Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Title summarises question..

Where I'm At:
Bristol better course
Bristol closer (to cardiff)
Bristol better international reputation (30th in QS rankings vs York 114)
Bristol a better student city

York a campus uni (advantage??)
York more highly ranked for English
York more highly ranked for Arts & Humanities (40th vs Bristol 56th, QS rankings)
York cheaper

Has anyone had to make this decision/been to both? :confused:
FlyHigh_er
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would definitely say go to the uni you prefer, they're both really good unis. Rankings and things like that change all the time so they are unreliable and frankly irrelevant. I had the same choice between Bristol and Manchester, the price was the only thing that was going against Bristol, other than that i didn't prefer either, but just thought i would enjoy the course more at Bristol, so if you think the course is better at Bristol, then I'd say go for that. And anyway, Bristol is all clumped together in one area, so even though it's a city uni, its not very spread out, and it's lovely there. Have you visited them? It would help you make your decision. I haven't visited York though.

(Original post by yahp)
Title summarises question..

Where I'm At:
Bristol better course
Bristol closer (to cardiff)
Bristol better international reputation (30th in QS rankings vs York 114)
Bristol a better student city

York a campus uni (advantage??)
York more highly ranked for English
York more highly ranked for Arts & Humanities (40th vs Bristol 56th, QS rankings)
York cheaper

Has anyone had to make this decision/been to both? :confused:
yahp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by FlyHigh_er)
I would definitely say go to the uni you prefer, they're both really good unis. Rankings and things like that change all the time so they are unreliable and frankly irrelevant. I had the same choice between Bristol and Manchester, the price was the only thing that was going against Bristol, other than that i didn't prefer either, but just thought i would enjoy the course more at Bristol, so if you think the course is better at Bristol, then I'd say go for that. And anyway, Bristol is all clumped together in one area, so even though it's a city uni, its not very spread out, and it's lovely there. Have you visited them? It would help you make your decision. I haven't visited York though.
thank you! that's very helpful. I've been to York as a place and it's nice, and i went to a bristol open day but didn't get the chance to see much of the uni or accommodation. I emailed a tutor at LSE, because that's where I plan to do an MA in a course with a long name, to see if course content matters significantly when applying - if it does then I'll probably go to Bristol.
FlyHigh_er
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yahp)
thank you! that's very helpful. I've been to York as a place and it's nice, and i went to a bristol open day but didn't get the chance to see much of the uni or accommodation. I emailed a tutor at LSE, because that's where I plan to do an MA in a course with a long name, to see if course content matters significantly when applying - if it does then I'll probably go to Bristol.
I didn't get taken around the uni as well, we only went to see one accommodation and around our dept, but I think those are the bits that are important. If you prefer the course the whole experience will be better for you I think than if you don't. Also the modules could affect what you become interested in or pursue in the future and I'm sure to go to LSE what will matter most is your degree classification and the reputation of the uni, they will understand that unis have different modules etc. but defo wait til they reply.

Aside from that, I think you just have to go with one. I visited Bristol on a Wednesday in feb and then made a decision on the Saturday.

I'm trying not to be biased because I'll be going Bristol in sept, and because york actually looks lovely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exodecai
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It does sound like you'll enjoy Bristol more than York. Going by the OP alone I'd say you'll enjoy Bristol more based on the eight points you've made. If you're unsure of Bristol's department view the English section of their website if you haven't already and see if there is anything of help like photos. Try Youtube possibly too. I found alot more footage of my uni of choice's dept (Sheffield) on Youtube than on its website.

More advice if you want it:
Spoiler:
Show
For me, what finally sealed Sheffield was what I would say to justify going to York over Sheffield as my firm. It was just league table lark, increasing UK & world reputation and the more recent facilities. That's when I decided that the battle had been lost with York because there was nothing really non-academic/future in my reasoning for it, and 4 years is a long time to be potentially miserable simply because of a choice over simple figures.

So try justifying why you'd firm York over Bristol. Decide, or let someone else decide, whether it's "reasonable" - if it's literally just about figures like league tables, then probably forget York.
From CUG, there's not a massive difference in league table data anyway, the main important difference is the Research that York does (3.15 over 2.85).

Something else I did;
I did a pro/cons table a few weeks ago and weighed each separate point as a tariff (1 to 5 for pros, -1 to -5 on cons, +/-5 being wonderful/disasterous) and it supported Chemistry at Sheffield much more than at York.
I considered alot more than just the course and league tables too:
Gut feelings of the two unis and how you felt when you visited, number of societies of interest and bits of uni you will want to be involved in (SU nightclubs?),
2nd year onwards private accommodation and the costs, what you don't or won't like at each uni for >3 years eg bus travel from private accommodation, local shops and activities around eg Laserquest,
also the more basic things like faculty facilities, accommodation wifi, IT facilities and study spaces compared to the number of students; basically ANYTHING I could think of that was important for me to study and live happily.

