosing my options and I was wondering whether it is important to choose a humanities subject as this altered my choices quite a bit, and also if the English Baccalaureate has any meaning, as this affected my choices also.
Thanks
Lasershark
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dogdogdog)
I have just finished choosing my options and I was wondering whether it is important to choose a humanities subject as this altered my choices quite a bit, and also if the English Baccalaureate has any meaning, as this affected my choices also.
Thanks
For now, the English Bac doesn't mean anything apart from statistics for schools, but who knows if it will mean something by the time you apply to university. Universities might want an averaged grade in the Bac across Bac subjects in the future, or say something like they want applicants with a well-rounded GCSE profile, to include the Bac. UCL already state that it's compulsory to have a foreign language at GCSE for their entry.

What subjects have you chosen? Nobody knows what universities will want in a few years' time, but if I were you, I'd cover all the possible bases.
username1397980
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lasershark)
For now, the English Bac doesn't mean anything apart from statistics for schools, but who knows if it will mean something by the time you apply to university. Universities might want an averaged grade in the Bac across Bac subjects in the future, or say something like they want applicants with a well-rounded GCSE profile, to include the Bac.

What subjects have you chosen? Nobody knows what universities will want in a few years' time, but if I were you, I'd cover all the possible bases.
I went with Spanish, History, Art and Design and RS. I am also doing Astronomy currently with the exam in June and I am hoping to also take Classical Civilizations next year as and extra also.

Are these good choices? It was very tough for me between History/Geography/Media
Lasershark
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I went with Spanish, History, Art and Design and RS. I am also doing Astronomy currently with the exam in June and I am hoping to also take Classical Civilizations next year as and extra also.

Are these good choices? It was very tough for me between History/Geography/Media
Well History is part of the Bac, so your Bac will be Maths, English, History, Spanish and two sciences. Keep History, as Media will not count towards the Bac and can be seen as an easier subject. History is a great subject to have at GCSE; it made me so much more aware of the world, and gave me a lot of specific and general knowledge.
username1397980
Rep:
?
Well History is part of the Bac, so your Bac will be Maths, English, History, Spanish and two sciences. Keep History, as Media will not count towards the Bac and can be seen as an easier subject. History is a great subject to have at GCSE; it made me so much more aware of the world, and gave me a lot of specific and general knowledge.
I forgot to put I am doing separate sciences. Are these well regarded subjects? I found it quite hard to pick between creative subjects that I enjoy and academic subjects that I am a lot better at and are well regarded, but I do not enjoy as much. I am slightly regretting choosing History over Geography. Thanks for the answers
Lasershark
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I forgot to put I am doing separate sciences. Are these well regarded subjects? I found it quite hard to pick between creative subjects that I enjoy and academic subjects that I am a lot better at and are well regarded, but I do not enjoy as much. I am slightly regretting choosing History over Geography. Thanks for the answers
Yes, the separate sciences are very well regarded subjects, and your best two will count towards the Bac. If you get the same grade in all three, I think the school just chooses which two to use.

I didn't do Geography GCSE but I did Geography A-Level, and again I learned so much from it. If you're regretting your choice, switch to geography; it depends whether you're more interested in past or current events. Again, geography will give you loads of specific and general knowledge
username1397980
Rep:
?
Yes, the separate sciences are very well regarded subjects, and your best two will count towards the Bac. If you get the same grade in all three, I think the school just chooses which two to use.

I didn't do Geography GCSE but I did Geography A-Level, and again I learned so much from it. If you're regretting your choice, switch to geography; it depends whether you're more interested in past or current events. Again, geography will give you loads of specific and general knowledge
Thanks, this is really helpful May I ask which subjects you chose for your GCSEs and what they were like etc.?
Lasershark
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks, this is really helpful May I ask which subjects you chose for your GCSEs and what they were like etc.?
I chose separate sciences, History, Spanish, Economics and RS. The sciences were hard, but definitely worth it, as they gave me more grounding for A-Level Biology than double science would have. I found the equations in chemistry especially hard, but it was worth doing, and if you want to do science A-Levels, the extra knowledge really helps. History was interesting; I did both the world wars, Stalin's Russia and other parts of Russian history, which was great to learn about as it made me so much more aware of the past and how it impacts on the present. It was very time consuming though, as there is so much to learn, especially dates of events.

Spanish was quite nice, as the tenses seemed easier to grasp than the French ones I saw other people learning. Economics was again interesting, but got a bit tedious sometimes as there was so much writing involved. RS was boring mostly, but I chose it because I wanted the full GCSE in it, not just the half course most of the year were doing. I did learn some things like bits about the history of Islam, but on the whole it was pretty boring.

It does shock me how much some people's general knowledge is lacking because of the choices they made at GCSE. Some people have never been exposed to having to learn other languages and having to learn about past/current events. Your subjects will give you a good mix of knowledge
username1397980
Rep:
?
I chose separate sciences, History, Spanish, Economics and RS. The sciences were hard, but definitely worth it, as they gave me more grounding for A-Level Biology than double science would have. I found the equations in chemistry especially hard, but it was worth doing, and if you want to do science A-Levels, the extra knowledge really helps. History was interesting; I did both the world wars, Stalin's Russia and other parts of Russian history, which was great to learn about as it made me so much more aware of the past and how it impacts on the present. It was very time consuming though, as there is so much to learn, especially dates of events.

Spanish was quite nice, as the tenses seemed easier to grasp than the French ones I saw other people learning. Economics was again interesting, but got a bit tedious sometimes as there was so much writing involved. RS was boring mostly, but I chose it because I wanted the full GCSE in it, not just the half course most of the year were doing. I did learn some things like bits about the history of Islam, but on the whole it was pretty boring.

It does shock me how much some people's general knowledge is lacking because of the choices they made at GCSE. Some people have never been exposed to having to learn other languages and having to learn about past/current events. Your subjects will give you a good mix of knowledge
I just found the syllabus' for the subjects I have chosen, we were given them by the school. For history I will be doing America in the 1920s and the Depression. The coursework will be on Germany between 1918-1945. Then a British Depth Study: 1939-1975. And finally the last unit will be International Relations 1945-1973 and the Cold War. Two exams the first on America and International Relations, second on British Depth Study. Is the syllabus the same throughout the country? I have no knowledge on this kind of stuff :/

For RS we'll be 2 units with 4 sections each
Unit 1:
-Believing in God and philosophy
-Matters of Life and Death
-Marriage and the Family; homosexuality, contraception, divorce etc.
-Community Cohesion

Unit 2:
-Rights and Responsibilities
-Environmental and Medical issues; genetic engineering, transplant surgery etc.
-Peace and Conflict
-Crime and Punishment
I have been told the last unit is a lot of ethics which sounds interesting. Is this similar to what you studied for these subjects? I'm guessing that my Spanish course will be very similar to yours as there is only so much variety you can have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.29%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.89%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.07%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.51%
No (255)
71.23%

Watched Threads