Why do snobs take their children to learn about war?

Watch
Gondur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
If your parents were like mine, they used to take you to some of the most boring places around. Castles and English heritage sites like stately homes where I used to listen to bigoted tour guides spout English history in the most biased way imaginable, which made England out to be a place of magic and dragons. This is fictitious and inaccurate.

What irks me is that museums and such places pay people to dress up in historical attire and tell overly contrived stories about British Kings in a way that young people would find fascinating. The snobs who take their children there should buy them a book and have them read what really happened, or wait until they can understand history themselves rather than have some bigot in a costume lie to them.

A lot of these historical places always depict England and its people as Saints. The language they use on plaques and leaflets is like language you would find in some dungeon role playing game. It's cringe worthy and to think parents are exposing their children to all kinds of historical distortions is disturbing to say the least.

The snobs who think these places are educational take their children to to show off. 'Oh my child is smarter than yours'. Here comes a peasant claiming benefits. Let's make sure he can see my child learn about glorious England because we're educated people.' The amount of jealously, women in particular, is laughable. Their children are enthralled by slogans and signs which are marketing strategies designed to steal more money from these dullards. 'Jorvik, the mighty Viking, slayed thousands of men with one swing of his sword'. Whilst he might have slain thousands of men, I doubt he did it with one swing of his sword. If we were teleported back to those times, then we would see that life wasn't this huge stage act these 'historical venues' portray it to be.

Children don't want to learn about history from an old racist bigot or nut job high on English patriotism. What they really want is an accurate book that tells the history from a neutral perspective written by an author who doesn't favour one country over the other.

/rant over.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gondur)
Children don't want to learn about history from an old racist bigot or nut job high on English patriotism. What they really want is an accurate book that tells the history from a neutral perspective written by an author who doesn't favour one country over the other.
When it comes to learning history most children want excitement and novelty. Why do you think the Horrible Histories series is so popular? Historical sites often play to this, knowing full well that a kid visiting don't want full blown lectures. Furthermore I'd say it is impossible to view history without bias. I'm not disagreeing that the standard of tours at some sites do need to be increased, but there is a reason why playing to the whole 'fantasy' notion is a common tactic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (46)
37.7%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.84%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.1%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
23.77%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (20)
16.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.2%

Watched Threads