At the end I added the tariffs up.

Really sorry for the potential wall of text, hope this helps. It certainly helped me aid my decision and supported my original mindset.
yahp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I didn't get taken around the uni as well, we only went to see one accommodation and around our dept, but I think those are the bits that are important. If you prefer the course the whole experience will be better for you I think than if you don't. Also the modules could affect what you become interested in or pursue in the future and I'm sure to go to LSE what will matter most is your degree classification and the reputation of the uni, they will understand that unis have different modules etc. but defo wait til they reply.

Aside from that, I think you just have to go with one. I visited Bristol on a Wednesday in feb and then made a decision on the Saturday.

I'm trying not to be biased because I'll be going Bristol in sept, and because york actually looks lovely.
Thank you! I think I'm pretty much set on Bristol now. LSE guy got back to me and said that course content matters slightly but not that much. Still, Bristol's course interests me much more than York's does. Appreciate your help.
yahp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exodecai)
It does sound like you'll enjoy Bristol more than York. Going by the OP alone I'd say you'll enjoy Bristol more based on the eight points you've made. If you're unsure of Bristol's department view the English section of their website if you haven't already and see if there is anything of help like photos. Try Youtube possibly too. I found alot more footage of my uni of choice's dept (Sheffield) on Youtube than on its website.

More advice if you want it:
Spoiler:
Show
For me, what finally sealed Sheffield was what I would say to justify going to York over Sheffield as my firm. It was just league table lark, increasing UK & world reputation and the more recent facilities. That's when I decided that the battle had been lost with York because there was nothing really non-academic/future in my reasoning for it, and 4 years is a long time to be potentially miserable simply because of a choice over simple figures.

So try justifying why you'd firm York over Bristol. Decide, or let someone else decide, whether it's "reasonable" - if it's literally just about figures like league tables, then probably forget York.
From CUG, there's not a massive difference in league table data anyway, the main important difference is the Research that York does (3.15 over 2.85).

Something else I did;
I did a pro/cons table a few weeks ago and weighed each separate point as a tariff (1 to 5 for pros, -1 to -5 on cons, +/-5 being wonderful/disasterous) and it supported Chemistry at Sheffield much more than at York.
I considered alot more than just the course and league tables too:
Gut feelings of the two unis and how you felt when you visited, number of societies of interest and bits of uni you will want to be involved in (SU nightclubs?),
2nd year onwards private accommodation and the costs, what you don't or won't like at each uni for >3 years eg bus travel from private accommodation, local shops and activities around eg Laserquest,
also the more basic things like faculty facilities, accommodation wifi, IT facilities and study spaces compared to the number of students; basically ANYTHING I could think of that was important for me to study and live happily.

At the end I added the tariffs up.

Really sorry for the potential wall of text, hope this helps. It certainly helped me aid my decision and supported my original mindset.
Very helpful! Just did the pros/cons table and Bristol came out on top. The course at bristol has kinda sealed it; only 10 people on it so good tuition and more module choice than York. Thanks again :awesome:
FlyHigh_er
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yahp)
Thank you! I think I'm pretty much set on Bristol now. LSE guy got back to me and said that course content matters slightly but not that much. Still, Bristol's course interests me much more than York's does. Appreciate your help.
Cool, see you in sept then! Have you joined the firmers thread in TSR and the Facebook page?

Posted from TSR Mobile
yahp
Rep:
?
Cool, see you in sept then! Have you joined the firmers thread in TSR and the Facebook page?

Posted from TSR Mobile
indeed! Haven't firmed yet but will do so today/tomorrow (swamped in coursework).
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone still dithering about Firm/Insurance choices etc - read this :

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices
FlyHigh_er
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yahp)
indeed! Haven't firmed yet but will do so today/tomorrow (swamped in coursework).
Cool, how many exams coming up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
yahp
Rep:
?
Cool, how many exams coming up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
5 in June which i need to revise for.. but mainly two 4000 word courseworks which were due in for Wednesday and I haven't done.. lul.

Just joined firmers group on facebook
FlyHigh_er
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yahp)
5 in June which i need to revise for.. but mainly two 4000 word courseworks which were due in for Wednesday and I haven't done.. lul.

Just joined firmers group on facebook
I would say lucky you but those essays seem loooong. I've got nine exams unfortunately good luck, probably be seeing you in sept!
yahp
Rep:
?
I would say lucky you but those essays seem loooong. I've got nine exams unfortunately good luck, probably be seeing you in sept!
ah that's a lot, best of luck hopefully see ya in sept
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (221)
33.74%
No (434)
66.26%

Watched Threads