Semc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me out in understanding le Chatelier's principle in relation to equilibrium changes for temperature, concentration and pressure using equations. I'm with AQA doing AS chemistry btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
jamez870
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm also on this course, what do you need help with specifically?
Abbieastoria
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Basically Le chateliers principle says that whatever changes is applied to the equation the equilibrium will shift to counteract this change and restore order to the reaction.

so if temp increases equilibrium will shift to the direction that has an endothermic reaction.

if concentration of a substance increases equilibrium will shift to reduce this concentration.

if pressure increases the equilibrium will shift to the side of the equation which has the least amount of moles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Frank the Tankk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, a reaction in equilibrium will work against your change by shifting the position of equilibrium.

So, say you have a reversible reaction A + B = C + D and the forward reaction is exothermic (and thus the reverse being endothermic).

if you increase the temperature of the reaction you will create more A + B (as the reverse is endothermic) and so the reaction moves to achieve equilibrium byreleasing more energy in the forward reaction to reduce the temperature (and this reducing your change). Therefore, the position of equilibrium has shifted left by creating a change on the right.
Scorlibran
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Semc)
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me out in understanding le Chatelier's principle in relation to equilibrium changes for temperature, concentration and pressure using equations. I'm with AQA doing AS chemistry btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here is a good explanation http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/...hange.html#top, if you need any extra help just ask.
Semc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thank you so much guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (192)
5.04%
Uncertainty around my education (555)
14.57%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (426)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (524)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (189)
4.96%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (228)
5.99%
Loneliness (319)
8.38%
Financial worries (141)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (149)
3.91%
Exposure to negative news/social media (170)
4.46%
Lack of real life entertainment (217)
5.7%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (341)
8.95%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (357)
9.38%

Watched Threads